• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 2000 gtl counter issue

DT307

Nov 21, 2019
brief history i am a kitchen tech from the uk but dont see many of these and no point banging my head against the wall if a common issue .....everything was going fine and i sold this radio for a friend and about a month later was told of a problem with the counter on ssb reads 33.3333 rx and tx and on am rx its 25.5333 and am tx its back to 33.3333. (7.8mhz difference )
whats been done ......counter recap and the service mod to ic512 no change
traced the 7.8mhz through the fet tr516/517 and it is getting amplified and looks clean.
following on from there through ic507 and a pulsed output is present on pin 8 of ic505.
traced the 34mhz again fet/ic512 to pin 8 if ic505 with about the same pulsed amplitude as the 7.8mhz sig.
also on the same pin i have the sum and minus of both frequencies at a much much lower p2p level.
now moving on on pin 12 of ic505 i have a good 34mhz pulsed signal but the 7.8mhz is there but is quite low and in turn low on the input pin9 of the decade counter ic506 .
thats as far as i went fault finding before i wanted to smash it lol
ps the 9v and 5v rails working.
thanks for looking and i hope some 1 seen this problem 1000's of times and say its part ****

regards DT307

brief history i am a kitchen tech from the uk but dont see many of these and no point banging my head against the wall if a common issue .....everything was going fine and i sold this radio for a friend and about a month later was told of a problem with the counter on ssb reads 33.3333 rx and tx and on am rx its 25.5333 and am tx its back to 33.3333. (7.8mhz difference )
whats been done ......counter recap and the service mod to ic512 no change
traced the 7.8mhz through the fet tr516/517 and it is getting amplified and looks clean.
following on from there through ic507 and a pulsed output is present on pin 8 of ic505.
traced the 34mhz again fet/ic512 to pin 8 if ic505 with about the same pulsed amplitude as the 7.8mhz sig.
also on the same pin i have the sum and minus of both frequencies at a much much lower p2p level.
now moving on on pin 12 of ic505 i have a good 34mhz pulsed signal but the 7.8mhz is there but is quite low and in turn low on the input pin9 of the decade counter ic506 .
thats as far as i went fault finding before i wanted to smash it lol
ps the 9v and 5v rails working.
thanks for looking and i hope some 1 seen this problem 1000's of times and say its part ****

regards DT307
ALL SORTED was a bad ic

Reactions: TM86
hi bro i was looking at it wrong and looking for frequencies where i should have been looking at the amplitude of the pulses to cut a long story short i had a spare counter showing 92 mhz that i forgot i had here so sorted that (just alignment) and i was reading the exact same p2p voltages all the way through both the counters stages and the patterns were also good upto and including ic506 pin 9 tc5032p decade counter input.....knew then was a bad ic506 ......removed the bad ic and test fitted in my working counter (some 1 installed a socket :) ) and hey presto the counter stopped working and displayed 33.3333 .........ps are you the same nomadradio (Chris) that works on james radios ... i gave some help with a jackson rx/tx switching and a gerhard maurer module a long time ago? if so hi again bro.......if not just hi lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned