• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB and the FCC

yama junk owna

Apr 5, 2005
Much has been said about cb not getting anymore freqs, that this just would not happen, but , think about this for a minute, in 1996 the FCC added 14 freqs, channels, the frs then in 2000-2002 they added 5 more in murs. All of this may not interest some because 11 meters was not expanded, but the range of freqs that are now license free now cover 59 channels and 3 bands with FM,AM,& SSB modes. For something that just wasn't going to happen, the FCC has quietly behind the scenes expanded the CB service! :idea:

o

They sure DID add resources that could be used by the public. Judging by some comments, this is not what the 'hobbiests' want. They want the area above and below 27 MHZ. That is the part that is not likely to happen since most of that area is not controlled by FCC. I wouldn't be surprised if additional frequencies were added to VHF/UHF.

CWM :D

You have made a very good point here.

If anybody is interested in MURS or FRS the FCC does have all the rules, regs and freqs. listed on the fcc.gov web site. All should read them these are very limited short range services and are available to the general public.

the FCC has quietly behind the scenes expanded the CB service!

This has been public knowledge since they've been introduced, you'll see 500mw FRS radios in every Wal-Mart for $29.95

Jonbah

Re: o

C W Morse said:
They sure DID add resources that could be used by the public. Judging by some comments, this is not what the 'hobbiests' want. They want the area above and below 27 MHZ. That is the part that is not likely to happen since most of that area is not controlled by FCC. I wouldn't be surprised if additional frequencies were added to VHF/UHF.

I dont think its so much that Cb opertors want to go above 27MHZ I think its that there is all that bandwith not being used becouse we have meny chanels above 27.405 and they are elegal but no one uses them besides free banders like my self. The fcc should give us some more chanels in that direction.

The problem with FRS is that it just barely extends your shouting range. Kind of useless the way it is. 500mW ERP is sad. I would really like it if it was 500mW conducted.

Good for the kids playing in the back yard though.

MURS, that is doing it right, except, 5 channels? In many households, sharing 5 slices of pizza is hard.

Those two services do not compare well to CB. CB is far superior in itself.

Re: o

Cheech said:
C W Morse said:

I dont think its so much that Cb opertors want to go above 27MHZ I think its that there is all that bandwith not being used becouse we have meny chanels above 27.405 and they are elegal but no one uses them besides free banders like my self. The fcc should give us some more chanels in that direction.

But that's just it! And its the thing with the 10 meter incursions. Folks listen to the lower part of 10 and hear what they think is nothing. But when they hear "brrrrp", "Thiirrrrrrrrrruppp", or DAH-DAT-DIT, DAH-DAH-DI-DAH, they don't recognize it as either Morse, Pactor, or Slow Scan TV; it's just "noise" to them. So they go ahead and talk. Frequencies can be used for many things besides voice transmission. They can be phone, digital, or used as buffers to prevent interference. Again, FCC is NOT the do-all, be-all in radio and they simply CANNOT without major negotiation with NTIA (other explanations of this in other theads, etc). And, right now, they are not in any mood to give up more HF spectrum. VHF, ummmmmm maybe, HF? No. The Feds in BOTH agencies (NTIA and FCC) may not say so publicly because it is not politically feasible, but they would be more inclined to release more VHF frequencies and approved features than to HF. And that, because of the very behavior that some folks want to become legal (more 'channels', and more radio features for 27 MHZ). Because there is ALREADY a problem with outlaw radio operators on 10/12 Meters, there's no assurance that, once such 'channels' were granted to CB, it would not lead to the theft of even MORE frequencies! But there simply ain't no mo' channels to give!'

And it leads right back to the correct, proper, and legal way to obtain more 'channels'. Obtain the Amateur license, learn the rules of the service, and operate responsibly and........LEGALLY! :p

CWM

Thing that stops me from amateur is the price of the equitment! Starting out on 2 Meter is ok but all the thing cost an arm and a leg! And yes Iknow some CB stuff cost a crap load to but nothing like amateur equitment and Im not rich so I run into a bit of a problem! If the stuuf was cheaper I would have been into it a long time ago.

Cheech,
It all depends which avenue you take in buying equipment. I bought most of my radios used. The only radio I bought new was my Icom-2100h 2metr. I bought a 2 meter All-mode Kenwood for $200 off Ebay from an elderly Ham. I bought a RCI-5054DX 6 meter form an elderly Ham off Ebay that was new in the box for $225. And my HF rig I bought used from a member of this forum for $400, a Yaesu 757GX with the matching power supply. This was done over a course of 21/2 years.I have 2-HTX 202's and a HTX-404 from ebay. All the radios work great. So that is one way you could go about it. I just spaced myself and got the radios I wanted used.

