• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can you wire a power microphone to a Maxon MCB-30

Is a Maxon MCB-30 a good little Moble Radio?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Loud

• Not loud enough

• Total voters

Welcome! Is the antenna a mag mount? Best location is in the center of the roof. The first thing I would check is the SWR for the antenna to make sure it doesn't damage the radio when you transmit. One of our locals has the Stryker antenna, he really likes it. I am not sure what microphone connector the Maxon has, if it is the Cobra 4 pin style it would make it easy to try a power mic. The D104m6b is one of my go to mics.
Chris

Maxon makes several types of radios...AM/FM

Unfortunately - they are also spread amongst the different types of elements too...

The MCB-30 is Dynamic

The second problem is what pin out - MCB-30 is a 5-pin DIN (Half Moon) Style they also have 4-Pin Dynamic element - following Cobra Uniden 4-pin wiring...

Radios from Maxon, using the 5-pin style - follows this pinout

upload_2021-3-5_7-45-13.png

Or...

upload_2021-3-5_7-48-54.png

From two different units that use 5-pin from Maxon - they do have the same pinout...

• Pin 1 - Audio
  • Pin 2 - Transmit (Sorts to Pin 4 in TX)
  • Pin 3 - NC
  • Pin 4 - Ground/Shield
  • Pin 5 - Receive - Speaker Return (Shorts to Pin 4 in RX)

CAUTION:

Note in top (first) diagram - Pin 4 and Pin 3 use an internal Jumper (short) So Pin 3 shorts to Pin 4 ALL THE TIME

Be ready...

upload_2021-3-5_8-14-6.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
You may find this radio has some limiting factors. I would be surprised if it had an audio chip with enough headroom to really benefit from an amplified mic, without distortion first. With the stock AMC values, your end result may just be more sensitivity with increased background noise. If climbing up on the stock mic and talking loudly into it, does not noticeably increase the modulation level, an amplified mic is not likely to help a lot.

The receiver having no noise blanker could significantly reduce your ability to hear other weak stations too. Be careful when selecting a radio advertised as having a noise blanker. Some tell outright lies in their marketing. Like STRYKER on their SR-94HPC. Purchased specifically for the need of a noise blanker that was nothing more than a mislabeled ANL. Making the radio totally useless in two of the vehicles I've tried it in. Nearly deaf, due ZERO ability to handle impulse noise.

I'm not saying don't try the radio and see if it meets your needs. Just that if it doesn't, changing the radio may help more than you expect. The antenna you selected on the other hand, is an awesome performer. We have several locals who switched to them a few years back. One even added a parasitic reflector element behind it to form a mobile directional beam. The only thing some didn't like was the attention grabbing blue light. One local found that feature is easily removed by applying a few seconds of a 1,500 watt carrier and offers blue light removal service, for free.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.