• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Can someone please help me??

undertaker

Undertaker
Apr 5, 2006
Texas
OK here's the deal my MFJ analyzer says my Imax swr is 1.4 which i know is right. Now the problem is the other day my Sirio tornado was 1.2 Now it is 8.8 today. This is nuts the last time i checked it 1.2 what the hell??
It seems to change everyday!!! And new high dollar coax!!

Bobby

Sounds like a short in the matching coil or where the tap point is attached to the coil. I think the wind and flexing is the culprit. The reason is due to poor manufacturing.

Bob has talked about this problem with some Sirio vertical antennas.

8:1 sounds like an open circuit somewhere, even if the screws rot & a section drops inside it would not be that high,

double check the coax plugs are ok, maybe put a dummyload at the antenna end & confirm low vswr,
then its time to take the tornado down and clean & tighten all connections,

sirio base antennas are riddled with issues that only show up over time,

the self tapping screws are stupid, they make a poor connection when new & get worse over time until they rot and sections drop inside,

i slot the tube and use hose clamps, others cross drill & use nuts & bolts,

the plastic joints are useless, throw them in the bin & use electrical tape,

grub screws work lose with vibration,

on sirio 827 besides the dissimilar metals causing open circuit coil connection issues,
pop goes you cb amp

the sintered hubs sirio use on most of their base antennas can go none conductive with weathering so you lose connection between the riveted top hub and the radiator on 827's,
pop goes your cb amp

tornado looks like rain & dirt can wash down between radiator and outer tube if you don't tape over the joint,
that over time would likely cause a problem it too is riveted together,

sorry to sound negative but i call a spade a spade,
i have had more blown amps given due to sirio open circuits than any other fault,
& fixed more sirios than i can remember..

I was looking for some video footage showing some performance results for the SP500, and I found this one below and he does talk about his construction and some dimensions for 10 meters, at 19' feet and for 11/12 meters at 22' feet.

I'm not to sure about this guy's dimensions at 10 meters, but he does make some contacts and he has some good looking equipment.

He never shows us clearly any matching results, but if you look close you can see most of the time this antenna is showing a very low Resistance <>24 ohms. So, we have no idea about the SP500 working 10 meters with a 19' radiator without using a Tuner.

Compared to the older HG antennas overall length setting at about 22' 6" to 22' 9" inches, at 11 meter back in the days...this is a 3+' foot difference going from 11 meter to 10 meters. So, I question that difference in length is not so workable, like a typical CB operator might find, if he uses this guys ideas at 10, 11, or 12 meters.

Again, I note that he appears to be working with his tuner on. He also talks about making the radiator longer and using the Tuner.

My model of the SP500 with the radiator set at 19' feet shows the center frequency is resonant at over 34 MHz not 28 MHz like this guy is suggesting.

So, just be cautious when looking for good information on the Internet.

Last edited:
undertaker.

there is only 1 local owns a new spt500 in my area & it was not up long enough to develope issues that only show up when wind & rain has had time to work its magic so i can only give a first impressions opinion based on what i have seen go bad in sirio antennas,

spt500 is not i-10k quality but

tube feels better quality than sirio tube,

it has hose clamps on the joints like quality antennas use,

no copper on aluminium to cause electrolytic problems like 827 has

its DC grounded unlike the tornado

has no sintered hubs that develope a none conductive surface with weathering

no rivets holding electrical connections

it has 4x 1/4wave radials that do significantly reduce common mode on the coax,

All plus points in my experience.

Question is it going to make any difference if I run the coax thru the middle of the tower or should it be on the outside?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.