• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB and the FCC

You can buy an yaesu ft2800 2 meter rig new for around 155 bucks, then what? The area where I live there is very little activity on 2 meters, even the repeaters sit unused not for hours but for days. There is still far more activity on cb than there is on the ham bands even with the slow dx cycle, simply because there are by far many more users. Now don't get me wrong ham is great but unlike what CWM would have you to believe, you will find many of the same things on the ham bands that you find on the cb, and the hf bands are just as sunspot dependent as 27 mhz is just at varying degrees. You will also find jerks and anal retentive yahoo's there just like you find on cb, you will also find guys that take it for what it is, a playpretty and just want to talk and have good time doing it, they are the ones that are fun to talk to. You know when I hear the same 10 or 12 guys running these nets everyday for a hour then the move 20 khz and start over using another net name, I find myself turning the knob to the far left and turning the old cb on and talking to the truckers, at least most of the time they talk about things that make me laugh. As far as the goverment ever expanding the cb 11 meter band goes, I don't know if they will or not, I am sure that if cb as a whole had a lobbying board in dc they would come a whole lot closer than they will by growling on the inet. This nonsense that they can't do this that or the other is just that they can and will do whatever they want to, that includes giving 11 meters more or selling 10 meters to alltel. It all revolves around money, and if the yahoos in the fcc smell money there is not a treaty in the world that will hold them back..

yama junk owna said:
You can buy an yaesu ft2800 2 meter rig new for around 155 bucks, then what? The area where I live there is very little activity on 2 meters, even the repeaters sit unused not for hours but for days. There is still far more activity on cb than there is on the ham bands even with the slow dx cycle, simply because there are by far many more users. Now don't get me wrong ham is great but unlike what CWM would have you to believe, you will find many of the same things on the ham bands that you find on the cb, and the hf bands are just as sunspot dependent as 27 mhz is just at varying degrees. You will also find jerks and anal retentive yahoo's there just like you find on cb, you will also find guys that take it for what it is, a playpretty and just want to talk and have good time doing it, they are the ones that are fun to talk to. You know when I hear the same 10 or 12 guys running these nets everyday for a hour then the move 20 khz and start over using another net name, I find myself turning the knob to the far left and turning the old cb on and talking to the truckers, at least most of the time they talk about things that make me laugh. As far as the goverment ever expanding the cb 11 meter band goes, I don't know if they will or not, I am sure that if cb as a whole had a lobbying board in dc they would come a whole lot closer than they will by growling on the inet. This nonsense that they can't do this that or the other is just that they can and will do whatever they want to, that includes giving 11 meters more or selling 10 meters to alltel. It all revolves around money, and if the yahoos in the fcc smell money there is not a treaty in the world that will hold them back..

Well, FCC isn't so powerful that they can just arbitrarily "give" spectrum away. Those treaties are binding and carry a lot of weight and bargaining power. Powers higher than FCC dictate that. And there's other agencies that can stop FCC from just doing what they will.

The difference in sunspot activity vis a vis cb and ham, is when 10 and 11 Meters die, there is usually SOMETHING going on down the band (called MUF which you must know about), and the ham can simply move down to 20 or 40 meters. I've found the best DX on 20 Meters from S. America to Russia. With the Amateur frequencies, one isn't limited to 27 MHZ.

On VHF, my area is usually hopping with activity on 2 Meters.
There over 8 repeaters that I can touch from home, and they are intermittantly busy depending on the time of day. There's always someone in the mornings and evenings, quieter during the day. One of the machines that can be accessed from here is Mt Mitchell, NC at 6600 feet. It can reach out to NC, SC, Georgia, Tennessee and even Kentucky. Very active machine.
Probably a 300 mile radius coverage!
It's all in what you like. Me, I love to listen to a technical discussion on antennas or circuitry, and to me, the jargon, antics, and "cutesy" way of talking on CB is ho hum boring; not amusing at all. Actually, the over-loud, peaked & clipped CB's sound AWFUL to me and I quickly tire of listening to it. So, to each his own. Both serve their own purpose, and perhaps, a different clientele. What's silly to one, is intelligent interaction to another! :D

>>>Me, I love to listen to a technical discussion on antennas or circuitry, and to me, the jargon, antics, and "cutesy" way of talking on CB is ho hum boring; not amusing at all.<<<

Then why in the world do you find it so appealing to type it out? Maybe 1% of your posts are technically related? I know your agenda, but it seems you fail to realize what potential lies about.

If the FCC cannot give away any spectrum for whatever whim it wants...but it can give away some.

Is there anything barring the FCC from allocating portions of the freeband to the CB band?

Fore example, who is allocated use of 27.555 or 26.915? Perhaps that agency or business would be willing to give it up in exchange for something more usefull.

Kind of how the FCC planned to move Nextel off of 800MHz.

C2 said:
>>>Me, I love to listen to a technical discussion on antennas or circuitry, and to me, the jargon, antics, and "cutesy" way of talking on CB is ho hum boring; not amusing at all.<<<

Then why in the world do you find it so appealing to type it out? Maybe 1% of your posts are technically related? I know your agenda, but it seems you fail to realize what potential lies about.

If the FCC cannot give away any spectrum for whatever whim it wants...but it can give away some.
Has to do with who had jurisdiction. They don't have authority over ALL of it (NTIA)

Is there anything barring the FCC from allocating portions of the freeband to the CB band?
YES! It's called NTIA.

Fore example, who is allocated use of 27.555 or 26.915? Perhaps that agency or business would be willing to give it up in exchange for something more usefull.

This is from the Charlie Michael CB group)

What is this.......
"Free-Band Radio"?

Another compelling reason for unauthorized frequency operation is that countries other than the US are authorized on frequencies outside the 26.965 to 27.405 MHz US allocation.

-----------WARNING-------------
Frequencies To Avoid

25.100 - 26.670 MHz..... these frequencies are used by Broadcast Remotes

26.620 MHz..... this is the Civil Air Patrol frequency for search and rescue. (Inaccurate)

26.800 MHz..... Military and Border Patrol.

26.945 MHz..... FAA -STAY CLEAR!!!

27.575 and 27.585 MHz.....why anyone would talk on these frequencies is beyond me - they are used by the FCC, Coast Guard, FAA and just about every U.S. Government Agency for low powered communications.

27.720 MHz..... NASA and Air Force in Florida.

27.750 and 27.785 MHz.....these are both US Navy and US Coast Guard. The reason to stay off these two frequencies would be quite clear if you ever monitor them.

27.870 MHz.....NASA and Air Force in Florida.

27.900 MHz..... used by both the US Army and Navy operations.

27.980 MHz.....U.S. Coast Guard.

Other frequencies are used for FM broadcast remote pickup. Some are forestry, forest products, and land mobile.

If these frequencies "weren't useful", I would imagine they would've been re-assigned years ago. But they ARE useful to the agencies who hold them.

I didn't take time to look up the specific use for 27.555 and 26.915. Betcha they are assigned as well.

I also know of one instance where a "freebander" interferred with an actual search and rescue operation on 26 MHZ and got zapped with a huge fine for it. He didn't think he was bothering anything, either! :shock:

CWM

Yes, but all of those allocations are for US entities. How does NTIA come into play?

For example, why can't the FCC just coordinate with the USGOV if they would not mind giving up their unused frequency?

I'm not saying the coast guard should or would, but they could, just like the rest and just like Nextel.

So the argument that the FCC or that the greatest and most powerful nation in the world "cannot" because of some treaty is a bogus argument. I believe that it could be done and that in this specific case, NTIA or any other international treaty has nothing to do with it.

But the argument of if it should or would happen is different.

I suppose also that the FCC could just allocate the 28 to 29.7 band to a new class of amateur...one that operates under the exact same rules as CB operators, or make the license so dang easy to get, all you would have to do is know where the FCC field office is and register your station, like GMRS, etc...

It could happen.

Not saying is should or would.

But it could happen.

C2 said:
Yes, but all of those allocations are for US entities. How does NTIA come into play?

For example, why can't the FCC just coordinate with the USGOV if they would not mind giving up their unused frequency?

I'm not saying the coast guard should or would, but they could, just like the rest and just like Nextel.

