• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CHANNEL 16/SSB

You will never be able to bring CH 16 SSb ops back to what it was before the 23/40 CH change over, most of the hardcore guys that ran 16 moved to 27.145 to try to get away from traffic even back then ( this was one of the reasons that the A or Alpha channels became popular) and there are more AM users than ever down there.
Also, out here on the west coast, CH 17 is like CH 19 in other parts of the country, lots of drivers on the superslab use it.
It is fun to revive the frequency for occasional use, but it is a challenge.
CH 38 is crammed with LSB traffic anytime the band is open, but 35,36,37,39 and 40 are often underused while 38 is a total mess.
I have made hundreds of contacts on SSB by simply calling on 38, and saying that I will be listening on 36....this is a tactic used by many ham ops to make contacts.
Give it a try sometime.

Jeff

"To Hail and Back" is what I called AudioShockwave's approach. Use 38 to hail but then QSY to another frequency so you can continue your QSO without QRM and you don't tie up LSB38. It is just good operator practice. If we can't agree on anything else, one thing I'm pretty sure of is that everyone who's been chiming in on this tries to run a good station and extends courtesies to fellow operators too often forgotten by others.

LSB38 is a mess right now. It really highlights the need to have a second hailing frequency. Channel 1 has some minimal AM traffic. Channel 16 is about the same as 1. Either (if not both) could do the job right now of serving as alternative hailing frequencies.

The bleed over from channel 6 did not go unnoticed. It was one of the reasons I suggested channel 1 - because it is as low as we can legally go to get away from that mess. 16 is close enough to 19 that some of us deal with bleed over from that direction.

Keep the suggestions coming. If enough of us are interested we'll make it work.

Try USB, I heard a few on today, 007, and 126 on chnl 16, USB came in good above the MEXICANS with no problem.
DOCTOR/795

OTE="doctor, post: 494323, member: 1747"]Anyone remember the 60's or 70's when ssb was on channel 16....
I was checking the channels the other day when skip was in and heard some ssb on the channel, but could not make out where they were.

Anyone try channel 16 on ssb?, yes I know 36 to 40 is ssb also...

DOCTOR/795[/QUOTE]
During the late 70's through the early 80's in dyker hights bk ny there were some people using 16 lsb until Artie Windjammer would key down the Johnson Viking 500, on home channel 15, minutes later thay were gone!) Anyone remember Artie? RIP, if you Knew him on a personal level, he was a funny mf'er. Got me my first tuber. A sonar fs2340, still have it. Artie made lots of memory's for 100's of people. those 811a's screamed across three states.

Great Thread Guys!! Back in the 70's I remember hearing side banders on my "Coleco CB 40 " lol even though we could not understand them hihi. Yes I will tune in as well! I will start to listen more on 16 LSB for sure

i thought i heard rick a little after 6 but couldnt get back,,,,,,,,it seemed the longer i was on the spanish noise got worse, even to the point of a mexican trying to harrass american stations,,,,,it finally quieted down about 8pm but then couldnt hear anyone i guess the conditions had dropped.... will be on again tommorrow..........

gonna be on a little after 6pm eastern,,, it isnt real noisy yet but the closer it gets to dark the more spanish am stations will come in...... channel 27 lsb was hot for england stations mid day today...................

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.