• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Channel number announcer for blind operator.

DX-DIGGER

Feb 7, 2009
Hi Guys, I hope this is the right section for this post.
I am looking for a modification, possibly an add-in PCB that announces with voice the channel you have selected.
I do believe there were some made many years ago, but I am having difficulty in finding any information.
I am not on about audio talkback, but a channel number announcer.
I have been pointed to a UTB1 by RF-Limited, but that is a normal talkback board and not what I am after.
This is for an 88 year old cber who has lost his sight, and usually finds himself on the wrong chanel.
Any advice you guys can provide would be fantastic.
I hope you can help
Thanks Mark

I see options for amateur rigs but nothing for cb. The icom 7300 looks to have that option and can operate well on 11 meter am.

This sounds like something you'd need to build yourself. I imagine it could be done with an arduino reading the channel selector in parallel with the PLL and then calling a speech library or audio file to do the announcement. Feed the arduino audio output into the audio chain of the radio so that the level can be controlled by the volume knob.

Just need to make sure it only does the announcement once per channel change. Would get real annoying if it talked over receive audio.

Reactions: Tokin and NZ8N
The Kenwood TS-450/850 and TS-950 series radios with the "voice module " would announce frequency at the touch of a button also. One of my "Elmer's" was blind, he loved his Kenwood TS-850!!!!

PS: think the Kenwood TS-870 would work this way also. Though that is a hard radio to find.
The ESSB and AM HF'rs love that rig!!!!

Kenwood Transceivers – Page 2 – Jahnke Electronics

Thanks for all the replies guys, yes I know ham radio gear has voice modules, sadly there is no budget for such a radio, plus he would be ever more lost with all the buttons, and modern touch screen radio's would be a nightmare for him.

Yes I was thinking of the possibility of an Arduino reading the pll data and announcing by a lookup table. however, I do like the idea of not a seperate transmitter, but maybe another cb set to ch20 and when he keys up on 20 he gets feedback. he can then work out where he is.
That is an excellent solution it just means he cant use channel 20.
Hmm need to find a scrapper now.
Thanks guys

23 channel radios that had the PA selection between 22 and 23 worked well for the blind back in the day. That could be a solution if he only uses the lower 23. I even used that trick a few times to keep my eyes on the road while driving.

I was thinking of another solution that might work for him. Glue a plastic dial skirt behind the channel selector knob and cut a notch on top that represents his favorite channel. If you can’t find a knob that already has a skirt, cut one out of a plastic pill bottle lid or laundry soap measuring cap. Glue a bar cut from a pin or piece of plastic (see attached) above the notch.
Dial skirt.jpg

Cool idea, sunbulls.
I was thinking there were some vintage CB’s with raised numbers on the channel knob that he would be able to discern with his fingers. But an exhaustive search revealed none. Must’ve dreamed it.

Reactions: Tokin
Cool idea, sunbulls.
I was thinking there were some vintage CB’s with raised numbers on the channel knob that he would be able to discern with his fingers. But an exhaustive search revealed none. Must’ve dreamed it.
Well what do you know, @Riverman makes an appearance! Glad to see you still come around to visit the wwdx clique

Reactions: Riverman
Local tech here made something along those lines for a 80 yo diabetic whos sight went so bad he could only tell dark from light and couldnt use a phone or computer, and could not see channel numbers on the radio, think it was a uniden grant. No talking numbers, but 1 short beep when he landed on channel 10, 2 beeps for 20, 3 for 30, and 4 for 40. As soon as he selected a channel that beeped he knew where he was and only had to count up to 5 clicks up or down to select any channel he wanted.

If you want the circuit or more details pm me and ill pass it on to them.

Well what do you know, @Riverman makes an appearance! Glad to see you still come around to visit the wwdx clique

My venture into astronomy fizzled due to a shortage of quality telescopes and accessories, most of which are manufactured in China. As they say, “The best laid plans of mice and men . . .”

So looks like you’re stuck with me again. :)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.