• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 148 unlock PLL

Hmm. I remember a conversation or two about a pin on that PLL that may need to be puled hi or low - because if left floating - doesn't always "toggle" the right channels.

Maybe this link?
https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/l21-frequency-mod-for-mb8719.234452/

Talks about Pin 10 - acts kinda like a carry function for frequencies.

Only other things I can think of to check is,

Does your radio have a working 10.240 Xtal in it?

well Robalo, i know i haven't been much help on this problem, but i wonder if your tripler coil is doing its thing or not.
i don't have the time to read through the whole thread, so please disregard if you've already exhausted this possibility.
im talking about L21.

do you have 33mhz signals on the emitter of TR20?
if not, can you try fiddling with L21 while you have the freq counter connected to TR20 emitter?
maybe, just maybe, you might get this thing to start oscillating.
totally guessing here...
LC

no radio is not RX and no TX. I want to fix it as factory.

I have a Cobra 148 GTL (Philippines) that I am pretty sure is unlocked since it transmits on the same frequency no matter what channel it is on.It's not even a CB Channel that it does this on? I have a Cobra 29 doing the same thing.

SIX-SHOOTER

well LC tr20 (2sc1675) C and B read 324740 46 MHZ and E do not read nothing and l21 been replace again hmm i am close to the rabbit? tr29 C READS 324850 11 MHZ

Last edited:
Did you replace TR20?

IF not already done so, pull the part - leave everything else in place, power it back up and look for DC voltages on the holes for TR20 - gotta' check BIAS to make sure you don't blow TR20 again. You lost Emitter - unless you have a blown Coil feeding it.

8 Volts on collector - 4 volts on Base and NONE on emitter (DC).

Ok, TR20 IN PLACE? Now remeasure...Collector? Should be about 8 volts, Base? About 4 - Emitter? About 3.3~4V

You may have lost L21 or you have a short somewhere in the can itself.

Reactions: Robalo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?