• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB and the FCC

Another good source of Ham Radio stuff is ....other hams!
If you have a scanner, listen around in your area for 2 meter or 440 nets on the weekends, often they will have a "swapShop" after a net once or twice a month. I picked up a very nice Yaesu Ft 101E with speaker and Freq counter for $175 bucks. And the best thing, it was only a 40 min drive away, and I was able to look it over, before I had to hand it over :D , meet another radio nut(like me), and had a great cup of coffee to boot.
Just another idea.

Jeff

hey...

both Ebay and other Hams are good sources..
i perfer to simply buy my stuff new..

takes awhile (been collecting maybe 2.5 yrs)

managed t get a ok set up

i use

Icom 706 MKIIG
Icom SM-20 desk power mike
Icom T-90A ht
Icom IC-R3 reciever
Kenwood TH-F6A HT

Jay's Interceptor I-10K vertical
Comet GP-9 dual band vertical

Creative Design RC5 rotor

Gulfalphaantennas.com (beams)
16 element 430-450 mhz
12 element 222-225 mhz
dual polarity 9 + 9 element for 144-148 mhz

Andrews Heliax (feedline - coax)
LDF5-50A (350 ft)
LDF7-50A (165 ft)

to many ht antennas
meters
antenna analizers
antenna tuners
frequency analizers

power supplys
20 amp
30 amp
35 amp
40 amp
45 amp

retired radios and mikes and antennas
RCI-2970
AR-3500
GTL-146
TRC-23A

D104-M6 with tone hand held
D104 silver eagle
Plus 2 desk power mike

A99
big stick
D-2500
K-40

Plus way too much to remember lol

But to eaches own

am now looking into a couple of motorola HT's

I'v been involved in CB since the earlys 70's when I was a kid. I love it and going above 40 was always for the pureist DXers. I only talk SSB and mainly DX so to expand the frequencys will kill our hobby that is almost dead now. :twisted: :x

jc4950 said:
I'v been involved in CB since the earlys 70's when I was a kid. I love it and going above 40 was always for the pureist DXers. I only talk SSB and mainly DX so to expand the frequencys will kill our hobby that is almost dead now. :twisted: :x

Probably will be expansions--just not on 27 MHZ. It's hard (tho not impossible) to DX on 150/460 MHZ. ;)

CWM

Do you think they'll get rid of CB on 27 mhz ? I think that would be hard to impliment given the millions of CB's out there. It wasn't that hard to go to 27 because hardly anyone was buying the old sets for the old CB freq.

I've been thinking about how hard it would be to kill 27Mhz if the Gov't really wanted to. If I was the FCC, I think I would go about it this way: First, make an general annoucement that in 2 years, CB's will no longer be legal, and the service will be replaced by [whatever]. That gives the major manufactures enough time to gear up for the new devices and put them to market. Then as the date approaches, start doing major marketing campaigns so the public knows. Send out notices to weigh / inspection stations so the officers can inform truckers ahead of time that they will need to switch over. Then to actually kill the CB service, I think all you would have to do is render it useless for about 6 months. In every major city, you run a carrier that quickly changes between all 40 channels, plus a few above and below to get those that try to move there. Then any time a CB is found in a vehicle by law enforcement, it's just confiscated. That would pretty much force the conversion to the new band.

Moleculo said:
I've been thinking about how hard it would be to kill 27Mhz if the Gov't really wanted to. If I was the FCC, I think I would go about it this way: First, make an general annoucement that in 2 years, CB's will no longer be legal, and the service will be replaced by [whatever]. That gives the major manufactures enough time to gear up for the new devices and put them to market. Then as the date approaches, start doing major marketing campaigns so the public knows. Send out notices to weigh / inspection stations so the officers can inform truckers ahead of time that they will need to switch over. Then to actually kill the CB service, I think all you would have to do is render it useless for about 6 months. In every major city, you run a carrier that quickly changes between all 40 channels, plus a few above and below to get those that try to move there. Then any time a CB is found in a vehicle by law enforcement, it's just confiscated. That would pretty much force the conversion to the new band.

I like the way you think! :D However, I, like you, think the cat's out of the bag. Them fellers "will git my CB when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands, 10-fer?" :p It would be a tough logistical and political decision.

Getting rid of 27 MHZ CB would have definite advantages. The worst thing they ever did was to effectually deregulate CB radio. It led up to the lawlessness and outlaw mentality we have now. Out of ALL the radio services, if CB radio were regulated as others are, it's violations would FAR exceed that of all other services combined. It has a bad reputation. Sometimes, people try to point fingers at ham violations in a feeble attempt to justify their own misdeeds. On average the weekly total of hams actually garnering a citation is about 4 out of 600,000. If FCC actively enforced every violation on CB the way they do ham, the numbers of busts would FAR exceed the ones on ARRL and Rain Report. NO LIE! :D

On the OTHER hand, keeping CB on 27 MHZ kinda keeps the cows in one pasture. Who wants 'How 'boucha, ya got an ole copy" on 146.94, or 155.350? :shock: If we could just keep 'em ON 27 instead of wandering all over the 10 Meter band!

I don't have anything against CB radio in itself. It *could* be a good thing. But I have the utmost contempt and derision for the outlaws that show up on licensed frequencies cuz 'they gots them rights as a "Mer-kin" citizen to tawk on them channels" Or "I cain't see no reason why I can't talk up 'ere"
then proceed to DO it.

The rest is (CENSORED!) :D

CWM

.First, make an general annoucement that in 2 years, CB's will no longer be legal, and the service will be replaced by [whatever]. That gives the major manufactures enough time to gear up for the new devices and put them to market. Then as the date approaches, start doing major marketing campaigns so the public knows. Send out notices to weigh / inspection stations so the officers can inform truckers ahead of time that they will need to switch over. Then to actually kill the CB service, I think all you would have to do is render it useless for about 6 months. In every major city, you run a carrier that quickly changes between all 40 channels, plus a few above and below to get those that try to move there. Then any time a CB is found in a vehicle by law enforcement, it's just confiscated. That would pretty much force the conversion to the new band.

Uhmm, Then I take it that "all" cb radios would be export models?

I can hear it now......

" Hey Bob, did you see that thing on TV about CB radios, they are not going to make them any more.
Bob says " no ****?
Yep I am going to order 3 and stick them up in the closet! Better get them while you can!"

J/Peng might thank you personally for that. ;)
And I am sure they will stop building exports.

The FCC barely has the budget to enforce 8 or 10 hi-profile cases a year when it comes to "user level" CB guys, how are they gonna pull off such a $$ intensive, national AD campain on limited financial resources and manpower.
Only now has enforcment stepped up due to the fact "most" of the NALs going out are internet based stuff.

It is not real demanding to "google" export radio, and make a list. The funding has to come from somewere, and that keeps getting cut, not increased.

Same as the deal with pulling them at DOT stations. It would take an enormous amount of manpower to do that...it would take years.
And what are you gonna do about the Base Radios?
House to house?
Who is gonna pay for and install the transimters for the jamming.
And how many Kw do you think they would need to run to do the Job. :LOL:

If the guys at work were trying to sell me this one.......I don`t know.
Id tell them lets have a beer and think about....

Jeff

Let's see. A 100KW jammer owned and operated by Uncle Sam. I wonder if it would cause interferance with any other frequencies? Might a child get cancer from the strong RF?

Ain't gonna happen.

Here's the thing everyone is missing. I hate to say it, but not many young people are into CB radio. I scan up and down on the band all night and its dead. I get the oldtimers on 38 and 39 LSB at night that I chat to but if not for them, it quiet. It will pick up again when the new cycle starts in a few years but now, I can talk all day and night long to central Long Island or farther. Here in Central NJ, CB is not popular. I love the radio and don't want to nock it or it down, I'll always be on the side listening. Just keep it alive and 73s guys. Joe

bunnieman said:
Cheech said:
Thing that stops me from amateur is the price of the equitment! Starting out on 2 Meter is ok but all the thing cost an arm and a leg! And yes Iknow some CB stuff cost a crap load to but nothing like amateur equitment and Im not rich so I run into a bit of a problem! If the stuuf was cheaper I would have been into it a long time ago.

Thats a cop out. You spend how much on a Suckohoochi multi-squechl-o-matic rig? Now how much for the skullit-crackin-dave-texas-omati 200 pill compition box? Now I gotta have like 4 alternators. You still with me.

I bought an entire HF station off fleabay for oh 300 bucks. And thats a 757GX, A MFJ tuner, and a 30a Astron powersupply. I made a multiband dipole for oh... 5 bucks and feed it with oh 10 bucks worth of ladder line.

So tell me again what is too expensive? :roll:

Ok, I guess you could spend 10K+ on a Icom/yaesu T.O.L rig. 6K+ on an Alpha amp and heavens knows how many K+ on a 200ft rotating tower with stacked yagi arrays for each conceivable band but i dont have that.
Funny wish I had the money to buy stuff like that! Realy do, I sure dont own any radio equitment that cost over 200 bucks. Notice the signature. Everything except my 25 is used equitment.

o

Funny wish I had the money to buy stuff like that! Realy do, I sure dont own any radio equitment that cost over 200 bucks. Notice the signature. Everything except my 25 is used equitment.

Bunnieman spent around $315 for a radio that gives him EIGHT bands of coverage. So, realistically, dollar for dollar, which one is actually the better value? Breaking it down by band coverage, he spent $39.37 PER band. If you had to buy a radio for EACH single band at--even $100 per band, you are talking $800! :shock: For one used radio at, say...........$100 for the ONE band of 40 channels (of course, regular WalMart CB's can be had cheaper used), the ham radio, IMHO, is still cheaper.

Let's say one wants to get into ham radio at the Technician level and wants to buy a decent 2 Meter radio. NEW ones can be had for a little more than $230, and used, depending on age, for as little as $50! 8) You can find handheld 2M rigs for that, too. So by comparing what each user gets for his money, the ham is still getting a better deal. Park the two operators beside each other and have a test to see which one can talk farther for his money (assuming legal for legal). The ham will access repeaters that will send his signal up to 100 miles with telephone quality; the CBer is lucky to get out 20 miles with his barefoot CB. And even without the VHF repeater, the VHF radio, operating simplex, is still likely to out-talk the CB radio. Yes, it is apples to oranges in the technological sense, but which is STILL the better deal dollar for dollar? Taking it a step farther, the ham can not only talk farther and more reliably, he can do it over and over and over again whereas the CBer *might* talk to a station today, but can't tomorrow.

Yes, I have approximately $2000 tied up in radio equipment. But I don't buy it all at once, either. It was accumulated over a period of 40 years--a widget here and a radio there--until I arrived at a point where I have a pretty decent station(s). I also have a pretty good hobby woodworking shop with tools from hand tools to power tools to table saws, planers--even a
Shopsmith. But I didn't come by that all at once, either. That, too, was started in high school--a tool here and a gadget there. *Most* of us don't just go out and load up with everything we need at once.

I, too, wince when I see the price of the IC-7000. NICE! But I am not going to race out to buy it 'just cuz'. I don't need it. Should I have to replace a rig, uh, yeah, maybe. But even then it would likely be used. I can't afford to buy each new thing that comes along.

But the point is, I believe that the Amateur radio is still the better value, both in the technological area, dollar value, and the satisfaction value to the owner simply because he gets FAR more back for his money. Look at a CB radio from 1979. Look at one circa 2005. WHAT has really changed about CB radios in those 26 years? Nothing! :( Same with the 1979
Swan 350. Then fast forward to 2005. Take the cost of the IC706 and factor in not 8 bands, but 12 (when you consider VHF, UHF, and the general coverage receiver and scanner capabilities). Divide it into $995 used as an average figure for a NEW ham rig. It comes out to about $83 per band! :D

Finally, I would speculate that most CBers--at least the ones I have known---have bought, are buying, or now own MORE than 200 bucks worth of radios and accessories :D So I don't think that comparing Amateur equipment with CB radios is a fair comparison without comparing the VALUE received. ;)

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated