• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Base Antenna switch-out.....

tibadoe

May 24, 2020
Gladys, VA
Currently I am running a few different radios on a 24' Imax-2000. I mainly monitor and not really into skip. No problems and it's working fine. Just thinking of switching out to an aluminum type antenna.

The Vector 4000 is the only one that catches my eye. But the more I think about it - the more I think it would be overkill.

Any ideas on other antennas I should check out?

Thanks

Currently I am running a few different radios on a 24' Imax-2000. I mainly monitor and not really into skip. No problems and it's working fine. Just thinking of switching out to an aluminum type antenna.

The Vector 4000 is the only one that catches my eye. But the more I think about it - the more I think it would be overkill.

Thanks
For all the trouble of replacing an antenna, the Vector 4k will give the biggest improvement. It has the highest gain, if you can believe their numbers. I have had a Vector 4k for several years now and love it. Recently my mast broke in a wind storm and wrecked it, so I am in the process of replacing it.

Here is my install thread with tuning information:

Reactions: tibadoe
For all the trouble of replacing an antenna, the Vector 4k will give the biggest improvement. It has the highest gain, if you can believe their numbers.............
I considered the 4k. But after hearing that it does not do well in high winds, I marked it off the list. We do get occasional high winds in summer storms and ice in the winter.

Looking through the manual for the Sirio 2016 brings up a couple of questions:
Anyone experience any issues using the screws that are used to assemble each of the vertical sections of the vertical whip? Looks like they have a tendency to get loose and back out.

Would blue Loctite help without causing any problems? Or maybe use a bolt/nut through the tubing? I see some are even putting heat shrink tubing over the joints.

I prefer to install it once and not have to take it down unless absolutely necessary.

Looking through the manual for the Sirio 2016 brings up a couple of questions:
Anyone experience any issues using the screws that are used to assemble each of the vertical sections of the vertical whip? Looks like they have a tendency to get loose and back out.

Would blue Loctite help without causing any problems? Or maybe use a bolt/nut through the tubing? I see some are even putting heat shrink tubing over the joints.

I prefer to install it once and not have to take it down unless absolutely necessary.
I slit the tubes down to the screw holes, then use stainless hose clamps. I also put never seize between the tubes, the kind with metal in it.

I slit the tubes down to the screw holes, then use stainless hose clamps. I also put never seize between the tubes, the kind with metal

Thanks
Talk to the folks at Mosley. They are fantastic. http://mosley-electronics.com/

Have a question about your Vector 4k experience. Is the vertical element a thinner aluminum and have a tendency to lean over with little to no wind?
The wind does blow it around, but it's not floppy or anything like that. Each section of the antenna slides inside the next section, the top section is about 1/2 inch diameter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.