• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Classical example of why dumbing down of the tests is not a good idea.

That's simple. Don't touch the antenna while transmitting. :D Seriously, those RF exposure limits imposed by the FCC and Industry Canada are a joke. They are WELL below even the minimally acceptable limits and nobody on HF is going to exceed them unless they are running legal limit and sitting in the middle of their four-square on 80m. I had to do RF exposure limits calculations and post signs at our AM transmitter sites. The "Danger" zone was something like 20 feet from the center of radiation of a three tower array with a kilowatt carrier (4 Kw pep) into it and 30 feet for the "Warning" zone. The "Off Limits" zone was about 1/2 of an inch from the tower as that was about how far it could arc on a wet day. :laugh:Higher frequencies of course have a different radius for those zones but most people have their antenna up above ground level anyway.

Who has an 80M antenna on the ground?

No link.

I've just seen it done in person.

Just a quick and dirty way for regional comms using NVIS. Helps evade RDF as well as signal jamming by the enemy.

I was just a combat flight medic, but I hung around commo guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Who has an 80M antenna on the ground?

Lots of people. Ground mounted verticals are quite popular. I'll bet you weren't thinking that. that's why I said about sitting in the middle of your four-square array.My reference about people having their antenna higher above the ground was taking into account that the higher up they are the further away they are and hence the lower the RF radiation received.The really fortunate operators have four-square arrays like Bill, ZS6CCY. I worked him sometime ago on 75m. Some of the very best performing antennas on 80m are in fact ground mounted and NOT at a high elevation above the ground.It was already 2 hours past his local sunrise and his four-square array was still cooking.

AMATEUR RADIO STATION ZS6CCY

Reactions: 2 people
look at the 75mtr isotron its a good antenna for linited space

really? I've always "heard" that they were great dummy loads, I've never owned or operated one.. perhaps that info was slightly incorrect.

BTW: I tried on Sat @1800z,..... nothing heard. will try agn next Sat.;)

Reactions: 1 person
This is so sad, the Elmer that helped me and a friend get our novice licenses told us at the very first novice class we had that he was going to give us an equation and we needed to learn and be able to recite on the spot. Here is the equation.

468 divided by the Frequency

In 1975 the Elmer by himself could give you the novice exam and before we began he told us that even if we answered all the questions on the exam right and could not write down the equation that he told use when we began, he would not pass us. We both passed and answered his own private equation, but it took me many years to understand how important that simple equation is and I can not count the times that I have used it.

Reactions: 2 people
yep,bands bad...

really? I've always "heard" that they were great dummy loads, I've never owned or operated one.. perhaps that info was slightly incorrect.

BTW: I tried on Sat @1800z,..... nothing heard. will try agn next Sat.;)

Yep have one,and use alot...and have a 75mtr dbl bazooka i use also.and other antennas are dipoles or a99 for 10/12mtrs.And most of the new hams are appliance operators but most that ran 11mtrs are fairly knowledgeable.And trying to learn,some i know gave up and still run 11mtrs,one has close to 20k in radios and runs his ranger 2995 and maco 300 on 28am.

468 divided by the Frequency

A fellow who used to live here in EL98 was whining about not be able to work a DXpedition on 20 meters because of some issue with his vertical antenna. I asked him several times why he didn't just whip up a dipole to try them on that. We listened as he ran off a list of excuses, failing to mention he just didn't know how to do it. When another location chided this guy about the formula we next heard the "don't have a calculator" lie. I finally worked up the answer for 14.225 and told him to grab a hunk of wiring laying around (all hams have wire laying around don't they?) and hook his ladder line (at least he had that much) to the dipole and give the DX a call.

"Nah, that's too much work. I'm gonna run down to AES and see about a GAP or Butternut vertical."

Wow, rather spend hundreds of dollars than cut a simple dipole. Advanced class operator, not that it matters but he was a VE at the time.:eek:

Yep have one,and use alot...and have a 75mtr dbl bazooka ....

cool,... I'm experminting with an E-H design antenna, 75 meter antenna about 19 inches long, wound on a PVC pipe, works surprisingly well for a "compromise" antenna. EH Antennas

easy and cheap to build, ya might wanna play with one**Jump_im**

you can put them on the vent pipe of a house, and most people won't even notice them

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?