• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax switch?

How about a duplexer? I might get one for my scanner.
https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-916B

MFJ-916B_THUMB.jpg

I looked at those too. There’s a lot of options, I just want to make sure I don’t ruin a radio and then have to work on it. I have enough of that without causing myself more work, haha.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Reactions: jessejamesdallas
As long as one radio doesn’t feed the other and cause an issue, I’m fine with whatever the brand is. I have my A99 hooked directly to my 2995DX, sometimes I’d like to be able to test other radios on the antenna without having to unhook the 2995.

Once this tower gets up then things may change and I might not have a use for a switch.
They will feed over from one to another if both set-ups are turned ON...(least when talking) I just turn on the set-up I'm going to be using at the time...I have one radio I prefer for SSB, the other set-up is more for AM.

I have actually read that the Chinese switches aren't horrible at all for hf. I also didn't realize that mfj just solders a gas tube in for lightning protection.

Any idea what voltage gas tube would be ideal for this? Any idea what kind of switch ratings would be needed for legal limit if I were to build one?

If RF leaks into another antenna no harm no foul.
If RF leaks into the other radio & even if it is turned off you can damage the front end.
Alpha Delta switch rated at 60db separation can still leak RF into other positions.

If RF leaks into the other radio & even if it is turned off you can damage the front end.
Alpha Delta switch rated at 60db separation can still leak RF into other positions.
Where did you find specs on the alpha delta? I can't find much of anything on them.

The switches that shunt to ground when deselected would seem to be best for switching radios. That way the front ends don't get damaged. The MFJ switches that I showed do this.

Where did you find specs on the alpha delta? I can't find much of anything on them.

Yes the unused terminals shunt to grnd but some RF can still bridge over, especially
if you are running an amplifier.
It happened to a friend of mine.

I'm pretty sure the specs are on their website or on the packaging they come in.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Guess I'm "OK"...been set-up like this now for a couple years and no problems...not running a ton of watts either...now probably next week everything will go south on me since I said "I've never had any problems". :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.