1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Cobra 148 Gtl

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by nicky, Jun 13, 2018.

1. nicky

nicky New Member

I just recently bought a Cobra 148 GTL and there's a rotary knob on the right side of the radio and I have IMG_2121.jpg no idea what it's for.

2. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

Could be upper and or lower extra channels

nicky likes this.
  3. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Lets' see...

Open it up!

nicky and midnight special like this.
  4. nicky

nicky New Member

I did have it open and it's just a pot. I didn't look how it was wired.

5. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Sounds like a carrier-power control for AM transmit, probably.

nicky likes this.
  6. Handy Andy

Oh, ok - thought maybe you had a photo - wired the pot to the main board? Or left open and dangling like they removed a board? (I'm thinking ECHO but thats' me...)

ECHO would also have a "click" - like power on/off and volume knob - so if it doesn't then it's certainly something else...

Thank you!

:+> Andy <+:

nicky likes this.
  7. nicky

nicky New Member

It does have an on/off click just like a volume control. I guess I'll find out when I get it powered up.

8. nomadradio

And if someone borrowed a used control from a junk radio to install a carrier control, it might have a "click", but nothing connected to the two lugs on the rear where the switch is connected.

nicky likes this.
  9. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

probably a variable power mod

nicky likes this.
  10. nomadradio

Or variable talkback. If so, the control will have been roached out years ago and do nothing when you turn it.

nicky likes this.
  11. nicky

nicky New Member

IMG_2126.jpg IMG_2126.jpg IMG_2127.jpg IMG_2128.jpg IMG_2130.jpg

12. Handy Andy

That's echo...

The long IC in there, I believe, is the "Bucket Brigade" - lots of other support parts though to add to this mystery - so I guess it's not solved yet...

Otherwise it looks pretty clean - I'd like to say you gotta keeper - but then ...

Does it work?

:+> Andy <+:

kaos513 and nicky like this.
  13. nicky

nicky New Member

I have had it hooked to a power supply and it powers up and all channels and lights work but I don't have an antenna yet. I've been busy with a honey-do-list.
    I'm taking it to a guy I contacted in Warren Ohio that works on them to have it checked.I will tell the rest of the story when I pick it up.
    James
    I've got my fingers crossed that it's ok but time will tell.:rolleyes:

14. nicky

nicky New Member

What do you mean "BUCKET BRIGADE" ??? I'm not familiar with that.

15. nomadradio

The technical term is "Charge Coupled Device", or "CCD".

It behaves like a row of electron buckets,so to speak. It has a long string of capacitors, each with a pair of switch transistors. One feeding into it, the other one feeding out. Each pulse of a digital input, called the "clock" will cause each bucket to dump its stored voltage into the next one, and accept the voltage dumped into it from the previous one in line.

To use it for a voice echo, you feed your audio into the first bucket via the analog input pin. The output from the last bucket gets fed back into the input pin. The audio is a string of analog "snapshot" samples of analog voltage you feed into it. The speed of the echo changes when you change the frequency of the clock pulses.

The chip was developed as an image sensor. Each capacitor "bucket" would get charged in proportion to the intensity of light that falls on it. After you close the shutter, you pulse the clock input to get all those analog pixel voltages out of it.

But if you put it inside an opaque black plastic package, nobody will know that it's light sensitive.

nicky likes this.