• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 2000gtl off freq's

cbkidd1

May 3, 2005
pa.
Hi, I just got a cobra 2000gtl. And when i transmit the freq counter is showing 1kc off So if i am receiving on 27.0750 When i key. The freq counter shows 27.0751 My question is can i adjust L31 witch is the am tx freq can. Will this put it back on freq? Thanks.

I'm not looking at the alignment instructions right now, but....

Before I just started turning cans, I would put it on a bench and check the appropriate test points with a sensitive frequency counter. You might be able to get it close by doing what you're suggesting, but you also might screw it up worse.

Sorry about that. I did not think that it was that far off to make a difference in my signal.Guess i will have a alignment done. thanks.

I have 2 148f they do the same ting i is un toughed still in the box . That amount i belive is not enough to worry about no one on the othe end wont neve see or hear it being off hook up a good freq counter its prob not off thanks Ben

If your only using the radio on AM then 100 hz is nothing and will never be noticed except for someone who's radio is further off in the opposite direction.

On ssb where frequency is more critical it is only slightly off and whilst aligning it with a good freq counter may get it spot on at the time as soon as the ambient temperature drops/rises significantly the radio will go off freq again as most cb's have oscillators that are temperature sensitive.I've seen radios that have been aligned in a cool room even after being allowed to heat to operating temperature move frequency when being used at operating temperature on a hot summers day,there is nothing you can do about that except use central heating to keep your room at a steady temperature which is a bit much for a cb and useless in the summer when the ambient temperature goes way above what would be comfortable.

its also very common to find radios straight out the box not bang on frequency,allowing for fcc specified frequency tolerance of the radio,manufacturers test equipment tolerance too,the person aligning it doing a good job,the fact its aligned in countries usually much hotter than ours(although that depends on where you live),and vibrations through shipping not to mention the fact most cb's are cheap made with cheap components its surprising they are actually as close as some are.

you have to ask yourself this,its not too far off,can I live with it or if I do it myself and f@ck it up am I willing to pay a tech to fix it? which a) isn't cheap and b) from what I've read on this and other forums some techs in the states would do a worse job than you because they ain't got the knowledge or the right test equipment.And can you guarantee they won't start clipping limiters or doing other stupid shit while they are in there.

its a very risky proposition letting anyone inside your radio if you don't know their capabilities.If they do f@ck it up then you have too pay a better tech even more money to fix their crap work which ends up in you paying large amounts for a job that should cost pennies.

Some food for thought for you.

Being off by only 100 Hz,I would leave it alone. You can really mess things up by not knowing what you are doing and by using test gear that is not calibrated. Besides, by turning the AM pot it will do nothing for thr SSB oscillators and SSB is where the most differance would be seen. Leave it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.