• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB's in cars?

gohusan said:
P.S. Does anyone Know some sites with good quality 1's @ a resonable price.

I would go for the wilson 5000. My best bet..... Solid you can throw anything @ it up to 10,000 watts SSB I read....

I would forego the little wil, my uncle had 1 ran a 93T behind it, and it ran HI on swr and the radio sounded like crap. Hooked the 93T up to my mobile it worked fine.

Wilson 5000....

My 2¢ aloha 1-5

Switch Kit said:
sportygreg said:
I recently put a lil wil on the wife's car and it works great!SWR about 1.2 after tuning across the channels.Remember to tune antenna with doors closed and away from structures and power lines.If you can't get a decent SWR with the lil wil then something is wrong with it.

after years of this stuff , and hearing they are decent little antenna's ,this must be a bad one )-: I even changed the 259 on it and it didn't help. Next time I come across another one , I might be able to make up my mind if it is a worthy antenna or not. I can believe a guy like Park saying he's gotten a good match on one .

SK I just put a new Lil Will on the ol lady's 99 ranger PU and cut about 1/2" off the whip to get a 1.2 on the little end & 1.3 at the big end. I can talk about 8-10 miles down the lake to a base buddy of mine just fine. Radio is a little cheapy TRC- 443 realistic I bought off ebay for $15 plus a few $ shipping.

Now the bad news----- the fuel pump makes it almost impossible to hear when the engine is running. I'm sure that is it, because its quiet as can be when you unhook the antenna with the engine running. I might just say the heck with the whole mobile deal. Never had this trouble back in the 70's

Ronnie :D

gohusan my lil will was taking my sidewinder 200 just fine . it dead keyed about 50 watts and modulated 170 . for $30 considering its performance and easy mag mount its a real deal . are there better antennas ? absolutely . i dont think you can do better for a cheap or entry level antenna and it will take a lil kickin and keep on tickin . if youre looking for something more high performance thats easy to install and allows you to keep having lunch everyday the wilson 1000 and 5000 mag mounts pretty much rule that roost .

goodluck

Amp's with Lil' Will or Wilson 5000

My apologies, I should have clarified what I meant. I was trying to find out what Type's of linear Amp's were out there that I could consider @ a reasonable price & realible. The reasoning behind all of this is because I also have a Cobra 148GTL that was worked on by a friend's friend who claimed was an ex-personnal for 1 of the main manufacture's of CB radio's. He Tweaked & tuned my radio; + gave it an extra kick to it; Swings up to 40watts(supposelly). I have that puppy hooked up to a Wilson 5000 in one of my work's company truck's & was planning to either use it on that 1 or my Midland to the Lil' Will in my personnal vehicle. Presentlly the 148 is clear as a whistle when it came to audio & Dead key's somewhere in the range of +9db's - 30db's but can only be heard maybe 6-7 miles. The guy's 148 who worked on mine's could be heard I would say roughlly about 15 maybe 17miles out; Because he has an Amp hooked up to It.

Wow!! I've learned something that will be a big help from reading this post. I've been puzzling over what kind of antenna mount to install on my sunfire. Sounds like the Lil Wil might be worth a try. Yep,..pays to read some of this stuff sometimes. :)

ytrunk mounts do just clip on but trunks dont always provide
enough ground.and definately a poor to average groundplane effect at best.if it was me id try the splitter see what happens
being ya said 1 mile would make ya happy.wal mart sells
a cb antenna that looks like a cell phone antenna expect its a cb antenna with coax and mount yea its a magnet.but its very small guessing 2-3feet.but if ya do a setup like this
use a very cheap radio cause ya probaly may have fairly high
swr with this.now for me id get either a k30 or lil wil and mount
it on the ROOF in center.not trunk.then if ya only wanted to use it parttime just take it off put it in trunk

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.