Sonwatcher said:
Cheech,
It all depends which avenue you take in buying equipment. I bought most of my radios used. The only radio I bought new was my Icom-2100h 2metr. I bought a 2 meter All-mode Kenwood for $200 off Ebay from an elderly Ham. I bought a RCI-5054DX 6 meter form an elderly Ham off Ebay that was new in the box for $225. And my HF rig I bought used from a member of this forum for $400, a Yaesu 757GX with the matching power supply. This was done over a course of 21/2 years.I have 2-HTX 202's and a HTX-404 from ebay. All the radios work great. So that is one way you could go about it. I just spaced myself and got the radios I wanted used.
I was thinking of ebay but never realy looked before. I guess when the time comes Ill be doing some searching! :)

E

Cheech,

Just as an example, I know where there is a Kenwood 2 Meter radio for $50! Covers ALL the 2M frequencies. Yes, it is an older rig, but you can't say it's equipment stopping you entirely.
With careful shopping, an HF radio like an FT101 can be had for less than $300. I recently sold an Icom 735 for $250.

The new equipment is simply a matter of the superior technology. You are asking for a radio that covers far MORE than just one band. For the all-mode "mini" radios like the IC706, look what you're getting for the price; 10-12 bands of frequencies, ALL modes, general coverage reciever, and even a scanner that covers about everything from VLF to UHF! So if if you break the price down by band, it really isn't THAT bad! :D

CWM

When I was still using my Ham Equipment (Which just collects dust now) I had no problem finding decent deals on ebay . Some of it had a few problems that the sellers failed to tell me about , but some of it worked great . That's always a risk you take when shopping on ebay ... I think the Hams local to me must be trying to make a living off of selling thier equipment because they charge outrageous prices for radios that are 30 or 40 years old . Then there's a local Ham that everytime a radio or someone's equipment comes up for sale he races everyone to it to buy so that no one else can get it (no he doesn't re-sell it , he hordes it) ... that's the same one that told me to go back to 11 meters where I belonged . Great Guy !!! ... lol He also said that Ham is an expensive hobby and if you can't afford the equipment then you don't belong there ... he's a real insperation ... I never had a problem affording the equipment , just obviously finding someone decent enough to talk with locally . :LOL:

I've been into C.B. for 10 years and it can be just as expensive as Ham sometimes , aside from needing a license and having a few rules and regulations to follow I saw no difference between the two . Both are great and have great people to chat with ... and both have the real jerks as well . If you want good equipment both can be costly ... I see alot of great Hams out there everyday when I turn my computer on , so if you want to get that Amateur Operators license I'd say you'll be happy you did ... The cost of equipment isn't so bad , so don't let it scare you away ... :p

Cheech said:
Thing that stops me from amateur is the price of the equitment! Starting out on 2 Meter is ok but all the thing cost an arm and a leg! And yes Iknow some CB stuff cost a crap load to but nothing like amateur equitment and Im not rich so I run into a bit of a problem! If the stuuf was cheaper I would have been into it a long time ago.

Thats a cop out. You spend how much on a Suckohoochi multi-squechl-o-matic rig? Now how much for the skullit-crackin-dave-texas-omati 200 pill compition box? Now I gotta have like 4 alternators. You still with me.

I bought an entire HF station off fleabay for oh 300 bucks. And thats a 757GX, A MFJ tuner, and a 30a Astron powersupply. I made a multiband dipole for oh... 5 bucks and feed it with oh 10 bucks worth of ladder line.

So tell me again what is too expensive? :roll:

Ok, I guess you could spend 10K+ on a Icom/yaesu T.O.L rig. 6K+ on an Alpha amp and heavens knows how many K+ on a 200ft rotating tower with stacked yagi arrays for each conceivable band but i dont have that.

I bought my complete HF rig a Yaesu 901Transiever,external digital VFO and Phone patch for $500.00 I don't feel that was to expensive, where someone else might think it was. I recently purchased a Station monitor YO-901 for $230.00 shipped( hoping it arrives soon) and watching an EBAY item( 6m,2m,70cm Tranciever) that is getting a little expensive but, very rare. I'm also watching the matching antenna tuner. I hope I get these items, then I will have a complete station. Anyway, if you stay away from the new top of the line Transcievers it isn't much more than anything else.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated