• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148- Much Higher Performance Receive Setup Than Shottky Diode Receive Mod

Hi folks, me again...

Just popping in here to you on research I've done over this.

IF anyone wishes, you can find more Op-Amp "precision rectifier" designs here...

http://sound.whsites.net/appnotes/an001.htm

But, in light on the many complaints I've received thru the years of working behind the counter and as a backyard "garage" repair "contract" worker - I've come across many different radios that are "derivatives" of the original it was supposed to replace yet fall flat on the receiver performance - where in some cases - ENGAGING the ANL/Noise Blanker circuits induced more noise into the receiver than it removed.

I'm seeing some issues and not to alarm anyone - but - did anyone ever notice the ANL circuit works a lot like a bridge?

I also found several Radio Manufacturers that have "flawed" the ANL process.

So we need to re-look back to the original design and realize that whether Cobra's 148GTL or Uniden's HR2510 or radios in-between the platforms of these two (low level and High-level modulation) are a whole slew of configurations and designs of various values but all are based upon the premise of a bridge circuit.

The problem is, many ANL circuits are "copies" of the original and the lack of understanding how they need to work is - well, evidently disheartening. Many have missing portions of the ANL bridge that if it had been installed, could help the end user from having to complain and demand it to be fixed - How? It's a receiver design - so hence the plea to you the reader as to the mess the ANL shortcomings are, that we need to pay more attention to their (makers) use of the design.

The link above references a term called "virtual ground" which I refer to how the signal floats at potentials below foil ground - meaning that foil ground is more positive at times than the signal mean (A standard deviation term) which will vary as frequency and phase or vector of voltage and current and the maximum effects of deviation are as the signal propagates across R1 and R2 with the polarized cap (reversed polarity) in the middle.

An Idealized ANL and Smoothing filter for Detectors...
ANLFilterBridge.jpg

So as you'll see many of the ANL circuits are missing key components especially at the trailing arm output where the Diode and Cap / Resistor or whatever component used, offsets the signal clipping and can smooth the effects of distorted noise that occurs because the part is missing. Or not properly accessing the "virtual ground". The major complaint is how the receiver seems to sound within noise abatement off, versus the ANL NB usually tied together on - and why when it's on, it's worse than when it's off? I'm often asked - if they can be made separate - in many instances they cannot be separated so they work together and make the mess of the otherwise, a well mannered receiver.

Will add more as time allows...
:+> Andy <+:

Last edited:
CBPhreaker has lots of good information posted here. The one area my thoughts differ in is bypassing the TA7222AP chip or referring to the chip itself as causing any bandwidth limitations. The datasheet for the audio output chip shows a very nice high fidelity test circuit for the chip. It doesn't struggle at all to reach from 20 cycles to 20 Khz. You'll see when Uniden uses this car stereo amplifier for a CB, they change the values of two capacitors used around the chip. On the 148GTL, C179 is determining your low frequency cutoff. Depending on how much bass you want the chip to pass, this value should be increased to between 100 and 220uf.

C176 is part of the negative feedback loop being used to aggressively roll-off the high frequency content. Lowing this value to 470pf will double the treble response so you end up with about 20 cycles to 7 Khz. More than this is a waste on CB and just causes increased bleedover. Just a few more emitter bypass electrolytics and coupling caps through the mic amp stages, take that response right to the mic plug. C174 also has to be increased to either a 4.7 or 10uf. Improving the circuit around the TA7222AP chip, improves RX and TX fidelity simultaneously, while making the best use of the existing active components.

Cobra 148 AM Detector.jpg

Negative Voltage Doubler.png

The AM Diode Detector in a Cobra 148 is a Negative Voltage Doubler circuit.

LowDistrtionDetector.jpg

This will make it a Negative Voltage reacting detector, which is the correct direction to feed the ANL.
Positive voltages were causing the ANL to not function unless in the OFF position (shorted), because you were feeding it the wrong polarity voltage.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?