• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB or Export?

TBH I wouldn't buy any of them, and if you want a cb / ham rig, a few dollars more or less in some cases would pick you up a nice 2nd hand kenwood ts50 or icom ic 706 mk1, both have 100 mem channels to put CB band in, both give 100w, variable in the 706's case or 10/50/100w in ts50 case, and both are far superior to any cb, with the bonus ts50 is 0-30mhz tx and 706 0-200 if I recall, both are no bigger than a CB

Reactions: 2 people
For what you are wanting to do, the Magnum 257 will be your best bet....since it does 10 and 11 meter, is stable on SSB, good audio on AM and doesn't have the kiddie trucker toys aka echo and roger beep.

The rest of the radios you mentioned won't fulfill your desire.

Reactions: 1 person
If you like Uniden 980SSB look to the export President Grant 2, if you want to make a few Bob, buy an RCI 29xx series and write taxi on side of truck :) lol

I've got the 980 and the grant 2. for whatever reason the 980 has better sideband receive. As far as white noise that is. I may have gotten a bad grant I don't know but with my grant the white noise on sideband is more like electrical spikes rather than a good solid white noise. even with the motor not running. it's enough to bug the piss out you. My 980 has a low level constant white noise. The grant like I said had a pop and crack type of white noise. Might show a 1 on the meter then jump to a 9 with a spike kind of like lightning strikes would be a good way of saying it. love the radio other than that but it is enough to make me want to keep the 980 in the car because I talk mostly on sideband. I asked delboy about this and he said his had the "spikes" on sideband too so I don't know is it just a grant thing or do I have a receive issue?

Get the 2970n2, plenty of power and is a great ssb radio. Have a good tech do the work, JMO but I would send it to the doc of New York, he has worked those type rci radios for many years and exclusively works on them i believe. Another good tech is DTB radio, or Doug's custom cb shop. Have the radio tuned and aligned, do not have the radio peaked!! Leave it at around stock levels and it will last much longer and sound better as well. Good luck and hope to hear you on the air. God bless

Did Tom (Doc) change his forte? He has always been known as a guru with the HR 2510/2600/2830/Lincoln radios. Guru being subjective, what he does to these radios can be easily done by any qualified tech.

Got a new job which requires lots of road time, seeing how VHF and UHF is dead here and I only have VHF and UHF in the truck, been looking at going with a CB or export radio. I just Can't Decide which radio to get for the truck.
Uniden 980SSB
Galaxy DX959/979
Galaxy 95T
Galaxy 99V
RCI 2950/2970
Stryker 955
Magnum 257HP

I will def be using CB to talk to truckers and making some QSO's on 10m SSB.
Don't care for echo or roger beeps and all that jazz
Soo many choices!

1/2950 or n2
2/257

Got a new job which requires lots of road time, seeing how VHF and UHF is dead here and I only have VHF and UHF in the truck, been looking at going with a CB or export radio. I just Can't Decide which radio to get for the truck.
Uniden 980SSB
Galaxy DX959/979
Galaxy 95T
Galaxy 99V
RCI 2950/2970
Stryker 955
Magnum 257HP

I will def be using CB to talk to truckers and making some QSO's on 10m SSB.
Don't care for echo or roger beeps and all that jazz
Soo many choices!

You say that you want to use it to talk on 10 & 11 meters. Well to me out of the radios that you list only 2 would really fit the bill. The RCI's or Mag 257. The others are really just CB's even if they say 10 meters. Or like other post said get a real HF rig. A Yaesu FT-857 is the same size as a Cobra 29. And has 100 watts.

Before conversion, they'll talk 10 meters but without cb radio frequencies. After conversion, the RCI and probably the magnum (as 222 said) will work on 10 meters. You can buy a galaxy dx98vhp and replace the x3 crystal and get the full 10 meter band and two bands down from Cb. Open the clarifier on it for ssb. The RCI would be a better ssb radio. I'm assuming you're going to be talking ssb since nobody talks AM much on 10 meters.

CbRadiosPRONTO

The 2950dx series of radios will cover 10/11/12 meters.
As will the Optima.
I know this is off topic, but it was one of the things I viewed as a neg for president and the new lincoln II.
I really do like the 2950 DX I have had several, and they served me well.

Jeff

Last edited:
My recommendation is get a real HF rig, clean modulation and stable frequency. And quality of construction. the IC-7200 is a ruggedized radio.

I would recommend the IC-7200 its Japanese built quality, built like a tank (you would be amazed by how dense it is for its size)

And it will outlive you, would be the last radio you would need for your truck.

SSB typically sucks on Exports anyhow if you do plan on using SSB.

IC-7200 has really good clean AM modulation. Its a solid radio for all purpose use. But I know what you mean about a lot of HF rigs sucking at AM modulation though.

Good to know there are some good AM performers out of the box. A lot of 11 meter guys won't be happy with clean. "It ain't got no swing" :)

Good to know there are some good AM performers out of the box. A lot of 11 meter guys won't be happy with clean. "It ain't got no swing" :)

yeah :) Icom must have made some changes on the 7200. on the scope you can see tight clean AM modulation peaking nicely. more power where it needs to go and clean. I get good reports on my audio.

A lot of ham gear handles AM not so good with poorly implemented ALC, but the IC-7200 is a whole different game.

I am using it with a SM-20 microphone.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.