• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can it work

BigLou

May 15, 2018
SW FL.
I have a KL 203 I got new sometime ago, I am now thinking of useing it.The question now is can I run it AND my OPTIMA MK3 on the same power supply?. I no I,d have to run the radio on LOW, can it be done?. The power supply is a ASTRON RS-20 . I only talk on SSB what do you think?

I would think the Yeticomm would overdrive and kill the KL203.
That's a high power radio as I recall.

Well in theory you probably can run both.

I guess what I am wondering is if the amp is worth it when the Yeticomm can probably do pretty close to the same output as that little amp.

Those are nice little amps but trying to drive them up to 100 watts is just a bad idea.
They work really well and run clean at 40-60 watts - which is pretty close to what the Yeticomm will probably do.

But, if you turn the radio down to drive it, I suppose you can run both of them without too much trouble. But one wrong move and the Yeticomm will probably smoke the KL203.

What is the peak wattage of the radio? Even if you turn the dead key down to 3, if the peak is more than about 12 watts then the amp won't like it. I turned my Stryker down to 1 watt and banged my tube amp until I realized what I was doing. My tubes sounded like talk back no lie.

Reactions: 357magnum
You might be able to just turn down the radio until the lights stop blinking on modulation peaks. An Astron should have a current limiter in it.

But the KL203 needs at least a 20 Amp supply for its needs alone.

The radio will be closer to 7 Amps max.

I find that mobile amplifiers behave better running from a separate power supply from the radio.

Then again, maybe you can turn it down far enough.

You may be dismayed by the actual improvement in wattmeter readings if you try this method.

And if you make the lights blink on this supply enough times, it will get tired of this and indeed go poof.

At least Astron includes that current limiter.

Reactions: Robb
I wouldn't risk it. Like Martian said "one wrong move and the Yeticomm will probably smoke the KL203. Sooner or later that will happen, most likely when you're making comparisons between using the radios full power vs. using the amp.

Reactions: 357magnum
While not ideal you could make it work. Since you ONLY want to talk on SSB set the radio for 6-8 watts PEP. Then you should be able to run both off that power supply easy. With the amp under driven like that it will draw 8-10 amps max, and the radio maybe 2. Like I said, not the best combo but you can make it work for what you want to do.

Yes you could run them together on that power supply but a megawatt 30 amp or 36 amp would probably work better.

On SSB as long as your peak output from the radio is 12-15 watts or less you shouldn't have any issues.

I wouldn't run that radio on AM with that amp unless you know exactly what you are doing. Carrier at 1.5w or less (amp should key around 20-30 watts) and max swing from the radio into the amp around 8-10 watts for around 100 watts on the amp output.

At those numbers they shouldn't draw too much power from the supply.

OK I just turnd the radio to off and it will still hit 7 watts PEP is that going to pop the amp?. And whats that going to be after the amp?. What I,m looking for is 100 watts PEP that's up to 50% over my 45 watts PEP with the radio .

OK I just turnd the radio to off and it will still hit 7 watts PEP is that going to pop the amp?. And whats that going to be after the amp?. What I,m looking for is 100 watts PEP that's up to 50% over my 45 watts PEP with the radio .
I almost hate to say this...Turn down the Optima so it keys 1-1.5w., get a Texas star 500 and have fun. Oh and put a nice low pass filter on it too.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I almost hate to say this...Turn down the Optima so it keys 1-1.5w., get a Texas star 500 and have fun. Oh and put a nice low pass filter on it too.
I concur. Sell the 203, (before it's too late) get a TS500, turn the Optima back up a little and letr eat. Get a separate power supply for the amp. Keep the one you have for your rig. With this kind of increase in output..I think you would be pleased with the results. 45 up to 100 is not as much of a difference as you might hope it will be..

As always you all have given me much info and I thank you all How ever I think I,ll tri it just to see how it works. I,ll let you all no if it go,s POP.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.