• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Coax extension or a longer piece?

Tweetybird

Jun 23, 2019
I need another 10' to raise the antenna 10'. are the barrels ok? I could put the extension inside the mast as it's a sirio starduster. Or just buy a longer coax? It's the mini 8 and I have a 300a amp. I am leaning toward longer piece of coax. But what is a good coax? I've been out of radio for 40 years or so.

I never hesitate using them. My OCD wants a single run, but my laziness accepts barrels and other adapters. I wish I could find the video where this engineer dude put about 20 different adapters together. It was ridiculous looking, but he was able to show negligible loss. His only recommendations was to use decent quality stuff that is clean.

A quality barrel connector will take as much power as the connector on the back of your amp, watt meter and antenna....maybe more.

Reactions: 357magnum
How much is too much? I run 600w through mine, maybe I should check them?

SM, if you check out Mustang 131 on YouTube you'll see he uses a big hootenater to help get his name called. (y)

He probably tried using a barrel connector to see what happens, and since he did it many times...he was either not convinced or he just liked to see sparks fly.(y)

Just my opinion!

Last edited:
If you use good quality connectors such as Amphenol you should not have a problem unless you run several kilowatts. Most of the cheaper connectors have a loose sloppy fit and that will cause arcing and will eventually burn up the connector. I know guys that run 1500-2000 watts on the ham bands with barrel connectors without any issue.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated