• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got desperate. Ordered Sirio 2016 from UK

I would not add tape or anti seize. I would put it together the way the directions tell you and run.

Reactions: 314
£21 shipping from here to USA is very reasonable, its cost me much more to send stuff there,

Eddie,
the idea of swaging is to step down more than one tube size between sections to give a faster taper with less weight & wind load,

it allows antennas to withstand higher wind speeds than they would if they were built with a regular taper schedule & number of sections,

i-10k does the same wind beating trick with the short stubs stepping down 2 tube sizes on some joints,

i have seen enough sirio antennas rattling around when the screws rot & the holes go sloppy or sections drop inside the antenna to never assemble them with the rapidrust screws & cosmetic plastic bits sirio supply

imho the best method is to slit & tape the joints to stop dirt washing in like grinding paste & fit breeze aeroseal lightweight stainless clamps,

just about any method is better than the self tapping screws & eye/wind catching cosmetics sirio supply.

So I got desperate and wanted the darn Sirio 2016.

If they confirm the order tomorrow I'll be happy. Hopefully quieter than the A99 I'm currently running.

Want me to tell you why its quieter? Here's a clue:

maxresdefault.jpg

If you put ground planes on the A99 that'd shut it up a lot too. The Imax 2000 ground plane kit whilst it doesn't increase your signal it does reduce the noise floor by up to 12dB.

Read this, it applies equally to your A99 and every single end fed antenna there is.
http://www.copperelectronics.com/discus4/messages/7750/20506.html?1023340740

You've literally spent $152 to have the same antenna you currently have but with a half decent RF ground, something you could have achieved with your A99 with four 9ft lengths of scrap wire.

Want me to tell you why its quieter? Here's a clue:

maxresdefault.jpg

If you put ground planes on the A99 that'd shut it up a lot too. The Imax 2000 ground plane kit whilst it doesn't increase your signal it does reduce the noise floor by up to 12dB.

Read this, it applies equally to your A99 and every single end fed antenna there is.
http://www.copperelectronics.com/discus4/messages/7750/20506.html?1023340740

You've literally spent $152 to have the same antenna you currently have but with a half decent RF ground, something you could have achieved with your A99 with four 9ft lengths of scrap wire.

While this may true. The plan was for the 2016 to go to my NC property more than likely and the A99 stay here with me in the NJ state. Or vice a versa. Still up in the air on that decision.

Says shipped via UPS. ETA is tomorrow??

Heck I'd be happy with 1-3 weeks.
Like Wish :LOL:

My oldest son agreed to help me try it out (aka put it up) here in NJ where the A99 is. He has no idea. LoL

Reactions: S&W357
Sorry for my first reply, re-reading it it came across as a bit twattish - not been doing the best with this lockdown nonsense.

Post a review when you get it up and have had time to play. Try knocking up some radials for the A99 for an experiment to see if there's a difference. Using a quick and dirty method you could do it using a stainless steel hose clip round the metal tube section on the A99 just below the tuning rings and attach four 9ft lengths of wire to that bringing them down at an angle using something like paracord on the end to run to a suitable fixing point.

Sorry for my first reply, re-reading it it came across as a bit twattish - not been doing the best with this lockdown nonsense.

Post a review when you get it up and have had time to play. Try knocking up some radials for the A99 for an experiment to see if there's a difference. Using a quick and dirty method you could do it using a stainless steel hose clip round the metal tube section on the A99 just below the tuning rings and attach four 9ft lengths of wire to that bringing them down at an angle using something like paracord on the end to run to a suitable fixing point.

No worries. Was out for delivery today here in the local area. Just waiting for it now 4 days I'm not complaining. Went UK to Germany to here.

Rewrapped....interesting o_O Hopefully nothing lost or damaged. Makes one a little anxious for sure.

I had a PowerMax power supply that was scheduled for delivery by FedEx yesterday. Wasn’t delivered. Last night the tracking number showed it was rerouted back to the local FedEx hub 25 miles away. :( I expected the worst.

It was delivered today. Whew (y)

Rewrapped....interesting o_O Hopefully nothing lost or damaged. Makes one a little anxious for sure.

I had a PowerMax power supply that was scheduled for delivery by FedEx yesterday. Wasn’t delivered. Last night the tracking number showed it was rerouted back to the local FedEx hub 25 miles away. :( I expected the worst.

It was delivered today. Whew (y)

Going try a HP server power supply. 900w (75 amp) rated at 12.xx volts. Was $22 and premade converter board with switch and power v meter was $11. All shipped from US. Be neat to try out. 4 pill should be ok with 75 amp at 12.xx. Figured 60 amps at 13.8 for 4 pill, so 12.xx at 75 amp would equal out.

I'll never push the 4 pill as hard as most would anyway.

Order placed for the 400HD with a/b bias option.

Also read up how there is a pot inside the HP1200 (and most other supplies) to get to 12.8vdc. (y)

On another note my antenna is looking not good as I got the old "beyond our control" exception. :mad::(

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.