• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Choosing a location for an ANTENNA

Charlie Brown

certifiable
Dec 18, 2010
Tennessee
www.pedalsteelman.com
I am in the process of buying a house. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me if I was looking for an optimal location to buy in the middle Tennessee area around Nashville.

What should I look for. I am sure a nice high location on top of a hill but still what I am trying to explain is ive heard guys talk about driving around in their yard and where ever the signal comes in best on their radios that is where they put their tower?? Is there any truth in this? Is there really a specific area on a given piece of property where your radio would rx and tx better that other areas??

I know it seems when i am pulling in the drive way to where I currently reside I notice I can hear distant stations in my car a little better at the back of the house but I thought one u got above the house it didnt make much difference? Can anyone elaborate? :drool:

your'e damn serious about the radio hobby if your'e gonna buy a house based on the best antenna location (y) . higher is better and i think the less trees and buildings near the feed-point height of the antenna for a hundred yards or so the better . it being above everything nearby is optimal , im guessing very few folks live there though . most of us live somewhere south of optimal . i wouldn't put any stock in the driving around the yard thing since a mobile antenna is so close to the ground and a base antenna is up in the air , hopefully above all or most nearby structures and good base antennas usually have a elevated ground-plane . also the antenna on the vehicle could be mounted in a location that makes it slightly directional which will skew those results .

just my opinion ....

Always wanted a house with a silo, mount an antenna on top of one of those bad boys and bam, get my words heard with a 2 pill.

I wouldn't put much stock in driving around for the best location as it's been said before, just keep in mind height is key, as well as keeping it away from trees and such. of course, you could always throw a nice vertical in the top of a tree and be done with it...

I am in the process of buying a house. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me if I was looking for an optimal location to buy in the middle Tennessee area around Nashville.

What should I look for. I am sure a nice high location on top of a hill but still what I am trying to explain is ive heard guys talk about driving around in their yard and where ever the signal comes in best on their radios that is where they put their tower?? Is there any truth in this? Is there really a specific area on a given piece of property where your radio would rx and tx better that other areas??

I know it seems when i am pulling in the drive way to where I currently reside I notice I can hear distant stations in my car a little better at the back of the house but I thought one u got above the house it didnt make much difference? Can anyone elaborate? :drool:

I would NEVER use CB radio performance as a reason to buy a house in a specific area.

Just do the best you can. I would look for one with a larger property acreage and where the neighbors are not too close.
Don't want to be on a bottom that's for sure. Include money for a decent tower. One that will let you get up high enough to see the horizon all around. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 person
I would NEVER use CB radio performance as a reason to buy a house in a specific area.

I would lol. I was lucky that I picked a great spot because I wasnt into radio at the time I got my place. High clear and something else that helps is powerlines underground. If you had a friend nearby I guess you could look for a hotspot with a handheld but I would put the tower where you want it and get the antenna plenty high. Peace! I found a spot down by cool springs afew miles below nashville that I could get up on and was talking to bases in birmingham al with a mobile and 400 watts. 160 miles. Just west of 31 up high.

Always wanted a house with a silo, mount an antenna on top of one of those bad boys and bam, get my words heard with a 2 pill.

I wouldn't put much stock in driving around for the best location as it's been said before, just keep in mind height is key, as well as keeping it away from trees and such. of course, you could always throw a nice vertical in the top of a tree and be done with it...

i always thought it would be cool to convert a water tower into a home . put a elevator in the middle support and run windows around the tank like a UFO :D . a good antenna on top of the middle should kick some ass too .
when i hit the lottery ..... LOL

Where I am now at one point we had a silo up and the cost of the insurance for it was bad. Just make sure you are up high and dry with a good strong tower and you'll be laughing. Naturally high is the key. My dipole for HF is about 36' on it and I can talk over others closeby who are running power.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.