1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Cobra 2000gtl going into transmit

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by CRZNYT, Jun 13, 2018 at 6:36 PM.

1. CRZNYT

CRZNYT Member

Just picked up a 2000 and as soon as radio is turned on it goes into transmit.
    Any ideas??
    Cheers Donnie

2. sonoma

sonoma Sr. Member

does it do it with the mic unhooked?

3. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Unplugging the mike won't allow you to hear the receiver audio. You need a properly-functioning mike to hear the receiver in this radio.

But it will make the red "Tx" light go dark, if the mike is causing your problem.

4. CRZNYT

CRZNYT Member

Short answer yes with the mic unplugged it still goes right to transmit.
    When I first turned it on there was receive but after keying the mic a few times it will not come out of transmit.
    I did back listen to it on another radio in the shack and while there is not much going out the other radio did pick up the 2000.
    I knew it was like this before I got it so not to big an issue.

5. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Next question. What tools do you have?

The schematics and service manual can be had at http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/2000gtl/index.htm

A general-purpose multi meter and soldering iron are probably both necessary.

One more question. If you select "PA" on the PA/CB switch does it stop transmitting? This could serve to narrow down where to look first.

But this switch is popular to "hijack", or rewire to some other purpose. This test means something only if that switch is still wired factory stock.

6. CRZNYT

CRZNYT Member

Yeah it stays in either CB or PA.
    Popped the covers off and there is a fair bit of dust and either dog or cat fur, going to blow it out after work today.

7. jon666

jon666 Well-Known Member

douche it out with water like Timmy does

Robb likes this.
  8. Robb

Robb Yup

LOL - don't say that!
    :LOL:

Seriously, just blow it out with some compressed air - but don't get the air nozzle too close to the board or else parts may get pulled off. You don't have a clue yet as to what hacks are in there with poor solder work flapping in the breeze.

9. CRZNYT

CRZNYT Member

LOL.
    Yeah hadn't planned on the water torcher on the 2000 lol.
    I always stay fairly far away with the hose your right you have no idea who has been on there.
    Thanks guys

kaos513 likes this.
  10. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

anything that conducts electricity should not be washed with water.

11. Robb

Robb Yup

Alcohol will do nice job cleaning up either the top of the board or the trace side. I use an old toothbrush and alcohol to clean off old flux residue, and it works well enough. Using brake cleaner or acetone is a little bit rough on all of the plastic parts inside a radio; so take route with extreme care if you do that.
    I mean; if you must . . .

#11 Robb, Jun 15, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 8:35 PM
  12. sonoma

sonoma Sr. Member

I like the 91% alcohol because it evaporates faster than the lower grade that is on the market.. a tooth brush and alcohol is about the best way to clean up a board. at least that is what I prefer to use.
    forgot to say to lightly blow the board off before the wash and then again after to get rid of all loose items.
    do not use to much air pressure or you will lift a trace or blow one in half with too much air. the canned air is not bad since it does not have a lot of pressure.

13. Dmans

Dmans Member

Water conducts electricity. :D Just saying'

(Unless you are talking about distilled water)

73's
    David