• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 18 WX ST II (don’t laugh)

To finish the adventure of my previous post: as a truck driver, one must know Average Speed. With respect, I’ll find it a surprise if any of you “know” yours even if you’ve used the same cruise control set speed. My truck is governed at 65-mph. As the satellite comms device tracks truck performance, I have an exact record of time spent in driving (HOS electronic logs). If I run my preferred 62-mph (keeps traffic flowing around me) my average — all Interstate miles — will be 55-mph. Loaded or empty. Almost any terrain. Etc.

The value of the CB is manifold. Today, knowing that IH70 was badly jammed from the IH64 intersection and thence across the Mississippi at St Louis, (and then again at the IH64/44 split due to an accident; all of which I could read from the GPS), using the radio to confirm that problem set led to a detour.

“Had to run back thru the woods”, you’ll hear a driver say. A narrow byway for an 18-wheeler.

So the second round of questions posed (where I’m fairly sure I’m getting out over a mile; 1.20 SWR on the 980 and 1.50 on an external meter) was concerning the use of a connecting highway.

While I have the ClrSpkr aboard, the RM ITALY KL203 isn’t. But I was lucky enough to learn my choice from the Road Carrier Motor Atlas was sound by other-driver report.

And it worked.

It’s not the time I arrive at the day’s destination. It’s having enough driving hours to reach it. I’d have lost MORE THAN a half hour in STL traffic (confirmed later with another driver who’d passed me well back in Illinois). My detour added miles and degraded my average mph.

Could have been a loss. Many or most days it doesn’t matter as I’ve no intention of working that hard. Truck driving is about a steady pace.

Had I not been able to “save” that half-hour, I’d have had to stop not thirty minutes earlier, but over an hour as the road chosen is a limited access turnpike.

I’ll still make my delivery, but would have had to get up even earlier than my SLEEP ONLY period of 2200-0200 daily. I violate that and I feel screwed up for two days or more.

As getting home to see my son before he again departs to the Middle East as a contractor,

The proper use of a reliable, quality radio was paramount.

There are no worries with a company driver tossing in a 980 and swapping antennas for something up to the 13’5” limit.

I made a gamble and it paid off. I would have tried it anyway as there was nothing to lose per my rest requirement. But clearly received & transmitted info made for confidence. This is not a car where a mistakes about alternative routes are easily fixed.

No big trucks were ahead of me on the byway south. But two got off and followed me the whole way (18-miles). Neither could produce a credible signal when I called to them.

A straight out of the box 980 is an easy choice, IMO.

Good luck to the OP with what he decides.

Well..I am going to try the most simple way of lowering those watts. If I am not happy with the results then the more “extreme” methods might be taken. If the radio goes kaput then I will have to get a new and better radio. The 980 or McKinley are the ones that stand out and are close (980) to DIN sized.

I will take precautions from members here to use a fan in top of the amp. I don’t use my radio hours upon hours so I am optimistic. Funny I just got a radio for close communication with off road buddies and now it’s becoming something else. I might be already going down the rabbits hole!!

My amp (KL203) arrived today! What puzzles my is that it’s black instead of blue. Looks legit and has paperwork. Also the shipper was wonky in the way they sent it. Amp in box, wrapped in bubble wrap but in a bag marked fragile. Has to be Italian it says “Fragile”!!! LOL

Anyways here are the pics:

EA2B4268-F2EE-4A0D-AAFA-3F7FBF562B8F.jpeg CBAD43E8-796D-4918-AE65-269925A82F52.jpeg C8F88AC9-5E17-4B09-989E-23121E389907.jpeg 3642ACDB-8240-4758-B32D-9FFE8CF90B31.jpeg F9F768EC-0986-411E-8637-A2EA3686A72B.jpeg

So hopefully I will have some time this weekend if not maybe next.

My amp (KL203) arrived today! What puzzles my is that it’s black instead of blue. Looks legit and has paperwork. Also the shipper was wonky in the way they sent it. Amp in box, wrapped in bubble wrap but in a bag marked fragile. Has to be Italian it says “Fragile”!!! LOL

View attachment 34293 View attachment 34294 View attachment 34295 View attachment 34296 View attachment 34297

Huk dat puppy up! Ain't no excuses on da bowl!

Reactions: ForestRunner98
These baby amps (size, first; amp draw, second) make choosing an SSB-capable AM mobile radio the cats meow. One need only focus on transceiver “quality” versus, “will I have enough juice to get heard?”

As it’s reasonable to already be planning to wire the radio to the vehicle battery, it’s not much more difficult to include the specs for the West Mountain Radio ClearSpeaker. (3) devices needing some electricity with no more than a 3% voltage drop. Thus, a covered distribution block as well. Radio + Amp + Speaker

Digital Signal Filtration in the audio means performance exceeds what typical CB radio users can imagine.

(Looking at the wiring upgrade I want for another amp plus radio, etc, just the wire alone is $199 in a mobile install. Bigger ain’t always better as it’ll come down to the antenna system in any event).

Take care and have fun!

View attachment 34293 View attachment 34294 View attachment 34295 View attachment 34296 View attachment 34297

Where did you buy it from? I want a black one too now. Haha

I wish you hadn’t put that up.

I thought I was going to buy a few mics. Base and mobile.

Now I’ve bought three more mobile amps, ha!

A pair of the 203s was $123 grand total.

(Grabbed a 7405v from DNJ, also).

Came home last night and leave again at 0400 Saturday. Next trip home will put together a power harness for this new Pete.

So I grabbed a bag of mics I already owned.

Last edited:
Where did you buy it from? I want a black one too now. Haha

Ya I was surprised by the color! As long as it works!!!

There are a ton of them on ebay, but they all want a ton to ship.
This still appears to be the best deal out there (ships free). (y)

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Rm+kl203

That is a deal!! Have you ordered from them?

I wish you hadn’t put that up.

I thought I was going to buy a few mics. Base and mobile.

Now I’ve bought three more mobile amps, ha!

A pair of the 203s was $123 grand total.

(Grabbed a 7405v from DNJ, also).

Came home last night and leave again at 0400 Saturday. Next trip home will put together a power harness for this new Pete.

So I grabbed a bag of mics I already owned.

So where did you buy from. 2 for $123 is a steal!!

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?