• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 18 WX ST II (don’t laugh)

There I had to get that in larger print and contrasting color to see it.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Now.....it really wasn't much more for the 203........:(

If you had gotten a 503, you'd be walk'n and talk'n......Bump'n it Down on da Bowl;)

KL60 performance:

With 3 watts in, keys 20 and swings to 45 with clean audio. Pretty much what it claims it will do. (y)
And even better, no puffs of smoke! :D Yet. :whistle:

Robotic Voice Changer & Delay-Echo are but days away.

Somewhere ‘round the house I expect there’s a circa-1973 Hudgens Feeds gennywine gimme cap. Mesh ventilation. That’ll complete the picture till you grow out those sideburns.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Only possible change I foresee now is an A99 on my 18’ mast. Should gain me another S Unit over my 102” whip and Chameleon @ 4’ and still let me work 10, 11, 12 15 and maybe 17 meters. (y) Sounds like a plan. :D

Reactions: Slowmover
KL60 performance:

With 3 watts in, keys 20 and swings to 45 with clean audio. Pretty much what it claims it will do. (y)
And even better, no puffs of smoke! :D Yet. :whistle:

After an evening of use, it is now keying 15 and swinging to 30. Locals can tell no difference but the Daiwa 901 doesn’t lie. And the thing never got hot or even close to it. Hopefully it has leveled out and will stay put. :whistle:

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
After an evening of use, it is now keying 15 and swinging to 30. Locals can tell no difference but the Daiwa 901 doesn’t lie. And the thing never got hot or even close to it. Hopefully it has leveled out and stay put. :whistle:
The gain of a transistor will tend to reduce over its lifetime. I hope the drive level is not kicking its butt. Might want to turn the dead key down a little.

My bad. I didn’t have the PEP switch on (on the back of the meter). :ROFLMAO:

Now it is back to keying 30 and swinging to 45. :D

Think I’ll leave the dead key where it is, Shadetree. (y)
No problem. I bet you would sound better with the dead key lower. Lowering your key will bring your overall modulation up. And its so easy to do on this radio. I put the Nomad Peel N Stick variable dead key in a couple of my Cobra 29s. With the KL203 amp, I could turn the radio key down to 1/2 watt and it would still key the amp.

While listening to myself on a monitor radio with no antenna and headphones, I was able to adjust the key to what sounded good. I ended up at the 1:4 ratio of dead key to peak that everyone talks about. With the key too low, it sounded crunchy like a dump truck radio. With the key too high, the audio sounded weaker. Even while having the monitor radio on my bench, having a high dead key did not make it louder. Having a strong signal doesn't really make you louder, if you are already able to reach the other radio. It is the amplitude or difference between highest and lowest part of the signal that determines the loudness at the other end and is why it is called Amplitude Modulation.

Get your spare radio and put some headphones on it and see for yourself. I bet you will discover what I did. Even if you don't adjust the modulation, you will be able to see what different mics sound like and how to talk into the mic without making the "S" and "T" sounds being fuzzy. It is a real eye opener being able to hear what you sound like. I know it was for me.
Chris

No problem. I bet you would sound better with the dead key lower. Lowering your key will bring your overall modulation up. And its so easy to do on this radio. I put the Nomad Peel N Stick variable dead key in a couple of my Cobra 29s. With the KL203 amp, I could turn the radio key down to 1/2 watt and it would still key the amp.

While listening to myself on a monitor radio with no antenna and headphones, I was able to adjust the key to what sounded good. I ended up at the 1:4 ratio of dead key to peak that everyone talks about. With the key too low, it sounded crunchy like a dump truck radio. With the key too high, the audio sounded weaker. Even while having the monitor radio on my bench, having a high dead key did not make it louder. Having a strong signal doesn't really make you louder, if you are already able to reach the other radio. It is the amplitude or difference between highest and lowest part of the signal that determines the loudness at the other end and is why it is called Amplitude Modulation.

Get your spare radio and put some headphones on it and see for yourself. I bet you will discover what I did. Even if you don't adjust the modulation, you will be able to see what different mics sound like and how to talk into the mic without making the "S" and "T" sounds being fuzzy. It is a real eye opener being able to hear what you sound like. I know it was for me.
Chris

Okay. Will tackle it tomorrow. (y) Thanks!

Chris

Chris, I reduced the dead key to 1 1/2 watts and the KL60 now puts out a 10 watt carrier with a PEP of 40, resulting in the 1:4 ratio you suggested. Reached out to a local and was told it is loud and crystal clear. In the meantime, the lower dead key is easier on the amp. Win/Win. :D Thank you very much. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.