So the argument that the FCC or that the greatest and most powerful nation in the world "cannot" because of some treaty is a bogus argument. I believe that it could be done and that in this specific case, NTIA or any other international treaty has nothing to do with it.

I suppose also that the FCC could just allocate the 28 to 29.7 band to a new class of amateur...one that operates under the exact same rules as CB operators, or make the license so dang easy to get, all you would have to do is know where the FCC field office is and register your station, like GMRS, etc...

It could happen.

But it could happen.

You haven't been paying attrention. FCC does NOT control any freqs used by the U.S, government and military auxillaries. Period. End of story. That's NTIA terrirory. FCC can't touch it They can't "coordinate" it. They don't even own it!

As for "mere" treaties? Governments negoiate them in order to calmly set up certain rules to make international relationship work. There IS a treaty regarding international radio frequency assignments for almost the entire shortwave spectrum. More lhan one. Dozens and dozens of them. Treaties are not "mere" things. Agreements between countries are not "mere."
Is the treaty that stopped atmospheric nuclear bomb testing "mere?" The two most powerful nations in the world signed that treaty. Along with some lesser ones who had mukes. How about the ones that have limited the numbers of missles with nuke warheads? Both signed by the two most powerful governments in the world?

"Mere" treaties....hmmm...how about the various shortwave broadcast stations? They're mostly on several groups of freqs and not spread out all over the spectrum. OH! More MERE TREATIES! And a treaty created the ITU, which oversees all of international radio operations.

Inrernational airplaine flights come under various "mere" treaties that dictate safety, experienced crews, communications, and aircraft control. Treaties are nver "mere."

Treaties are never mere pieces of paper

OK, BK. I see the problem. Perhaps these answers would have made more sense?

bandaid kid said:
C2 said:

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) is the President's principal adviser on telecommunications and information policy issues, and in this role frequently works with other Executive Branch agencies to develop and present the Administration's position on these issues. In addition to representing the Executive Branch in both domestic and international telecommunications and information policy activities, NTIA also manages the Federal use of spectrum; performs cutting-edge telecommunications research and engineering, including resolving technical telecommunications issues for the Federal government and private sector; and administers infrastructure and public telecommunications facilities grants.

Here is where I guess I made a mistake? I should not have used the word "coordinate." In the context I was using it in was, "why can't the FCC just WORK WITH the USGOV..."

I still think I am right. There is not some international treaty that prevents the FCC or the USGOV from allowing the CB band to be expanded an additional +/-40 channels. What I mean is that, since NTIA does all that it says it does above, that it "could" happen.

OK, and NTIA has only been around since 1978 (28 years). It is also possible that some day NTIA will no longer exist. The same may be true of CB.

It could happen.

And I really wonder if they actually could do this? I think they (the FCC) could, if they wanted to.

But it could happen.

You haven't been paying attrention. FCC does NOT control any freqs used by the U.S, government and military auxillaries. Period. End of story. That's NTIA terrirory. FCC can't touch it They can't "coordinate" it. They don't even own it!

Yes, I WAS paying attention. I think you just had that deer-in-the-headlights stare on that one word, "coordinate." Ahhh, but your right, it actually is NTIA's territory. I had not really looked up NTIA, that is why I ASKED what they had to do with it. But at least I did suggest that the FCC could "work with" the USGOV.

As for "mere" treaties?

I never said "mere" treaties. I said that claiming that the CB band cannot be expanded due to some treaty is a bogus argument. "Some" treaty does no mean "mere" treaty.

Governments negoiate them in order to calmly set up certain rules to make international relationship work. Yeah, so...There IS a treaty regarding international radio frequency assignments for almost the entire shortwave spectrum. More lhan one. Dozens and dozens of them.Yeah so, again...is there one that prohibits the expansion of the CB band like we've talked about? Is there, huh? I really don't know. There could be one, I willing to gamble and say that there is NOT. Treaties are not "mere" things.Never said they were. Agreements between countries are not "mere." Never said that either.
Is the treaty that stopped atmospheric nuclear bomb testing "mere?" The two most powerful nations in the world signed that treaty. Along with some lesser ones who had mukes. How about the ones that have limited the numbers of missles with nuke warheads? Both signed by the two most powerful governments in the world?

"Mere" treaties....hmmm...hmmm, yep, you were starting to ramble. I never said treaties were "mere" things. So where did that really come from? how about the various shortwave broadcast stations? They're mostly on several groups of freqs and not spread out all over the spectrum. Yeah, so? CB is not spread out all over the spectrum, nor wouold expanding it spread it out all over the spectrum. So what is the point of throwing that in? Ironically, ham radio IS spread out all over the spectrum. OH! More MERE TREATIES! More with "mere" treties? Are you OK? And a treaty created the ITU, which oversees all of international radio operations. Now your starting to actually say something. ITU was what I was thinking of. I wonder though if they would even NEED to be involved since the frequency spectrum in question is already under full US allocation.
But what do I know about it?

Inrernational airplaine flights come under various "mere" treaties that dictate safety, experienced crews, communications, and aircraft control. Treaties are nver "mere."

Treaties are never mere pieces of paper More with the "mere'treaty ramblings???

At least I can give you guys credit, your sure passionate about your opinions.

Treaty; what treaty applies to prohibiting the expansion of the CB radio spectrum?[/b]

C2 said:
OK, BK. I see the problem. Perhaps these answers would have made more sense?

bandaid kid said:
C2 said:

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) is the President's principal adviser on telecommunications and information policy issues, and in this role frequently works with other Executive Branch agencies to develop and present the Administration's position on these issues. In addition to representing the Executive Branch in both domestic and international telecommunications and information policy activities, NTIA also manages the Federal use of spectrum; performs cutting-edge telecommunications research and engineering, including resolving technical telecommunications issues for the Federal government and private sector; and administers infrastructure and public telecommunications facilities grants.

The "private sector" issues deals with what I suppose means interference between Federal government and civilian communications and makes rulings on that when needed.

Could the NTIA itself decide it will free up space in the areas just outside CB and give it to CB? I suppose it could do so but how likely is that to happen? Many of those freqs deal with search and rescue operations for CAP. That's what the "SAR" reference and "AUX" means in that list. MARS isn't likely to give up any freqs, and the Feds aren't likey to agree to vacate freqs. And although I can't prove it, much of the vacant space in those lists are military and other spaces are guard freqs to lessen interference.

Could a business agree to vacate freqs? Multiple stations share freqs. No business has exclusive use of a freq. You'd have to get 30 or more businesses to agree to vacate a channel to enlarge CB. And the expense to install new radios would not be cheap. I doubt it would happen.

I guess you would have to approach NTIA if you want to make changes in freq allocation for CB. But even they don't own a lot of vacant space there, and they have to observe treaties, too. And don't forget: just because you can't hear anything on a freq, it doesn't mean it's empty.

po

Simply won't happen. Period. Why? Looking at it from the standpoint of the US gov't, CB radio is a a toy--a civilian toy that DOES serve *some* purpose tho the headaches it causes would make one wonder if the benefit is worth the cost. Therefore, because CB was once the first consumer-oriented radio communications medium, it has now been replaced by much more effective means that couldn't even have been imagined in 1958. Computers, Instant Messages, Faxes from home, email, sending photos via cellphone, using the cellphone as a camera and developing the photos from a computer file--these are the things that serve the WHOLE public's communications needs. The basic make up of radio spectrum is pretty well set so far as HF is concerned. Adding more to an outmoded (in the eyes of the regulatory experts) radio service such as CB simply won't happen. CB radio had it's day in the '70's when it was a huge fad that ALSO awakened in the public a demand for more and better means of communications besides a phone booth. In that respect, you might say that CB radio had a hand in the burgeoning electronics market in the '80's. So, today, CB radio is a minor player in the land mobile area and will not be expanded in any way except for the new VHF/UHF venues as spectrum is vacated "upstairs".
For those that want hobby communications, for a small price (study and a minor fee for supplies for the VE's), Amateur Radio is the way to obtain it.

And, btw, the 10 Meter band IS governed by ITU treaties signed by the US and will not be "given" to anybody. Yes, member nations may petition for changes in various bands (changes scheduled to go into effect are moving shortwave broadcast stations off 40 Meters). CBers can forget about getting 10 Meters--it's just not gonna happen. But CBers CAN access it and all of Amateur Radio by passing the required tests and have at it (legally, of course) :D

CWM

Computers, Instant Messages, Faxes from home, email, sending photos via cellphone, using the cellphone as a camera and developing the photos from a computer file--these are the things that serve the WHOLE public's communications needs.

CW, I think the things above have their purpose but I don't think they replace cb. The above are continual cost. CB is cheap mobile to mobile base to base and base to mobile communication for local.The cell is nice but as I said costs monthly and adds up. Cell didn't replace the phone nor did it replace the camera. Email hasn't replaced the post office. So I don't think these things have replaced the CB.Sure they take away from each other but I can't call a truck or vehicle on the highway that I don't know the cell# for conditions ahead.Nor email them. Yep, I think CB still has its place and very useful. As far as extra channels being given, probably not but CB's demise has been prdicted for decades and is still going strong dispite others disdain for it.

The way I look at it,even with all the "modern communication " sources at my disposal: 2 phones ,one with Beep-Beep function ;) 8) (Nextel and Verizon still have dead zones )
My CB will never be replaced and in my business they make life more efficient,(even if I "Go Up" ;) :shock: :shock: ! A click")..........2 meter and company radios proved to be outdated and underpriced by Nextels, NOT CB,s...

Plus with all the money being spent on the "New Craze" handhelds , FCC has another "Wave" or "Band" to chase........Parents are buying these to lower their outrageous "Cell" bills....try telling teenagers they can't use all the channels on these "Lil toys" ;) :p :shock: .....Watch how quickly they "HOP" these up....We are talking about the generation that "Bounces" their rides down the road with their musical toys....

Snoope back hiding in the snow............Ho-Ho-Ho

CWM said something about cb's being nothing but toys, I hate to bring it to everyone's attention but all of our radios are nothing but playthings, like it or not in the scheme of important things in the world, CB, HAM, FRS, GMRS, MURS, and any of the others that I have forgotten, are way way down on the bottom of the list. The old wives tale that most hams like to yell about emergencies just don't hold up much anymore. Maybe in other parts of the world ham still plays a much larger role than it does in the U.S. The thing that always gets me is the hams always going on about the amount of noise that is on the CB, and they always have a reason for it that usually is more of a way of making fun than a true reason. The real reason is sweet and simple, there is way over 2 million cb user's in the U.S. and they are all crammed onto 440 khz. If all the hams had was 440 khz you would hear alot more trash on their band as well, but the way it is now you can sit for days and not hear a thing on say 10 meters other than static. Now this junk about expanding into the ( freeband ) can't be done because the freqs are assigned to the military do hold some merit, because they still are on the books, but come on do you really think that with the radio technology that the military has now days that they are going to be using 27.575 for anything? I really doubt it, but if you want to think along those lines in WW2 they used part of what is now in the cb freqs. so I guess they may want to come back and use them too? But if the ARRL, FCC, and the Hams in general would have embraced cb in the 50's and 60's, and used it for what it should have been used for in the first place, that is the first stepping stone into ham, we would not be here having this discussion now anyway

I don't want to "ruffle feathers".........But what happens when I am "Up a Click" on my illegal radio..(politically correct term.....EXPORT ;) )..when a "convoy" of our troops jumps in the conversation.(they have CB's in those huge monsters they call trucks)......Tell them to get off the band :roll: :roll: ..they usually are toting "Really Big Guns" or "tanks" ( you going to argue with someone with those big'n toys :?: :shock: ;) ) and supplies to keep us safe....

All this B.S. about taking someones "SPACE" is just that B.S.

We have gone down this road so many times it might just get the "Million Mile" driver award ;) :D ..Yes there are bad "apples" talking over everyone BUT that is not all of us( even HAM's have a rotten 1 or 2)...You want to see drivers using their CB's to help....watch and listen during a "Amber Alert".or if an officer jumps on "channel" and ask for help...Now take all the "Home Stations" that do all of this and more....Yes ,the "Radio" can be called a toy BUT when real people step up and help someone else in need OR just say HI to a "New" freind 1/2 way across the country..does it not become "more" :?: ;) ...........Never mind those of us that take advantage and use it as a "TOOL" at work ;) 8)

Snoope back hiding in the snow...........

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated