• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 2000 freq counter

1iwilly

Dec 7, 2008
hello to all
can anybody tell me how to fix this issue on my 2000 radio is on frequency external freq counter on the radio display but on transmit the one on the radio
ends in 27.1340 external counter show 27.1350 look at the pic

Attachments

• 20220508_190948.jpg
    20220508_190948.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220508_190954.jpg
    20220508_190954.jpg
    938.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220508_191000.jpg
    20220508_191000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

At least one of them is wrong.
The radio should have a proper alignment and I would use something more than a $69.00 frequency counter to align it with.

David

Odds are they're both wrong. The Cobra 2000 has two small plastic-housed ceramic trimmer caps. One on the USB carrier crystal and one on the counter's reference crystal.

We routinely find these have oxidized and become erratic. If you tune in the 7.8015 on a receiver set for SSB, you'll hear that scratchiness as the pitch of the carrier tone changes when the trimmer screw is turned. A shot of control cleaner tends to clear this up after it gets twirled all the way around both ways a dozen or so times. Once you can hear a smooth change in pitch from the receiver's speaker when the trimmer is turned, there's a good chance that trimmer will stay set where you adjusted it.

But until this gets done, any effort to adjust it may or may not stay adjusted where you set it.

Pretty much every one of these radios we see have noise you can hear in those two trimmer caps when they are turned.

Getting the external counter calibrated calls for a reference that you can trust. For that matter, if the trimmer cap in the external counter is old enough, it could have this issue as well.

What you need now is a frequency reference of some sort that you can trust to be accurate. No other way to calibrate a counter. Can't remember the frequency of the reference crystal in that counter. HP counters will have a socket for using an external reference clock. We found that the 1 MHz internal clock would leak into this socket. Hooking it to a "T" connector, a receiver that can tune in WWV and the antenna gave us a beat note between WWV's carrier and the clock frequency leaking out of the counter. Setting the counter's trimmer cap to zero beat with WWV would put those counters back in calibration.

Reactions: Holydvr
when i bought the radio i was told the radio had been professionally aligned
but time has shown me it might not have moving forward what other thing can be don't to bring it close

i was told the radio had been professionally aligned
So, uh.. if that was the case, either it has drifted off frequency since then. A "touchy" trimmer cap that still needs cleaning could cause that.

-OR-

That claim was false, and those adjustments haven't been touched in decades, either to clean or to adjust them, either one.

Don't see a lot of other likely choices.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?