• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Check out the new magnum!!!

So I guess I could order that radio from the same factory Magnum does and label it the "Ratso3000" version 10 with my special super whoop-ass mod (snip, snip) and tell everyone it's the best version there is? These guys aren't building anything, they're just all ordering from the same Chinese factory that's cranking out these clone radios.

Just need to buy a few thousand of them....

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Just a trinket radio. Magnum just sunk themselves to the bottom of the barrel. Maybe their older rigs will increase in value now. I'd better jack up the price of my 257.

Stupid ass cornball looking POS.

Reactions: binrat
Yep gonna hold on to my magnums for a while lol. I was really hoping for something new but oh well. Makes me just want to go HF enemy more!! Soon.

Hey why spend all that money on R&D, tooling, designing when you can get someone's else to do it and all you have to is stick a lable on it. Ask Alinco and others how that is working out for them. Can't wait till you see the ICOM IC-3000 or the Kenwood TS-5000 all based on the Maxlog or CRE. I am kidding of course...or am I?

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Just a trinket radio. Magnum just sunk themselves to the bottom of the barrel. Maybe their older reputation, its all the bottom line.l increase in value now. I'd better jack up the price of my 257.

Stupid ass cornball looking POS.
The market is drying up for these, this is why mfg's are going this route. It cuts costs to help the bottom line. To hell with market share and reputation.

New export rigs have gotten to be a Don King Productions kinda thing for me. His Pay-per-views are always overpriced, and always a disappointment.

Brett

I have 3 magnums and im gonna keep them I have a s9 on the way. All the new export rigs seem to have problems right out of the box...

get an hf radio and dont look back at all these export radio's, with the exception of the (optima mk3's and magnum 257's), i have had many of these other exports and these are the only ones that made the cut! and are still here,, used all the $ from selling off the other exports and got some real radio's (alinco dx-sr8t, icom ic-7200, yaesu ft-757 gxII) , im not getting excited about any of these new radios till something comes along that at least meets or exceeds the quality of the optima mk3.

Reactions: 222DBFL and hotrod
Yep camaro1, you got that right! Next purchase will be an HF radio for sure. The icom 7200 is top of the list! I haven't heard anything bad about it yet anyway.

After looking a the circuit board; I have to say that I can't see much difference between the engineering, materials, and design of this radio's main board - and any number of Chinese 2m mobile radio we buy and like.

So, since it has echo on a 10-12m rig; this is the real reason it is being dissed?
I can understand that part.

Kinda curious about this radio if Magnum has shown interest in putting their name on it and are willing to back it with their warranty policy. Thought the 8900 has better layout and features - IMO. The real difference is which one has proven to be the better build.

Last edited:
I imagine it's harder for Sam to bring out a totally different offering and compete with all the recent flavors of crap flooding the scene.

Any decent performing radio will always get my attention. It's no deal breaker for me if it has echo and beep. I'd just like to see the controls for that kind of stuff hidden within the menu though.

Think magnum 257! Sold under a dozen different names world wide,some predating m257.Badge engineering is nothing new I own a ford thats a rebadged maxda Don"t dismiss it because it's not a new radio.The maxlog is based on a anyclone and in my opinion,at least, is better. Yes I hate the roger beep and echo but if you dont like it dont use it.Anyway what market do you think anything named magnum is aimed at?
Like I said a good radio that can only get better with Sams input. One of the biggest problems I have with modern electronics in general is the world wide trend to ban lead solder.( CE cert) Lead free solder doesn't hold up as well to heat and vibration as the leaded type. Just what we need ! Will this radio or any of the new breed be working classics in 20 years time? I don't think so

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.