• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can someone explain why nobody uses upper sideband?

I remember when i first got licensed.
I got on 40 meters and heard two ops in Louisiana rag chewing, so of course I was nervous but I threw out my call sign.

Took several attempts before they acknowledged I was on the frequency.

I introduced myself and explained the working conditions, ft-890 100 watts and fan dipole.

One of the ops replied back they always use amplifier with a kw output.

I asked them why do they need to use a kw of power when the fcc rules state use the least amount of power to maintain the contact ( I was fresh out of the testing/studying mode for the license exam).

I figured if they could hear me well enough to maintain a qso and tell me basically I needed to run 1kw to be acknowledged on "their" frequency that neither of those ops needed to run 1kw just to rag chew within their own state.

So it is not just 11 meters that is full of "A" hole operators, the ham band has their share and then some.

I got on 40 meters and heard two ops in Louisiana rag chewing, so of course I was nervous but I threw out my call sign.

I introduced myself and explained the working conditions, ft-890 100 watts and fan dipole.

I asked them why do they need to use a kw of power when the fcc rules state use the least amount of power to maintain the contact ( I was fresh out of the testing/studying mode for the license exam).

I figured if they could hear me well enough to maintain a qso and tell me basically I needed to run 1kw to be acknowledged on "their" frequency that neither of those ops needed to run 1kw just to rag chew within their own state.

So it is not just 11 meters that is full of "A" hole operators, the ham band has their share and then some.
Ha!

Almost the same thing happened to me on 80 metres but with a twist. They really thought I was running power and we chatted forever. They said no power no talking on their frequency. I was in central Ontario Ca and they were in Maine.

Reactions: S&W357 and wavrider
As a ham, i always find myself going back to 11m, because it is downright fun, and there are a lot of great folks out there on the radio.
I feel some amateurs want to over complicate things by the way we speak on the air. it's pretty funny.
When it comes down to it, i just love radio, does't matter what band they all have their merits.

You hit the nail on the head.

When I was 18 - many years ago - we had a 23 channel Realistic Navaho TRC30A base that we used to talk from our house to our boat. My dad told me he'd pick up the tab for my ham gear if I studied and got my novice license. I studied, but I picked up a Realistic TRC 448 mobile SSB before I got around to taking the novice test. I hooked up the radio as a base and thoroughly enjoyed the SSB experience on 11 meters.

I had plenty of friends who had their ham tickets. On several occasions, I'd use their radios. On more than one occasion, I heard some arrogant, know-it-all, old-timer butt in to try to show up a new operator. There were plenty of pompous asses on ham bands. Being an ass with a ham ticket is no better than being an ass without one.

We've all dealt with the jerks. The bottom line is that regardless of where you operate, a good operator opens the doors to great experiences for everyone on the band.

And it continues on the ever popular slippery slope of hams versus CBers.

CK it is getting to be almost one and the same lately.

I was swl'ing on 17 meters today listen to an op in Maine complain to an op in illinois about how bad the repeaters are getting in his home town, the language, topics and general lack of courtesy. The op in illinois agreed and said his city repeaters are just as bad

Reactions: Red 5
CK it is getting to be almost one and the same lately.

I was swl'ing on 17 meters today listen to an op in Maine complain to an op in illinois about how bad the repeaters are getting in his home town, the language, topics and general lack of courtesy. The op in illinois agreed and said his city repeaters are just as bad

I was just throwing my two cents into the thread as a gentle reminder about what normally happens to threads when they go down that slippery slope of back-biting and name calling in the ham versus CB'er threads.

yes indeed CK yes indeed. These threads do seem to have a tendency to slide downhill quickly.

Reactions: Red 5
As a ham, i always find myself going back to 11m, because it is downright fun, and there are a lot of great folks out there on the radio.
I feel some amateurs want to over complicate things by the way we speak on the air. it's pretty funny.
When it comes down to it, i just love radio, does't matter what band they all have their merits.
Well said, I totally agree(y).

Reactions: Rick330man

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.