• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 200gtl on its way

Saying that the 200 GTL DX is "a lotta bang for the buck" is an understatement. I am throughly pleased with it. Should be a durable rig, as it is one of the best engineered in its class IMHO. (although the smd are super small and a pain to work, but well worth it!)
This rig will become the 29 of the 10 meter world. :wav

i got my 200 last week and got a chance to tune it up yesterday. i noticed that out of the box it did sound alittle overdriven on high power on lsb with stock mic . am seemed ok. i then did the rejection mods and added talkback. i didn't do the variable talkback but i used a 33kohm resistor instead of a 36kohm. made it just a bit louder. i found it to be perfect for me. i then wired on a shure 514b handheld mic. this is a nice mic but is made to be on a pa system or intercom. wiring is alittle differnt but i like the sound of this mic on ssb. very natural. i then aligned the radio according to corbas specs. i found the carrier oscillator portion to be off and aligned that to spec. i found the modulation to be set way high. if i was using a power mic it probably woulda sounded real bad with any mic gain at all. am high power carrier was set at around 20 watts and the specs are 32watts. with backing down the modulation and upping the am carrier where it should be the audio cleared up really good. nice clean and strong sounding. the amp section was dead on to spec. i'm very impressed with this radio. anyone purchasing this radio should have it aligned before using it. those with a radio out of the box might find some of the audio problems others have had on high power. the mods for talkback and channel rejection work good but being smt i wouldn't advise anyone without the right knowledge or equipment to work on this radio. this radio is very stable with no drift that i can detect. we should all lobby cobra for a base model of this radio. i would trade in my 2980wx for one in a heart beat. this radio is the real deal and i think it is worth more than its sellin for.

It would be nice to see a new different 10 Meter base but due to cost and lack of demand so far Cobra has no interest in doing so. But that may Change in 06. Time will tell.

rugrat shhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!! on the price

RugRat235 said:
i got my 200 last week and got a chance to tune it up yesterday. i noticed that out of the box it did sound alittle overdriven on high power on lsb with stock mic . am seemed ok. i then did the rejection mods and added talkback. i didn't do the variable talkback but i used a 33kohm resistor instead of a 36kohm. made it just a bit louder. i found it to be perfect for me. i then wired on a shure 514b handheld mic. this is a nice mic but is made to be on a pa system or intercom. wiring is alittle differnt but i like the sound of this mic on ssb. very natural. i then aligned the radio according to corbas specs. i found the carrier oscillator portion to be off and aligned that to spec. i found the modulation to be set way high. if i was using a power mic it probably woulda sounded real bad with any mic gain at all. am high power carrier was set at around 20 watts and the specs are 32watts. with backing down the modulation and upping the am carrier where it should be the audio cleared up really good. nice clean and strong sounding. the amp section was dead on to spec. i'm very impressed with this radio. anyone purchasing this radio should have it aligned before using it. those with a radio out of the box might find some of the audio problems others have had on high power. the mods for talkback and channel rejection work good but being smt i wouldn't advise anyone without the right knowledge or equipment to work on this radio. this radio is very stable with no drift that i can detect. we should all lobby cobra for a base model of this radio. i would trade in my 2980wx for one in a heart beat. this radio is the real deal and i think it is worth more than its sellin for.
for sure this radio isway under priced one of the better buys i have had in a long time. wow a base like this would sell like hot cakes for sure. i have one and got it for under $200.00 with the rebate, this just can't be beat with a bat.

i can't find anything wrong with this radio that a proper alignment won't fix. been all over it and had it runinng all weekend. reports coming back that its out doing the ranger in sound clarity and the reciever is alot less harsh but seems every bit as senceitive. i have to keep turning off the lights just to get alook at that glowin front panel. how cool is that :?:

sounds neat but can you still see the writing for the knobs and switches? i'm not the only person that drives my truck so not knowing where stuff was might be a problem. got any pictures of one on a radio?

Phil501 said:
....I still like my old Uniden chassis rigs. I just got my black face Pres Jackson today from good ol Ebay.......Very happy with it, I've been looking for one for a while......
Once again.......Glad you are happy with the radio!

Some guy came on today saying my radio sounded like crap, no more than 5 seconds after hey unkeyed, 3 or 4 guys came on blasting him telling him he's an idiot and telling me my radio sounds great. I don't have enough good things to say about this radio now, great buy.

Disregard all previous comments!!!!!!!

When it talked it talked well!!!!!
But then the mosfet final went out?!?!?!?
And no response from Cobra to my dealer?!?!?!
Its been 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Currently I rate it at a level of POS!!!!!
Currently I rate COBRAs Customer Service at POS!!!!!!!

If you bought one , good luck, they do talk! (when they talk!!!!)

MOSFET are great, but why do they (COBRA) have such a hardtime finding them?!?!?!?!?

I WILL NOT STRAY FROM THE RCI RANKS TO BUY A COBRA EVER AGAIN!!!! *200 :Wavey :x :cry:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.