• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Etiquette

Totally Baffled, I am! Have I misunderstood all my days the meaning "etiquette".
Is the subject of etiquette foreign to those having replied, previous.

In short "etiquette" is behavioral manners; and a CB Etiquette thread, I would expect to be a discussion on what are prevailing behavioral manners on CB radio.

IAW with the previous respondents I take it the Wild Wild West rules don't apply; there are no rules :( Clearly the same rules for HAM radios operators don't apply to CB radio. Such as those who dominate a channel discussing weekly underwear change routines, for 10-20minutes, front to back, inside or out. 5-minutes max, folks!

el Capo, you summed it up!

But I refuse to fire up the FatBoy and go about stomping on the channels; entertaining everyone with Black Sabath or CCR. I love Bucket Head and Randy Travis as well.

Last edited:
I thought etiquette was how you conduct your behavior to the public. In private is your world but in public view or on the air people used to conduct themselves like adults. On air when skip is rolling I typically hear 3 f bombs per sentence. Sad part is that it's not young punks doing it, it's the so called adults. Constant arguments and foul language is why my grandchildren aren't in my radio room with me. Used to be sitting on the floor listening to dad or grandpa on the radio was something special and educational. Now days depending on the people and frequency it's like a Jerry Springer show. My locals have etiquette. They watch their language and take up arguments off the air. But when skip rolls it's wide open and people tell you to STFU and change channels or get the kids out of the room if you don't want them hearing it. Yea, etiquette died a long time ago. And not just on the radio.

It has become more common today than back in the early 80s. 1984, I belive it was; when People Magazine conducted a survey. Given the toilet bowl it was conducted in and age group included there's no wonder the "Nation's"#1 Hero was Eddie Murphy. Jane Fonda, was in the top 10. Eddie Murphy known for his stand-up comedy, during which he was unable to ever formulate a sentence without the F-bomb. Beyond that, who was Eddie Murphy? And all I remember Jane Fonda for was Barbarella, B-Movie, and Viet Nam era Traitor. There were sufficient intelligent survey participants from this CA toilet bowl to rank President Ronald Reagan (81-89) somewhere near the bottom 50.

I've not picked up a People Magazine since. Clearly responsible magazine content publication was already in the toilet.

"Yea, etiquette died a long time ago. And not just on the radio." Yard Dog is right about that! But your wrong about another Yard Dog. Don't chew with your mouth open which lends itself to, don't talk with your mouth full. How many times is this rule of etiquette not followed in the movies you watch? I don't give a crap which side the salad fork goes. But don't be waving that fork around while talking with your mouth full. :eek: What I'm saying here is practiced at home, etiquette becomes natural in the public arena.

My brother, loopy Idaho liberal, can talk non-stop for hours. Can't get a word in edgewise and constantly dropping the F-bomb. I cringe every time.
I have broken into a rant of his a time or two, asking "do you kiss your wife with that mouth"? And he's toned it down, some. Don't get me wrong, I slam my thumb with a hammer; I don't meekly say, Ah poo-poo.

The Locals in my area are respectful as well. They'd hear about it at the annual Octoberfest otherwise. Several take this opportunity to clean out their freezers; whipping up pots of chili with last year's venison or swamp rats (nutria, beaver, or muskrat). I'm partial to the beaver, like roast beef.

Last edited:
Reactions: YardDog
It's a sign of the times. Some parts of 80m, 40m, or certain 2m repeaters are easily just as bad, or worse.
Not surprising really. I know there's HAMers infiltrating the CB Klan by their use of Q codes. Would you suspect the reversal of infiltration exists. Operators failing to abide with use of Q codes?
I've 10M, 2M, and 70cm radios. I infrequently listen to the weekly emergency response roll call on 2M/70cm; that's it.
Can't recall a phone number the wife just rattled off. She'd say, didn't your hear me! My response, "Would you repeat everything, since we got married".

Catching call signs on 11M is difficult enough for me, I don't bother with 10M.
What'd you just say your name is :eek: Oh, you wrote I down! I'll remember that.

Last edited:

I have one of them thar eidetic memory; only if your speak intelligibly and slow enough, with emphasis on 2nd.

"Crackers" as in Florida Crackers; was curious as to origin. I was a long term Floridian; obtained a free St. Petersburg Times a few times, natives know. Didn't have Google in them days. The Florida Crackers were the first American Cowboys; I mean in big numbers.

Reactions: NZ8N
F-bomb
1st double sided conversation heard, yesterday. That is I heard both sides on my omni-directional. On 38 LSB L&C and predominant over the backgroud trainwreck were these septic tank excretions.
These two, speaking of their cabins in the mountains and their Keto diets, couldn't formulate a sentence without the F-bomb and more often couldn't expel a full breadth without repeating the F-bomb.

What sort of background produces pond scum of this caliber?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.