• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Classical example of why dumbing down of the tests is not a good idea.

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?402997-antenna-book

Say as you want but this is a classic example of why the amateur exams today are far too easy. When an extra cannot even comprehend basic antenna theory as written in very basic terms as in the ARRL handbook and is incapable of making even a single band antenna something is drastically wrong.

This is an extra class ham with five years at least under the belt. :headbangFor those without a QRZ membership here is the original post. Callsign deleted to protect the ignorant.

1. Yesterday, 04:26 PM #1
    W4???
    user-online.png
    Subscriber

Join DateJan 2007Posts28

icon1.png
    antenna book
    Hello Folks:
    I previously posted this in the incorrect forum; I hope this post is in the correct place. I am searching for an antenna book that is easy to understand for someone with no experiences with antennas. I have a copy of Arrl Antenna Book ( 16th edition ) BUT it is Greek to me. I am looking for a book that explains ( in easy to understand terms) HOW and WHY antennas work. Ultimately, I'd like to someday build a single band antenna but first I want to understand them. Any suggestions ?

XXXX W4???​

Reactions: 3 people

It's not the first time a new extra class ham has posted here asking basically "whats a dipole and how can I make one". It's pathetic.

Yes it is pathetic. Not everyone is born with the knowledge and passion for antennas as I was ......:whistle:......but one would think that after at least five years in the hobby something would have sunk in. Now five years into it what was the knowledge base when this person submitted the memorized answers to the posted questions on the exam?

A dipole is at the heart of an antenna. Got to know some math in my opinion.

Depends on the antenna but a dipole does figure rather prominently in most antenna designs. Math is a definite requirement but only very basic math such as add, subtract, multiply, and divide. It's not like you need calculus or the ability to understand quantum physics to build a single band antenna.

I would have to know a whole lot more to be able to design antennas. It seems that my talents are in dreaming up a thing,gathering knowledge about what it is I want to construct and go through the planning and procuring stages and finish with a finished product. I skimmed through my 22nd edition ARRL antenna handbook some time back for more knowledge on an antenna project. However to fully understand about antenna building I would have to invest a considerable amount if time in in,probably years to be self confidant enough to master anything other than a basic antenna.

The FCC made the test for the extra class didn't they?
There is responsibility that goes along with having a ham license in the first place. The FCC is not going to let someone operate their equipment without knowing how to operate their equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Sad to say,i know 3 hams in my are that have ft1000s two of them and one has a ft1000mp and cant run it.One has had is extra lic since 1968.Yep,many yrs.I have to go over and reprogram the hts and also 2mtr radios if mem bat goes dowm from lack of use.One time when the one that had his lic from 1968 i didnt even have my lic yet,i had to show him how to hook up the radio when he got it new.Most hams now are appliance operators.Cant even wire a mic on old ft101 or ts520,god know they dont even know how to tune a tube amp.And i went to one house and he had his ta22 basakwords,yep it was all messed up.But he passed the written extra test.

Unfortunately, it's come down to memorizing a few questions to getting a license of whatever class. It's not a matter of knowing the information requested, it's a matter of memorization. Everyone isn't 'smart' enough to do everything. I am never going to be a nuclear scientist, or a brain surgeon. If that's disappointing to me then that's just too bad, you know? I seriously doubt if I can do a lot of things, does that mean that I should be 'given' those things? Holy crap, I hope not!
I agree things have been made too easy. That doesn't mean that I think it should be made so difficult no one could get a license, but there ought'a be some common sense mixed in it, you know?
What's the 'cure'? How about taking a few backward steps in the process and actually learning what you memorized?
- 'Doc

PS - No, I don't have an answer.

...The FCC made the test for the extra class didn't they?
There is responsibility that goes along with having a ham license in the first place. The FCC is not going to let someone operate their equipment without knowing how to operate their equipment.

actually, no, the FCC doesn't write the exam questions anymore, and hasn't for years.

I'm a strong believer that the Amateur Extra element question pools should not be public knowledge.

as a VE, I see it all the time, in all exam elements, where prople just wiz thru the test questions, looking for "buzz words" that they have memorized.

I also see some examinees, that it is obvious, that they havn't memorized the question pool answers and they are answering according to their actual knowledge/experience.

for those that don't memorize the elements, don't discount that all examinees are not professional electronic types, many are plumbers, mechanics, ect. and they have to actually study new material VS rely on their professional knowledge.

Dayum! what the heck is wrong with us Amateurs,? we are bad mouthing other Amateurs and not those low life, 10-4, good buddy, Cbers with sweep tube amps. :blink:

If all that you guys can see is this FCC exam is being dumbed down...then you need to start paying more attention. This whole world is rapidly heading in that direction...just like it was the absolute best place to go that one could imagine. Why should we be surprised...we have been told.

It is said in the Holy Bible that man can do anything he puts his mind to, and thus the Lord confused their language and spread men into the far reaches of this Earth...just like it is told to us. This was said to us, and was to have meaning for all times if we had faith, yet it is ignored in spite of all our history and evidence of what is going on. Prophesy from young men in this world is not dead, and by faith alone can you understand.

How else would this world of men that are crazy for power and control have their way with the rest of us. They give a hoot less about the consequences of their evil deeds, and thus we get what we get, as we live in a world totally preoccupied with reality TV and corruption...and all that goes along with it.

The truth of the end times has been told to us before it happened.

Looks like they are going to lower the number of VE's required to administer tests.

Maybe they want more people to be licensed.

It is the licensed amateurs who keep the hobby going.

Good or bad, more will get licensed, Deal with it or turn your rig off.

If an amateur asks a question, even a stupid question. Answer it, it is part of the amateur creed to assist others.

YOU as a self proclaimed V.E. should know this.

The Radio Amateur is:

Considerate…never knowingly uses the air in such a way to lesson the pleasure of others.

Loyal…offers loyalty, encouragement and support to their fellow radio amateurs, their local radio club, and to the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio is represented.

Progressive…with knowledge abreast of science. It is well-built and efficient. Operating practice is above reproach.

Friendly…slow and patient sending when requested, friendly advice and counsel to the beginner, kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are marks of the amateur spirit.

Balanced…radio is their hobby. They never allow it to interfere with any of the duties they owe to their home, job, church, school, or community.

Patriotic…their knowledge and their station are always ready for the service of his country and their community/

THIS applies to those (as you call them) 10-4, good buddy, sweep tube using cber's also.

Try a little patience and consideration and respect to our 11 meter friends and you will be surprised as to how many will become interested in amateur radio and get their license also.

actually, no, the FCC doesn't write the exam questions anymore, and hasn't for years.

I'm a strong believer that the Amateur Extra element question pools should not be public knowledge.

as a VE, I see it all the time, in all exam elements, where prople just wiz thru the test questions, looking for "buzz words" that they have memorized.

I also see some examinees, that it is obvious, that they havn't memorized the question pool answers and they are answering according to their actual knowledge/experience.

for those that don't memorize the elements, don't discount that all examinees are not professional electronic types, many are plumbers, mechanics, ect. and they have to actually study new material VS rely on their professional knowledge.

Dayum! what the heck is wrong with us Amateurs,? we are bad mouthing other Amateurs and not those low life, 10-4, good buddy, Cbers with sweep tube amps. :blink:

Last edited:
If an amateur asks a question, even a stupid question. Answer it, it is part of the amateur creed to assist others.

Agreed.

The Radio Amateur is:

Considerate…never knowingly uses the air in such a way to lesson the pleasure of others.

Loyal…offers loyalty, encouragement and support to their fellow radio amateurs, their local radio club, and to the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio is represented.

Progressive…with knowledge abreast of science. It is well-built and efficient. Operating practice is above reproach.

Friendly…slow and patient sending when requested, friendly advice and counsel to the beginner, kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are marks of the amateur spirit.

Balanced…radio is their hobby. They never allow it to interfere with any of the duties they owe to their home, job, church, school, or community.

Patriotic…their knowledge and their station are always ready for the service of his country and their community/

Again, I agree.
As an Amateur Radio Operator I encourge others to help MENTOR new members into the hobby

THIS applies to those (as you call them) 10-4, good buddy, sweep tube using cber's also.

Try a little patience and consideration and respect to our 11 meter friends and you will be surprised as to how many will become interested in amateur radio and get their license also.

Could not agree more, and is one of the founding Ideas of this forum, when we all started this web forum we agreed that it should embrace all types of radio users, and as a benifit, would encourage more people to enter the hobby.

Jeff

Agreed.

Again, I agree.
As an Amateur Radio Operator I encourge others to help MENTOR new members into the hobby

Could not agree more, and is one of the founding Ideas of this forum, when we all started this web forum we agreed that it should embrace all types of radio users, and as a benifit, would encourage more people to enter the hobby.

Jeff

Amen! That will preach!

AMEN'. This word, with slight differences of orthography, is in all the dialects of the Assyrian stock. As a verb, it signifies to confirm, establish, verify; to trust, or give confidence; as a noun, truth, firmness, trust, confidence; as an adjective, firm, stable. In English, after the oriental manner, it is used at the beginning, but more generally at the end of declarations and prayers, in the sense of, be it firm, be it established.

And let all the people say amen. Ps. cvi.

Last edited:
The Radio Amateur's Creed

May well behoove many to read and abide my this:

Radio Amateur's Creed
The Radio Amateur is:

Who wrote the Amateur’s Creed?

The Amateur Creed was composed in 1928 by Paul M. Segal – then 9EEA in Denver, and General Counsel of the ARRL. The creed has been updated a few times over the intervening years, to update the text and put it into contemporary terms.

The Amateur’s Creed appears in a number of ARRL publications such as the Handbook, and is just as valid today as it has been for nearly 70 years.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.