• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CHANNEL 16/SSB

Hearing 339 in the mobile from Bay area (San Fran.?), 975, 544 Wisconsin, 101 in Dallas. Sounds like 222 in Central Florida is drawing a crowd. Also heard 333 in Maine in the mobile but then lost him. Just barely pulling out 636.

Last edited:
Reactions: camaro1
What does everyone think of the "Return to LSB16" experiment? There has been some success, but various forms of QRM have been a problem. The Spanish we keep hearing sounds like a dispatcher. I also keep hearing a station calling itself "The Body Shop" whose female operators don't strike me as knowledgeable in automotive issues. Someone else complained of constant bleed over from 17.

The effort to reclaim LSB 16 started with operators looking to relieve the LSB38 pile ups. Operators with 23 channel rigs chimed in. They wanted to once again be able to participate regularly in SSB - an opportunity they lost when SSB activity jumped to 38LSB.

I propose 2 solutions:
(1) We keep riding it out on LSB 16 and hope it catches on as we spread the word and continue the practice.
(2) Give up on 16 and look for a different SSB channel. My proposal would be channel 1 for 3 reasons. (a) It is close to 38 on the dial, so it is easy to switch to. (b) It does not seem to have any regular activity (like Mexican dispatchers or "body shops"). (c) Operators with the 23 channel rigs will be able to participate.

Just my thoughts. What does everyone think?

Reactions: Tutescrew
I had a good time, made about 5 contacts from this forum and several other contacts from the AM side that switched to lsb to see what was going on. yes there was a lot of AM bleed over, I don't think that our small amount of activity will make the AM side re-locate. might as well try a different freq next week?

I am game for a frequency change! Pick one and let's roll with it. Keep the time and day the same though as it seems to be good for everyone. Channel 1 lsb, that's 26.965 lsb then. Anybody on the air now that can go to Channel 1 lsb and try to make a contact? I will go there If someone else will. Let me know.

Hey camaro1 can you go to channel 1 lsb and give a couple shouts here in a minute. Gotta get to my radio but will listen.

Reactions: camaro1
I'm calling out cq on channel 1 but there seems to be some bleedover from 26.967 or .968, maybe On am or some thing.

I had a good QSO with 333 this evening on 16 LSB. The QRM was managable. I think when the skip is rolling you are going to have problems with AMers no matter what channel you pick. If we keep moving around the band it will be harder to establish our "turf". My vote would be to stay on 16 LSB but if every one moves then I will follow....

Agreed there pobilly, just seems like the same crap on every weekend, Spanish stations kill it for me anyway. I would like to stay on 16lsb as well but if there is a better channel then I am all for it. Will have to try to make some contacts on Channel 1 before I make my final decision though!

the reason 16 lsb is because of the gentlemens agreement back when 23 channels was the rule... there is a lot of ssbers on 16 not just the ones here on the forum.... channel 1 here in central florida is useless because of the superbowl on channel 6 it bleeds up 5 and down 5 channels,,,not because they are close just because they run very dirty radios, amps, some very unusual antenna setups,,,,,,,,,,,,,we just need to keep in mind that there are ops out there and sometimes you get lucky and have a qso........the trouble for us here in florida is the time slot that is the time of day the skip runs hard from the latin countries,,,, when grey line comes in california comes in but just for a short time,,mornings before midday sun might be a better time,,, but then winter is coming up a whole new skip setup will start happening.... just a few thoughts 73s midnight special cbt273

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.