• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Milage Limit

Way back to page 1, regarding stations in Portland and Dallas...
Dallas (Oregon) is only about 50 miles, as the crow aviates, from Portland (Oregon). Found that out about 40 years ago :D.

Do you have an official source where we can read that for ourselves?
http://qrznow.com/fcc-personal-radi...ill-affect-gmrs-frs-cb-other-part-95-devices/

The FCC said changes to the decades-old Citizens Band (CB) rules will remove outdated requirements, including certain labeling requirements. DXing on Citizens Band will become legal too. Once the new rules are effective, CBers will be allowed to contact stations outside of the FCC-imposed — but widely disregarded — 155.3-mile distance limit.
"Source:ARRL" - No other link was given, just ARRL.org

I'm almost certain a link could be found on the FCC's website.

Last edited:
Reactions: fourstringburn
Reactions: LeapFrog
www.ecfr.gov -- part 95 and down to the CB rules. The GMRS, RC, FRS and other Part 95 rules are in there too, but look for the CB rules. I didn't specifically see the "155 mile" note (probably because I just woke up and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I did see the restriction on communications with other countries except Canada.

How can somebody have been involved with CB for years/decades without knowing the Federal Law involved?

From the link above, choose Title 47, then Part 95, then CB.

I had gone ahead and reviewed the proposed rule changes after someone else on this forum mentioned that the mileage restriction had been written out. Thanks to those of you who jumped in with the sources and citations.

I remember when the rule prohibited communications over 150 miles. Then some clever rule drafter went metric and changed it to 250 kilometers. I guess the extra five miles was going to be a game changer.

The limitation never made sense because our CB band skip is largely a function of Mother Nature's mood of the day. Four decades of essentially no enforcement also sent operators a message.

The change is long overdue.

I think that if the Feds and Amateurs wanted/needed a resurgence in the CB band; then they may do well to remove more restrictions. Allowing FM mode. Allowing digital modes. Allowing a 200w ERP provided that the signal is clean and free of harmonics/spurs.

This is the age of digital and has been for some time. The changes need to match the change in technology, which it has not done yet.

Reactions: Sarasota Slim
The U.K. allows FM on their CB band, which covers our band plus a few additional frequencies. Allowing FM in the U.S. would just bring us in line and would allow for a better quality radio experience.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated