• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Radio Recommendations ?

That seller wants $421 for an NOS Midland 6001 am/ssb radio and $184 for a plain jane Midland 3001 AM cb radio??????? Both those radios were not very popular, that's why they are rare. I bought an NOS Texas Ranger TR-296 for $140 a couple of weeks ago and that is 5 times the radio a Midland 6001 is.

I didn't know that. They look nice. Do you know how these radio performed in the past? Besides all this,it looks like a deal for an NIS/NIB base station. I heard John Denver on 27.285 am talk on a SBE mobile. It was doing it's thing.
I bought the Royce and two GE's off of him. The SBE is comparable in price to a Galaxy 11 meter base station.

Magnum 257HP, Omega Force HP or RCI 2950DX ?

Many thanks to you guys. You really know your radios.

I've taken your advice. No junkie CB radio for me.

With your advice, I've narrowed it down to these three radios to cover 11 meters for me:

Magnum 257HP
Omega Force HP
RCI 2950DX

My questions:

1) Do these radios have squelched or un-squelched scan feature?

2) How hard is it to modify these three units for 11 meters?

3) I'm curious about this listing on eBay:

Ranger RCI 2950DX Radio Transceiver Tuned and Worked on by Clays CB Shop | eBay

How is he able to get "CH 19" to appear on the display? Will it show all 40 channels that way, or just those 10 or so in the memory storage?

Thank you.

Alan/N3LGE

Many thanks to you guys. You really know your radios.

I've taken your advice. No junkie CB radio for me.

With your advice, I've narrowed it down to these three radios to cover 11 meters for me:

Magnum 257HP
Omega Force HP
RCI 2950DX

My questions:

1) Do these radios have squelched or un-squelched scan feature?

2) How hard is it to modify these three units for 11 meters?

3) I'm curious about this listing on eBay:

Ranger RCI 2950DX Radio Transceiver Tuned and Worked on by Clays CB Shop | eBay

How is he able to get "CH 19" to appear on the display? Will it show all 40 channels that way, or just those 10 or so in the memory storage?

Thank you.

Alan/N3LGE
all 3 are great choices you just gotta decide which opions you like the best. for me i liked the 2950 over the 2 magnums just cause its 6 digit display. also has more memory
all radios listed will show either a frequency or just a 2 digit .on the 2950 its simple the
MAN button switches between the two,but also restricts to just the standard 40 cb
the 2 magnums use 2 buttons the function button first then call button, however
on the magnum you can go below or above the standard 40 channels in a 2 digit standard readout. so i highly reccommend NOT using that with the magnums cause you could end up
in 10 meters but radio may READ 19 but could actually be somewhere else.

all 3 are great choices you just gotta decide which opions you like the best. for me i liked the 2950 over the 2 magnums just cause its 6 digit display. also has more memory
all radios listed will show either a frequency or just a 2 digit .on the 2950 its simple the
MAN button switches between the two,but also restricts to just the standard 40 cb
the 2 magnums use 2 buttons the function button first then call button, however
on the magnum you can go below or above the standard 40 channels in a 2 digit standard readout. so i highly reccommend NOT using that with the magnums cause you could end up
in 10 meters but radio may READ 19 but could actually be somewhere else.
Great analysis. Thank you.

What kind of mod is necessary to get it into the CB band?

Alan/N3LGE

For the magnum 257hp it's moving a diode on the frequency board, takes all of about 5 minutes to do, you can set it to con port 3 for expanded mode. Take the mic apart also and turn the mic gain pot inside the mic clockwise to your desired level, you can turn it up all the way if you like and use the mic gain if need be as well.

I didn't know that. They look nice. Do you know how these radio performed in the past? Besides all this,it looks like a deal for an NIS/NIB base station. I heard John Denver on 27.285 am talk on a SBE mobile. It was doing it's thing.
I bought the Royce and two GE's off of him. The SBE is comparable in price to a Galaxy 11 meter base station.

The "Unhacked" Midland 7001 and the 5001 are the models to get. I would get a 3001 only for $100 or less.
SBE made some great radios too.

The "Unhacked" Midland 7001 and the 5001 are the models to get. I would get a 3001 only for $100 or less.
SBE made some great radios too.

There's a 40 ch 7001 on Ebay for $167. Used but minty looking but has a toggle switch that's been added on the side.
The seller emailed me back and said that he didn't know the specifics(does it work and why toggle switch)but is selling it for someone.

He's got a buy it now or best offer options.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.