• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Canada approved FM for CB

As a note several years ago a radio station on the southeast coast of Nova Scotia put in an FM rebroadcast transmitter to extend it's coverage area. The delivered the audio to the TX site via what is called an STL, or studio-transmitter link. This STL was in the 450 MHz band. They had to switch frequencies after the first summer because the traffic reports from the WCBS Boston traffic helicopter was over-riding the STL feed. Granted this was NOT F-layer propagation but rather tropospheric ducting. REALLY strong ducting. LOL
Tropo is very cool propagation.

Jeff

Tropospheric ducting is very cool, under the right conditions it can create incredible dx.
Here is some good info about ducting and how it works.

Well worth the read.
I used to run 14 elements on 2 meters and had a lot of fun on that band.

Reactions: Crawdad and Rwb
Tropospheric ducting is very cool, under the right conditions it can create incredible dx.

Well worth the read.

Ever take advantage of the Pineapple Express as they call it? Tropo ducting between Hawaii and southern California allowing 2m FM between them. That's a NICE 2500 mile opening when it happens.

Ever take advantage of the Pineapple Express as they call it? Tropo ducting between Hawaii and southern California allowing 2m FM between them. That's a NICE 2500 mile opening when it happens.
I never worked the islands on 2 meters, but during the " dog days of summer" we used to work FM simplex from the south valley up to a group in Yreka CA.

Tropo is cool.

Jeff

Reactions: NZ8N
Last edited:
Hey there Cookie55-
We have a small group here in west Texas and we recently started using FM. For local communications you can't beat the quality!! We love it and we're definitely glad that one of our buddies suggested we use FM, now that it's legal. If any of you have a group of people who like to talk on a regular basis, I highly recommend FM.
I keep trying to convince them but they are convinced FM there's no DX with FM and "lordy, where's my swing?"

Reactions: Brother DXer
I keep trying to convince them but they are convinced FM there's no DX with FM and "lordy, where's my swing?"
I understand. But more often than not, we'll get someone a few thousand miles away listening to us talk, and will join in the conversation. The first time it happened I couldn’t believe it! On FM??? But yeah, with the right conditions, it's definitely possible. And locally, I'd have a hard time going back to AM.

Well worth the read.
We had decent group in CT on 2m FM horizontal and everyone ran at least 7elm. Some guys ran stacked 2m9's. From central CT i could rag chew with a guy in Long island with 65watts with ease.
When tropo would pop in all sorts of crazy stuff would happen. One time we where talking to a guy in philly like he was local. NJ would pop in and out too.
Tropo is weird because when it moves it moves like a light switch. S9 then poof ,just gone.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
The new specifications will allow AM, FM, and SSB modes to be used on the standard 40 channels 26.965 - 27.405. Power output is 4 watts AM/FM and 12 watts on SSB.View attachment 60694
Original post here:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated