• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can someone please ID amp?

jim_jimjim

Jul 12, 2009
I was dusting off some old equipment and came across this amp, but no paperwork, specs, or anything else.

It was purchased in the late 80's or early 90's, and it got packed away soon after. It still seems to work ok, it powers up, the fan runs, the lights come on at the correct time.

I am hoping that someone can tell me if this might be worth saving, or if I own a really heavy paper weight with pretty lights.

I have attached some pictures, and I can take more if it will help.

Jim

Attachments

• AMP_front.jpg
    AMP_front.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 271
  • AMP_internal.jpg
    AMP_internal.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 232
  • Amp_close1.jpg
    Amp_close1.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 214
  • AMP_close2.jpg
    AMP_close2.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 247

jim, look at the rearside where the antenna connectors are, most of the time you will find a name or product name there, but it looks very much like the one I have, there seems to be two transistors in it, if they are MFR 454,s the amp willbe good for about 250 watts.The amp I have is from the brand SPOOKEN made in japan but I donot have documetation.
EA5HIY John

I was dusting off some old equipment and came across this amp, but no paperwork, specs, or anything else.

It was purchased in the late 80's or early 90's, and it got packed away soon after. It still seems to work ok, it powers up, the fan runs, the lights come on at the correct time.

I am hoping that someone can tell me if this might be worth saving, or if I own a really heavy paper weight with pretty lights.

I have attached some pictures, and I can take more if it will help.

Jim

Nice looking older amp bro, have no help for you

My name is Jim, but most people call me......................Jim
Gene Wilder / Blazing Saddles

Thats a good box and keeper Jim . I can't make out the numbers on the transistors ? MRF What ? I would certainly think much more then 250 watts with 4 transistors in it. Whomever ? is calling it a 600 , but from the looks of things , my guess would be around 400 pep anyway.

The amp is the forerunner of the TX 800 and LA 900 amps that were made by Steve in CA. It is a real good amp. Here is a link with info on the amp.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/amplifiers/29633-anyone-know-who-built-transmit-600-linears.html

Yep, Four MRF454's (probably), AB biased. Standard board design for the era (still in use today). Thermal regulation is probably achieved via diode that is notched through the board resting on the heat sink near one of the transistors. I'm not sure why they ran what appears to be all the extra heavy ground wire, but it's not hurting anything. Test it's power output. I bet it works fine.

Some of the TX 600's I have seen had house marked devices. Normally they were RF100 for the driver and RF150 for the finals. The 800's and 900's used a 2290 driving four 2879's. The 600's did not have a fan mounted on them when new.....the later models had two fans. Any version works good but tend to get warm when operated in the high power position even with the fans.

There was also a guy in Louisiana that built that "exact" amp...I owned one.

Buckshot on I 20 in LA built a few of them. He got the parts kits from Blue Jay in Jackson, MS who also built a few of them. There may have been others to do the same. Blue Jay got cases of them every week. 350's, 425's, 800's, 900's. He also supplied the amps for CB shops from Texas to Florida.

I'd love to have another TX 600. That was probably the best amp I ever owned. To me it did better than any of the rest of the models.

I'd love to have another TX 600. That was probably the best amp I ever owned. To me it did better than any of the rest of the models.

I had a TX600, it performed as well as any competition amp I have owned...I have regretted trading it off many times.

I never had the cover off because it was pop-riveted on, so I don't know the configuration...but it would swing 550 watts with nothing more than a Cobra 29 pushing (I assume it was a 1x2 of some sort?).

I had a TX600, it performed as well as any competition amp I have owned...I have regretted trading it off many times.

I never had the cover off because it was pop-riveted on, so I don't know the configuration...but it would swing 550 watts with nothing more than a Cobra 29 pushing (I assume it was a 1x2 of some sort?).

1 driving 4. Later models were a 2290 for the driver and 2879's for the finals.

Can Anyone Identify This Amp?

I suspect it is made by the same maker of the LA425 amp i am including pictures of. Good little amps. Mine in the pictures has one 2290 driving 2 2879,s. I hope this helps you. The cover is riveted on. I,ll trade you a tube amp for it!

Attachments

• bob 028.jpg
    bob 028.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 218
  • bob 029.jpg
    bob 029.jpg
    1,016.7 KB · Views: 199
  • bob 027.jpg
    bob 027.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for all the good information. Unfortunately (for me) this amp needs to go to help pay for the Sea World trip that I promised my 9 year old daughter.

I was going to try and put it up on e-bay, but I would rather have it go to someone who actually knows what to do with it.

If anyone here is interested, please PM me.

Thanks again for the info. Jim

P.S.= I was not my intention to join here just to sell this amp, but I'm sure it looks that way. I am going to go ahead and post this on e-bay tomorrow (7/15) if anyone is interested. Thank you all again for the great info.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.