1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

CB antennas on 10 meters. WHY NOT??!!??

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Staybolt, Apr 26, 2013.

1. wavrider

wavrider W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Old Hams?????

Well not all old hams are scrooges.

I was using the SWAN 700CX for a 75 meter rag chew to a couple of old timers in SC one evening.

The SWAN brand brought up the subject of the Siltronix 1011B and the CB discussion was on.

Had blast talking to those old timers, Both ran old Silkies in their younger days,

Some OP recorded my transmission and kept re transmitting in on the freq but oh well.

Run the antenna you have, enjoy how it works, and when on the ham bands just say it is a 4 element yagi. Don't need to describe it as a moon raker or maco etc etc. unless you just want to.

Many amateurs here in N FL rag chew on 11 meters. If we are on a ham band and run across each other we just say go to the other band and we know to meet up on 11 meters.

It is just radio and it should be fun.

2 people like this.

2. Happy_Hamer

Happy_Hamer Administrator
    Staff Member

I was on 20 meter running QRP, I checked into a net of guys just chatting it up.

After I checked in and received a 5/9 signal and even complimented me on my clean audio, I told him I was QRP

He dropped every F bomb he could telling me how useless QRP is and I should not be wasting his time bla bla bla

Looked his call up and he brags about being a cop, useless POS if you ask me.

Can't make everyone happy,,,,,,,,,

3. RatsoW8

RatsoW8 Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T

Huh? Since 1987 every 10 meter antenna I've had that wasn't a dipole was an 11 meter antenna tuned for 10.

So age has nothing to do with being a prude. Jackasses come in all ages, sizes and colors.

1 person likes this.
  4. Lil'Yeshua

Lil'Yeshua .......

I take it that 11 meter antennas are cheaper?

5. towerdog

towerdog one-niner-seven

not necessarily, and most manufactures sell an antenna as good for both.
    I think it has to do with if they market an antenna with bandwidth greater than 500khz and power handling capacity greater than 4 watts as a CB antenna, then that makes it unsuitable for 10 meters.

6. High Voltage Mobile NJ

some hams are bitches . what else is new . lol lol
    as long as your beam is resonating and the swr is ok on 10 meters you will sound awesome . you can make any antenna talk where ever u want to . 10 meters would require you to just making the radials a couple more inches longer and retuning . tell that raggy ass ham to bump on your moonraker next time , and you are an awesome cber and a ham that loves the hobby . :oops:;):bdh::D

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

"10 meters would require you to just making the radials a couple more inches longer and retuning"

Psst - Shorter.
    - 'Doc

3 people like this.
  8. ajm1571

ajm1571 Active Member

I run a set of maco 3's on 10m an never had a bad report yet.

1 person likes this.
  9. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Active Member

A 10M antenna is a 10M antenna. As long as it's resonant on frequency you'll be fine. My I10K is tuned for 10M and works great!! Also, the Wilson 5000 is a great 10M mobile ant. as well.

10. PA629

PA629 Active Member

Perhaps more 11M antennas would be used on 10M if the operators were aware of the audio gain to be realized. :whistle:

1 person likes this.