• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB radio base station, 110v elec noise interference

TXRiverRat

New/old timer CBer
Jun 18, 2019
Austin TX area
I know in a car or truck you will experience frequency noise caused by the eng or elec system, but how can you eliminate or decrease a noise in a base station radio possibly caused by a 110v washing machine or even the motor of a paper shredder?
When ever my wife is doing laundry, I get the "swishing" noise of the washing machine agitator, and I can see the "swish swish swish swish" on the radio "s meter". When I use the paper shredder here in my office I get the loud buzz noise of the shredder motor.
I'm using an old Realistic TRC448 SSB-AM 40 chl, 12v radio w/110v 60 hrz, to 13.8v 32A pwr surrply, as a base station.

What can I do?

Last edited:

The washing machine noise is most likely from a crappy digital board spewing trash. I pick up our front loading washer and can hear when the drum reverses direction. It only affects 80m and most of the time band noise is quite high anyway. The paper shredder is likely from a cheap motor with brushes arcing. Either way good luck eliminating the problem. You'll need it.

big toroid on the washer cord.

Ordered a Large:
1 Unit 102X65X20mm Ultra Large Power Transformer ferrite core Isolator ferrite Ring RF Choke ferrite

Ran the washer elec cord thru it with 4 coils and hooked it back up again. It didn't help decreasing any noise interference from the washer on the radio. I might be able to get 1 more coil wrapped, but the cord is already pretty tight reaching the elec outlet. So I don't think this idea works.
But thanks.

Wraps made next to machine?(sorry, obvious question).

I have ferrites or filters at both ends of Coax & Power to Radio in the Peterbilt.

The truck has more than one electrical system. Any type lines seem to be receiving antennas.

Treating the portable reefer/freezer 12V line fixed. Treating the Inverter didn’t help as much, but it made leaving it turned on feasible.

PALOMAR has kits for transceivers to consider.

I use their NEMA-boxed filters for coax and 12V at the radio end.

I’ll never toss another microwave oven out without salvaging the noise filter board first. Virtually every microwave has one that looks like this or similar. I’m not saying this would solve your problem, but the one I have worked great on my hot water heater exhaust blower. Of course you would need to mount one of these boards inside a metal box or inside the appliance itself if room permits. The beauty is that these boards are well marked with input / output terminals including ground.
Microwave Noise filter board.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.