• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cb radio base station antenna question

Damn what do you people have against an Imax??? I love mine and would not waste my money on anything else,i get out great so why would i need to. Are there better antennas out there? I'm sure there are but why spend the extra money on one when a antenna that runs less than a $100.00 works just fine. Jays antennas are one of the best in the radio hobby but you don't have to spend that kind of cash on your first base.

There is no reason on this earth to tell a newbie to go out an spend a lot of money on one when HE DOES NOT NEED TO! You guys seem to be really hung up on jay's Interceptor I-10 K and that's fine. If it works for you great but you should be honest with the man and tell him that he does not need to spend a boat load of cash on his first antenna. I'm sure that Jay makes plenty of money with out you trying to push his product for him onto someone who does not need it. Kinda like telling a first time hunter to go out and buy a 300 mag when all he need is a 30/30!

just my 2 cents.

Limited and rescricted here.the a99 and the imax have underachieved for me.its probaly my location.both of those at around 35 feet are ok for local. (Wich i have zero interest in) and my 20 doller dr. Dipole,a wavelenth up horzt.outguns both on dx out past 1000 miles.from east coast into europe no vertical to my knowledge gets better reports than me.388 working my old rusty dipole and 100 watt old kenwood 940sat.so for 1500 to 3000 plus miles dx, A dipole up 36 feet flat top rules,of course even a 3 element beam up 36 will probaly do better.all in what you want.i wish i could not hear anyone local.

Damn what do you people have against an Imax??? I love mine and would not waste my money on anything else,i get out great so why would i need to. Are there better antennas out there? I'm sure there are but why spend the extra money on one when a antenna that runs less than a $100.00 works just fine. Jays antennas are one of the best in the radio hobby but you don't have to spend that kind of cash on your first base.

There is no reason on this earth to tell a newbie to go out an spend a lot of money on one when HE DOES NOT NEED TO! You guys seem to be really hung up on jay's Interceptor I-10 K and that's fine. If it works for you great but you should be honest with the man and tell him that he does not need to spend a boat load of cash on his first antenna. I'm sure that Jay makes plenty of money with out you trying to push his product for him onto someone who does not need it. Kinda like telling a first time hunter to go out and buy a 300 mag when all he need is a 30/30!

just my 2 cents.
They suck at everything that should matter. Your antenna IS everything. People here are just sharing the the truth.

Reactions: 543_Dallas
I've never had an Imax but had 3 Antron 99's. They were all noisy on receive (excessive static), they all had terrible RFI, 2 of them started splintering fiberglass. One of them took a direct lightning hit. I did have coax choke baluns on each of them, used good coax (Davis RF, DX Engineering 400 MAX), multiple ground rods on each, station grounds etc. Could never get rid of the RFI.

The price was right on them.
They were very broadbanded.

I'm done with Solarcon.

My own opinion and experience. Everyone is different! Thank Goodness!!!(y)

73's
David

Well i have had a few a99s and only 1 imax and never saw much difference when i thought my rx would be better right off the bat,when going from a99 to maxx2000.then tx test with both about 35 miles out same.i put up a spt 500,a sirio 2016,and a old new stock cr-1 cushcraft and had way less noise at 1/3 the height and not much loss in sig at the test heightof 15 ft.i think my location having trees in all directions is the reason.i went to a friends house that had superman rx and he had a 25 y old a99 about 15 feet up on his garage.and when he bought my imax it doubled.he always talked and heard dx everyone had to wait 5 minutes to hear.location location.

Reactions: Dmans
Had 2 imax both snapped in the wind in a few years,Maco v5/8 is a winner never had a interceptor I 10k but read very good things.Due to limitations on this property I run a old Shakespeare 318 gbt pogo stick that works as good if not better than any antenna ive tried including the original Hygain Golden Super Penetrator.I am going to try a super scanner antenna next and try out .

I had a A99 back in the late 90's early 2000's and it did a great job for me hooked up to a Galaxy saturn doing 25 watts on SSB and i was able to talk all over the world,i also used RG 8 mini coax aprox 50 feet,and that helped also,i vote for the A99 antenna because its a simple no frills antenna that does a good jo,just my 2 cents.

I've had my Imax 2000 up for a year now. Its survived ice,snow,brutal winds, and its still up and working perfectly. I've got it mounted on a 10ft section of conduit on the corner of our deck on the 2nd level of the Chalet. The tip of the antenna is 50 ft above ground.
On 10 meter the SWR is flat right out of the box. I thought my swr meter was bad because it doesn't even move the needle. On 11 meters the SWR is 1.2.1. Not to shabby.
Between the Stryker 955 and the Imax it is noisy, and can wear on ya. Get used to turning the Rf gain , and volume back, but also be ready to talk DX very well. No doubt there are better antennas out there, but this one works good for me. Better than the 1/2 wave Dipole I made .
I also hear many, many, many, operators using the Imax and the 99 on the bands, so they do work. I also live under a canopy of trees in the mountains, so the verticle works for me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated