• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can you really just connect any two radios with an audio cable like this and form a repeater? I.e., just connect them with an audio cable.

radiolearner

Sep 13, 2022
Can you really just connect any two radios with an audio cable like this and form a repeater?
Sorry in advance if it is a dumb question.

Last edited:

If each radio is using a separate, different frequency band it really can be that simple. This tends to prevent the transmitting radio from interfering with the receiving radio. Naturally if you want the receiving radio to key the transmitting radio only while it receives a distant station you need what they call a "COR" or carrier operated relay to key the transmit radio only while someone transmits on the receive channel. A COR is usually controlled from the receiving radio's squelch circuit.

He uses VOX to key the transmit radio only while someone is talking. Sound will be a bit choppy, but this simple trick does work as he claims.

As soon as you try to use two radios using the same band at the same time, problems arise with interference. The transmit radio will hammer the receiving radio's sensitivity to distant weak signals.

The tricks to get around that problem are a lot more complicated than this guy's setup.

If each radio is using a separate, different frequency band it really can be that simple. This tends to prevent the transmitting radio from interfering with the receiving radio. Naturally if you want the receiving radio to key the transmitting radio only while it receives a distant station you need what they call a "COR" or carrier operated relay to key the transmit radio only while someone transmits on the receive channel. A COR is usually controlled from the receiving radio's squelch circuit.

He uses VOX to key the transmit radio only while someone is talking. Sound will be a bit choppy, but this simple trick does work as he claims.

As soon as you try to use two radios using the same band at the same time, problems arise with interference. The transmit radio will hammer the receiving radio's sensitivity to distant weak signals.

The tricks to get around that problem are a lot more complicated than this guy's setup.

If I daisy-chain ten [10] Baofeng UV-5R's together, each receiver/vox pair in LOS (line-of-sight) to the next pair, to get around some really tall obstacles, would that work out ?
OR, SINCE THE UV-5R ONLY HAS TWO BANDS AND NOT 5 BANDS, I GUESS THAT WON'T WORK AT ALL ? Or, can I just use 5 different frequencies ?
Amazon product ASIN B07QLFNKTFAmazon product ASIN B074XPB313

Last edited:
Well, I followed the steps below (verbatim as best I can tell), except I had to use "144" instead of "155" since amazon says my ranges are 144-148mhz and 420-520mhz.
This is what happened: The repeater-TX kept saying "transmit overtime" over and over and over again, when I was not even doing anything. repeater-TX was getting very hot.
I tried the same thing using 444.780 and 144.780 (-300 offset) instead as the two frequencies. Then the green-LED of the repeater-RX did not stay on but the red of the repeater-TX stayed on incessantly. Also, the green on both "my radio" and "buddy radio" stayed on incessantly.

Last edited:
Well, I followed the steps below (verbatim as best I can tell), except I had to use "144" instead of "155" since amazon says my ranges are 144-148mhz and 420-520mhz.
This is what happened: The repeater-TX kept saying "transmit overtime" over and over and over again, when I was not even doing anything. repeater-TX was getting very hot.
I tried the same thing using 444.780 and 144.780 (-300 offset) instead as the two frequencies. Then the green-LED of the repeater-RX did not stay on but the red of the repeater-TX stayed on incessantly. Also, the green on both "my radio" and "buddy radio" stayed on incessantly.

I am thinking it is some sort of cable issue, because if I use no offsets at all on the repeater radios and simply put them side by side, I do get a repeating effect..... I don't know if it will diminish over distance that way.... versus a straight-cable.
In fact, regardless of what settings the two repeater radios have, as soon as you connect with the 2.5mm/3.5mm audio cable, one of the two radios (TX usually) will be on incessantly.

When you turn on offsets, you are transmitting on a different frequency than you receive on.
And I don't suggest you leave it set up in the 144/440 Mhz frequency range, you need a license to operate on those frequencies.
I don't know what version uv5r you have , but the ones I have are open full coverage.

Jeff

Reactions: radiolearner
When you turn on offsets, you are transmitting on a different frequency than you receive on.
And I don't suggest you leave it set up in the 144/440 Mhz frequency range, you need a license to operate on those frequencies.
I don't know what version uv5r you have , but the ones I have are open full coverage.

Jeff
Any thoughts on what the cable-problem might be. My cables are TRS (3pole) on both ends, 2.5mm into the 'speaker' of the repeater-RX and 3.5mm into the "mic" of the repeater-TX. My cable has only one prong/jack on each end, like this:

Amazon product ASIN B07QLFNKTF

Jeff
Even with the VOX turned off on the repeater-TX, as soon as I connect that 3.5mm into the mic-hole, boom, solid-red on that radio.

Jeff
This link seems to suggest a standard TRS cable is not wired correctly. Maybe that is the problem?

Reactions: AudioShockwav
The cables are shorting the ptt line and putting the radio into transmit as soon as you put them in.
You need to find the cable used in the video you posted then use VOX to trigger the transmit.
The suggestion about building a Yagi and pointing it were you want to talk is a good one..

This may be of use as a alternative.

Jeff

This link seems to suggest a standard TRS cable is not wired correctly. Maybe that is the problem?
Yes this shows why it is keying the radio when plugged in.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.