• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 GTL AM s-meter issue

Unit 75

"TRAINMAN"
Jul 29, 2014
Central Alabama
I have a 148GTL that receives low on AM only. SSB reads fine. When I inject a S-9 signal into the antenna jack the radio's s-meter reads 9 s-units on SSB. When it is injected on the AM side it reads about 1.5 s-units. All the cans in the rx chain seem to peak ok and none of the slugs are bottomed out or near the rim. Any ideas why sensitivity would be low on AM only and fine on both sidebands?

If the 7.345 MHz crystal becomes weak, that will affect AM only. We check for that by taking a good crystal and holding the two pins up to the foil pads where the factory crystal is soldered. If the AM signal comes up, that crystal is weak. Don't have an exact signal level from that crystal to measure on a 'scope.

C62 can go bad and affect AM but not sideband.

Those are the two places to look that first come to mind.

Well guy's this was a tough one. I did manage to find the problem. If you look between your 455KHz filter and the big 7.8MHz Filter there is a resistor and a diode.(D3, I believe) The factory sure used a lot of that glue on one side of that little black 455KHz filter. I removed the glue and cleaned it off to find underneath it had eaten D3's anode clean in two. Replaced D3, re-aligned the receive and Bob's your Uncle. Thank you for your input guys. I checked your suggestions out but it still had not rectified my problem.
'73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated