• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Canadian Smoke

Greg T

WDX-945 (Jazz Singer) Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Sep 18, 2014
Escanaba, Michigan
Anyone else suffering the effects of the Canadian fires? Up here, in Escanaba, we've had thick haze and gray days for nearly a month. Our light levels during the day are similar to a solar eclipse. If we get a south wind, it sometimes help clean up the air, but otherwise, we're under a steady Air Quality Alerts. I have some pics, but the actual density of the smog is difficult to see.

These pics are looking over Little Bay De Noc from a Ski hill.

Attachments

• IMG_3651.JPG
    IMG_3651.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3652.JPG
    IMG_3652.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3655.JPG
    IMG_3655.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3656.JPG
    IMG_3656.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 54

I feel your pain @Greg T
Every year in early spring, usually March, we get a lot of smoke coming in from Mexico. They light up their fields and pastures. They let them burn, sometimes for 3 to 5 weeks before they run out of fuel. Some years we're very fortunate and the winds take the smoke further west. And no, I haven't noticed any ganja in the air.

Reactions: Crawdad
Quite smoky here in N Ky today. Visibility down to 2mi or so. Must be really rough north of the border.

7 3
Smoke heavier today and can smell it. Visibility down to mile, mile and half in places. Feel bad for Canada.........

Reactions: whiteastro
Smoke heavier today and can smell it. Visibility down to mile, mile and half in places. Feel bad for Canada.........

Same here. The sun is out but it's like having a filter over it. We're under another Air Quality Alert for today. Recommended we stay inside or wear a respirator. Hopefully, they'll get some good hard rain, soon.

Last edited:
I read a article today that the French are helping Canada fight the fires and I hope the Americans are still up there helping. We have some Good Neighbors up above us and wishing the best for them!

I was reading a scary story about it being so bad out in Chicago that people without lung problems were having problems also, I wish for Canada to get some of this rain.
Yep it's true, according to the new reports we had/have the worst air quality in the world right now. There are thunderstorms coming so hopefully it can wash some of it away.

Mother Nature is un happy!! The story a forest ranger told me many years ago:
Before we came to this country (long time ago). Mother would send down a lightning strike and start a fire. The deer, bear, birds, human Indians and anything that could leave the area. Indians would just roll up their home (TP) tuck it under their arm and run to a near by stream or find away to go around and be on the back side.
The fire burnt all the fallen leaves, branches, and other stuff in the way.
Now we come here and build houses and dwellings that took hard work to build. We built fire pumps from horse drawn to modern super duty fire trucks to extinguish the fires. All of last fall's leaves, branches, and trash that Mother didn't catch on fire builds up over years time. So now we have "controlled burns" and still have unburnt stuff down in crevice's and protected from rain and the sun dries out the stuff.
IF? We could let the fires go we would still have smaller fires But not square miles of built up kindlin feet deep in the forest that burns for days. We just have to learn how to steer the fires once a year I think. This is NOT a climate thing folks this is Mother's way. As I was told by the State forest range backin the 1950's.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.