• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Mobile Antenna Choice Help

Antenna Choice below 5ft 4inch in total length after tune.

• 5Ft Skipshooter

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Tram SP-63

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Feb 14, 2013
The World
My Antenna only can be no longer than 5ft 4inches for total tuned height. I am using a Puck Mount on the roof of a 2010 Jeep Liberty Renegade. I have a 5ft Skipshooter and a Tram SP-63 Open Coil.
If you had a choice technically, which would you choose of the two to get out and receive the best?
Thank you.

Last edited:

102" SS whip

No argument, a 102" whip mounted in the same location will easily outperform any 5 foot antenna... However not everyone can use an antenna that long, and the reasons vary, so when someone posts something like...

My Antenna only can be no longer than 5ft 4inches for total tuned hieght.

Even though the 102" whip will outperform whatever he gets, recommending one really doesn't help him much as for whatever reason he cannot use said antenna.

530, if you take all the 5 foot antennas on the market, essentially all of them will perform about the same, and the ones that don't will perform worse. I know people love their brands, but in reality the brand really doesn't matter much when it comes to performance. For mobile antennas, length and where said antenna is mounted on the vehicle are what tells the tale.

That isn't to say that some brands do or don't have better quality than others, that was strictly a statement about antenna performance.

The DB

DB,

Only suggesting an option. But thank you for that argumentative response. Point well taken, and had noted his description. Regardless of height requirements that roof mount will probably taller than a total length of 108" mounted on a ball, side of vehicle. I won't even bother with quotes.

Reactions: 530
Thanks I have a 102 and a 108 inch and use a 12 inch adjuster/riser, and I hate springs. I do use one of the two on the roof when not moving and shooting skip. As per the post I have a height restriction and at this time have those two I am asking opinions about.

Reactions: Redbeard U812
I too would have e suggested the 102" SS whip, but since height no is an issue, then I would opt for the SkipShooter. Durable, work well and have a good reputation. I've never had the opportunity to try one but it gets good revues..

My nickels worth.....

Reactions: 530
No argument, a 102" whip mounted in the same location will easily outperform any 5 foot antenna... However not everyone can use an antenna that long, and the reasons vary, so when someone posts something like...

Even though the 102" whip will outperform whatever he gets, recommending one really doesn't help him much as for whatever reason he cannot use said antenna.

530, if you take all the 5 foot antennas on the market, essentially all of them will perform about the same, and the ones that don't will perform worse. I know people love their brands, but in reality the brand really doesn't matter much when it comes to performance. For mobile antennas, length and where said antenna is mounted on the vehicle are what tells the tale.

That isn't to say that some brands do or don't have better quality than others, that was strictly a statement about antenna performance.

The DB
Yes I chose the Skipshooter as an option because of the size of the winding wire at that length, so far is the thickest than the others.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated