• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 19XS AM power ??

I will tell you what I found out playing around with mic elements, the condenser element will put out strong audio all by itself, just like a power mic. And it will sound better than any power mic to boot. I can easily see how cost cutting on the mic preamp would make a better sounding system with less parts if a condenser element were used.

This was my first rig back in like 83-85. I was like 13.

Was interested in getting one for nostalgia and possibly running with my KL203 amp

All I see online is cut 105 for modulation. That's not what I want.

But I would like to adjust the AM power down abit to be at the 2w or so mark for the 203 to play nice and not burn up.

Anyone have any info on this or a pic of the insides of one they may have in a junk pile?

Photo for reference.

View attachment 34969
That is a neat radio, I didn't even know they existed until you posted this. Its always fun to check out how different radios were done. Hope we aren't throwing your thread too far off track. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: CB590
I will tell you what I found out playing around with mic elements, the condenser element will put out strong audio all by itself, just like a power mic. And it will sound better than any power mic to boot. I can easily see how cost cutting on the mic preamp would make a better sounding system with less parts if a condenser element were used.

Seems that Cobra 19 and 18 -even though they wanted to cut costs by reducing parts count.

You have to admit that it does help the radio when you compare the built-in pre-amps other radios of similar size - you seem to lose a little bit more in the translation from Audio to Signal in the Dynamic versus the Electret.

For something so simple - seems more ways than one...

So you know, if you can't get a standard cartridge 600 ohm mic to work with this, think about measuring voltage at Pin 2 of the Mic - for Audio is sent in thru Pin1 - just can't find "return" for this setup...For Pin5 and Pin 2 short on TX if Plunger Diagram is correct

pin 2 of mike plug has 8.42 volts and regular realistic mike does not work, it tx 6 watts no modulation

@Robalo - Hey! You are AWESOME...

Yeah, be careful with that. especially with Pin 2 - for it does have power thru it.

Hope you caught the Mic wiring section in one of the graphics I sent above - the Mic "cartridge"
(whatever that means)

Here's a Reminder from the Service Manual...
upload_2020-3-9_22-14-44.png

Reactions: Robalo
Sorry for the late post. All 19XS Korean made models use a 500 ohm dynamic cartridge not an electret condenser. I convert a lot of these DIN jack radios over to 4 pin jacks. Hope that explains some of the confusion. Unlike so many of the 19 series, the 19XS never produced a later version that was made outside of Korea.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.