• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142gtl component location

No don't worry, I don't do the "Slide 5kc up and down".

So you may be asking the wrong person but I have found numerous ways to trick slide for a wider adjustment rage - but then you run into stability issues like you suggest.

I see the Clarifier Adjustment as a two-fold issue...
  • 1. When you unlock the clarifier - Center Slot needs to be determined. From the resistor in the potentiometer it doesn't care where you think "Center" should be. If you decide to use the "Detent" then Center slot is a traditional Straight up nickels affair.
  • 2. The secondary issue deals with LINEARITY of both the Potentiometer as well as the Varactor - if the unlock function goes well, you'll have enough slide both up and down to achieve the desired slide-ability.
    • It's when the Linearity isn't there and the Pot has to go to extremes - then you need some extra help.

If I'm dealing with a roundtable - mostly they want to talk to a lot of others so they usually keep to the nickles - like 27.385 Lower

SO there are tricks and things you can do - but is the effort worth the rewards? Possibly but if it's a customer that is fussy, then you need to FOLLOW THEIR DIRECTIONS - at least if you expect to get Paid.

No don't worry, I don't do the "Slide 5kc up and down".

Here's the 2 issues I see:
You said "you don't deal with 5kc up & down". I'm not sure what you mean by that, ie you want more....or less? Regardless, the way I see it, as I already noted, if you can slide just 5 up & down, that kills 2 birds w/1 stone.. because 5 up & 5 down covers an entire 10kc distance between channels, which in turn, preserves stability. That's how it seems to me. No need to slide any further as all that would be needed is to click the clicker to do that. And less slide doesn't let you cover the whole base..

As to the rest of what you said, I couldn't really follow it. Center slot, to me, means setting the clarifier so that when it's at the 12 o'clock position, radio is right in the center of the channel where it's supposed to be. That's easy to do when there's an imbalanced up & down. But when it's balanced out, THAT'S where I find often, that one of the side bands is now beyond the ability to get it centered, and often, it's way off....but the coil is no longer able to adjust the inductance any further in the necessary direction. At that point, I think cutting the slug in half, will give a tad more adjustment, but still not enough. I'm not sure if it's capacitance or reactance that us needed at that point, but I have a trick that gets you there, so that in the end, you can achieve a true center slot in am/lsb/usb at 12 o clock on the knob. I find the issue most often occurs w/148/grant xl.

I think when you turn the slug up & down, you are raising or lowering the henry's? But sometimes that window of adjustment is not enough to support center slot across am/lsb/usb. When this happens, I'm not sure if it's more inductance or less, that's needed, to achieve the result. All I know is that cutting the slug in half helps, but still not enough. Removing the slug is also not enough. So the question, in my mind, becomes how do you get more? I'm sure there's a more proper way to do it than my dirty trick, but it works.

So you may be asking the wrong person but I have found numerous ways to trick slide for a wider adjustment rage - but then you run into stability issues like you suggest.

I see the Clarifier Adjustment as a two-fold issue...
  • 1. When you unlock the clarifier - Center Slot needs to be determined. From the resistor in the potentiometer it doesn't care where you think "Center" should be. If you decide to use the "Detent" then Center slot is a traditional Straight up nickels affair.
  • 2. The secondary issue deals with LINEARITY of both the Potentiometer as well as the Varactor - if the unlock function goes well, you'll have enough slide both up and down to achieve the desired slide-ability.
    • It's when the Linearity isn't there and the Pot has to go to extremes - then you need some extra help.

If I'm dealing with a roundtable - mostly they want to talk to a lot of others so they usually keep to the nickles - like 27.385 Lower

SO there are tricks and things you can do - but is the effort worth the rewards? Possibly but if it's a customer that is fussy, then you need to FOLLOW THEIR DIRECTIONS - at least if you expect to get Paid.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.