• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

coax length

Filmpros,
I think your best bet would be that center rear tire carrier mount. No, it isn't hte 'best' location for antenna mounting, but it's probably your best compromise.
The dual antenna thingy isn't exactly going to do you a lot of good. It's directional, but so would the tire carrier mounting location be sort of directional. 'Simple' is also good for your planned use of that vehicle, so you might think about that. You have a much better idea of what might be in the way, and what wouldn't be in the way, than I do.
Feed line. All things considered, 9913 is a bit of 'over-kill'. Certainly won't hurt, but it's really not going to do you a huge amount of good either, too many "if's", "and's" and 'but's" in that. That's up to you though.
Good luck!
- 'Doc

Thanks, again, freecell, for your reply. I like your answers as they give me an understanding of why there are disparate points of view on this subject. It seems to be that two of the three arguments are correct given certain circumstances.
I am not a licensed ham, but do have a cb to talk locally and a little skip sometimes. I am not running an amp - barefoot. I have owned an A99 without the ground plane kit for years, but I now see I must get one. I run a dx959, operate a dx88hl in my vehicle, and have an old Maxon 45w and a trc503 from many moons ago.
I recently constructed a choke like the one shown, and put it in line near the base of my antenna. Is this a good move, or a waste of my time?

Attachments

• choke.jpg
    choke.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 16
HomerBB,
A choke, such as pictured, very seldom does any harm, can certainly help with some problems, so is almost never a waste of time. Guess it depends on what you call being a waste. It does use a few feet of feed line, which could end up making the run to the antenna too short to reach the antenna, that's a waste I guess?
About that groundplane kit for the 'A99'. It would be interesting to hear an objective report of the differences you experience if/when you do add one. The key word being 'objective', rather than 'subjective'. Waiting with 'baited' breath?
My biggest question is where did this "1.1 choke balance" thingy come from? I think it's just a misapplication of terminology. If so, then no big deal, just don't get too used to seeing it expressed that way, it doesn't make a lot of sense really. Just confusing for an 'ol'fart' who never heard it before. :)
- 'Doc

I have ordered the GPK-1 and look forward to putting it up. I'll try to remain objective in my reporting. I own zero stock in anyones interest, and am only seeking to improve my tx/rx in the shack. As for the 1:1 choke terminology, I haven't a clue. I am just a reader, and want the benefits of whatever any reasonable device can offer.

Unfortunately, the ice storm here in northwest Arkansas (1/26 - 1/27) beat the GPK-1 to my door and has taken out my antenna. Unless I purchase another, or manage to repair the current antenna, I will not be able to report on the difference in the setup...

Last edited:
We may have gotten the same 'stuff' a day ahead of you (S.E Okla). Ain't it fun? Inch or two of ice, another inch or two of snow on top of it, 'Ice sculpture'! I think "Momma Nature" has a very perverted sense of humor, and her ears are probably melted/burned off from what people usually say about it...
- 'Doc

No doubt they (her ears) are burning.

I will get my A99 back up tomorrow with some repairs done to its skin.
In the meantime, I've stuck a skywire in the attic to see how it does. With the construction of a 4:1 balun and the tentative insertion of a hairpin match I've managed to get the SWRs down around 1:5 :1. It talks locally, but I don't think the ears are so good.

The lowest SWRs appear to be in the 26Mhz range, so I'm gonna try to shift the match upward a little bit.

Oh, well, I'm rattling on...

Hope you are warm and safe. We had to buy a generator to light us up.

Put a FIRE UP by Firestick on top of the A-99, Made for this it puts the winding at the top. It works better than my old CLR 2 Radio Shack, Or my I Max when it comes to clean Rec or Local X-Mit. And living in the Iceing Blue Ridge, It holds up better than any metal ant. Great low SWR with a good solid copper ground wire and a 6 ft copper ground rod. As my bumber sticker says, ( My other Ant is a 4 element beam ). Bent from ICE!

Boy this opens a can o worms..ok,, what if you get the exact lengths of cable and get a perfect swr,,then you change a jumper cable to a different size and your swr changes,,,,what now ?

Replace the antenna with a dummy load. You'll always have a great SWR, but you won't make many contacts.

On the other hand, as long as your rig doesn't cut back power, get on the air and have fun.

I have ordered the GPK-1 and look forward to putting it up. I'll try to remain objective in my reporting. I own zero stock in anyones interest, and am only seeking to improve my tx/rx in the shack. As for the 1:1 choke terminology, I haven't a clue. I am just a reader, and want the benefits of whatever any reasonable device can offer.

Unfortunately, the ice storm here in northwest Arkansas (1/26 - 1/27) beat the GPK-1 to my door and has taken out my antenna. Unless I purchase another, or manage to repair the current antenna, I will not be able to report on the difference in the setup...

have ya got up the gpk yet or not

Yes. I put it up.

I seem to have better receive on locals; up to 40 miles with slightly louder audio, but no more s-units on the meter. Good reports from those I've spoken to.

As for DX, there has been none since I put it up except during a short period i was out of town.

A local said he experienced more noise in his radio with a GPK, so he removed it. I have not experienced any more noise.

I need more time to really tell.

:)
So in other words, there was no immediate, jumps up and bites you, miraculous improvement in receiving, or huge amplifier 'affect' on transmitting. Right?
- 'Doc

"there were no big noticeable differences"

the image plane current is still present on the mast and the outer shield of the feedline, doesn't belong there. it needs to be forced back up into the radial system before you will begin to notice any real improvement in performance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.