• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can I make the squelch knob control RF gain

I use external speakers exclusively myself. I spend time analyzing incoming signals audibly and use the S/Rf meter to get a standard on those in range. That gives me an edge for determining who's who and how to work the radio to it's best advantage

Yes I realize that it might be pointless for a low cost radio but that is beside the point. Something's are just a learning experience or just fun to tinker with. Like putting cams and headers on your mustang or camaro when you could have bought a corvette.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes I realize that it might be pointless for a low cost radio but that is beside the point. Something's are just a learning experience or just fun to tinker with. Like putting cams and headers on your mustang or camaro when you could have bought a corvette.

Thought you were going to say a Pinto for a moment. (y)

So true. My dad always asks me why I don't just buy the car that I want. I say besides the fact that they don't make it, tinkering with things is half the fun.

2 pages of rubbish...
Yes, you can. I have done it before in many radios.
There are two ways to do that.
1. Adjust gain of rf amp transistor.
2. Add attenuator built with PIN diodes.

If you can provide schematic of this radio I can tell you how to do that.
Mike

Mike, you are correct in that it can be done. Then again a Cobra 29 CAN be made to put out 100 watts with enough mods to it. Of course the rf amp has the ability to have it's gain changed by changing the value of resistance around the active rf device. My point was that it was simply not a simple rewire of the pot to points X and Y especially to someone that has a very limited understanding of electronics to begin with as well as the fact that the radio is VERY basic and hardly worth any time or money spent on such a mod.

Also please refrain in the future from refering to previous posts as rubbish or garbage. That is how things go downhill fast.

I'd rather learn on a $20 radio than a $2000. That was kind of the point of picking it up. I know that the 505 is more difficult to modify due to SMT, but I'd still feel better about working with something less valuable as a learning experience.

Noticed that. Does midland actually make there CB-1?

Well,that's what these guys are calling it.
Midland CB-1 40-Channel CB Radio with RF Gain:Amazon:Car Electronics
I've been watching both the 505 & the cb-1 for months. They're at the lowest price right now. They were $39 a few days ago.
I've been told on this forum that the Midland is junk and the 505 can't be tuned up very much. Basically good for travel radios,convoy radios,etc.
The midland has RF gain control
https://midlandusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/CB-1-Spec.pdf
https://midlandusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/CB1-Manual.pdf

https://midlandusa.com/cb-radios/faq/
The CB-1 has a 1000 ohm electret mic on it

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.