• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coaxial Cable Length

Cackalacky Kid

Jul 19, 2019
Let me start with a greetings to all. I am new to HAM and this forum. I am in the process of setting up a RS and an antenna system. Back in the day I was heavily into CB radio. To receive/transmit a good signal there was an optimum length of cable that connected the antenna to the radio. I remember setting up my CB system in my Jeep and I had coax routed all over the floor board under the carpet. Is there an optimal length of coax to run from the antenna to the transceiver? I am running LMR400 coax from a Yaesu FT-450D to a Tram 1481 vertical antenna. Thanks.

[URL='https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SHVZBO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1']
[/URL]

First Welcome and Congrat's on your new ticket!
Now as to the TRAM vertical and usage on the FT-450D rig. What did you plan on using this antenna for?
The FT-450D is a HF/6m transceiver.
The Tram 1481 is a 2m and 440 (VHF/UHF) antenna.
The're really is nothing compatible between them.
So question what class license did you get? Tech/General?
What bands of operation, do you have interest in.
Many here to help!!
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

To early for congratulation but thanks for the welcome. I hope to be testing for Technician/General next month. I plan on testing for both on the same day. In the meantime I am working on getting set up. I have most of the equipment I need to start. I just have to work out how I am going to set things up. The Tram antenna is just something to start out with. It was free. After I get more acquainted with how things work I plan on building or purchasing a multi band dipole that gives me more room to take advantage of the FT-450D frequency range. I was hoping I could use the Tram antenna to do some listening if possible until I get my Tech and General ticket. As it stands now I am interested in DX and local emergency/SHTF types of operations. Of course that could change after I get the feel of things. I have no one near me to use as an Elmer so I am doing my own research. This is one reason I joined this forum. I definitely need some help and can use all I can get. I am retired so as long as I am still breathing I have time to check things out. Thanks again.

OK very good.
Well for SKYWARN and local comm's the Tram is a OK antenna for that.
What is your general location? This will help identify what systems for those comm's may be in your area.
Do you own an old police scanner, most of these can be programed to receive local repeaters and FM SIMPLEX operation in your area that the Tram antenna is designed for.
For HF reception on the 450D, really all that is required is some wire. Even 20-30ft pushed into the antenna connection on that rig will receive signals and allow you to listen to signals on the HF bands.
I guess next question, do own your home? Lot size? Tall trees...tower? all these will help us. help you on your new Journey to Amatuer Radio
Again Welcome!
Many here to help!
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: Cackalacky Kid
Reply to:
BJ radionut
I have an old Realistic multi band handheld scanner around somewhere. I live in Southeast NC. on ten acres of land in the middle of the woods with a one acre cleared lot on the edge of a swamp. The trees that are closest to the house are a couple a three swamp oaks and pines around 30ft. high. There is a commercial radio tower a mile or two from the house. I am hoping it does not come into play.

http://www.ncse.org/maps
The TRAM antenna will work well hooked to the old scanner as high as practical. The frequencies that antenna works on are pretty much "Line of Sight" comm's. SO height makes might :LOL:
However these are very commonly used for SKYWARN, severe weather reporting and local chit chat.
So which major city is close? I can look-up local repeaters and see what's active in that area and give you an idea what to program into the scanner so you can listen.
Most of those old programable scanners cover several Amatuer bands and receive well when hooked to an outside antenna like the Tram you have.
So if you find it, let us know. The AC wall adaptor or power supply would be handy also, so your not using batteries all the time.
All the Best
Gary

I question why you purchased a vhf/uhf antenna to connect to an HF radio? While yes you will hear something it will be greatly reduced. You say you were into CB but yet you purchased such a great disparity of equipment? Where you using the FT-450 on 11meters and now are looking to get your ticket? As for your question, there is no optimal cable length just run the amount needed to go from the antenna to the radio.

When you do get your ticket the Tram antenna will do fine with a nice 2\70cm setup.

Last edited:
As for your question, there is no optimal cable length just run the amount needed to go from the antenna to the radio.

True words. There is no such thing as the proper length of coax cable. Not on amateur radio and not even on CB radio despite all the myth and fallacies surrounding it.

True words. There is no such thing as the proper length of coax cable. Not on amateur radio and not even on CB radio despite all the myth and fallacies surrounding it.
Okay I'll mention the one exception . When using coax for an impedance transformer the length is measured and specific to to frequency. When using coax for phasing elements , length is critical.

As CK stated...
When Abraham Lincoln was asked, "How long do you think a man's legs should be?" he replied, "Long enough to reach the ground."

Peculiar anecdote, I ran the coax down one side of the vehicle and could not get the computer out of the radio or the radio out of the computer. Receive noise was near 10 over and 250W would either shut the engine off or put it in limp mode until restarted.
Ran it down the other side and used 75 ohm , dual shield , high end RG-11 as a last resort. Last report is a real kilo dead hammer and no issues.

Last exception (for today anyway) and has nothing to do with mobile ops and not coax,

http://www.w5dxp.com/notuner/notuner.htm

~again , just some useless information unless you need it :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.