• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 25 backward swing on meter, no output power.

TalkingTall said:
stirthepot.gif
Im amazed at that answer...lol
stirthepot.gif
Why invest in a signal generator that you think is too expensive to use?
stirthepot.gif
If you think its too expensive to use, you might as well sell it.
stirthepot.gif
If you dont use it then in my opinion you are just another truck stop hack.
stirthepot.gif
Remind me not to take a radio to you.
All my techs try whatever it takes...............................while all the time stirring the brew!

stirthepot.gif
You are implying that the signal generator never gets used.
stirthepot.gif
On a repair job that the radio is worth the time and effort, I say every time!
stirthepot.gif
On a Cobra 25 that I sell used for $40, NEVER!
stirthepot.gif
When you have to use the signal generator that = time....plain and simple.
stirthepot.gif
Even if I were to use an extremely cheap hourly rate of $20/hr, a repair on something like that could easily cost $60 for a $40 radio!
stirthepot.gif
Where is the sense in that?
stirthepot.gif
If I cannot fix it, they do not pay.
stirthepot.gif
HOWEVER, If they want it run on the generator, then a bench fee of $30 applies.
stirthepot.gif
I do not see how that is unfair.

If you dont use it then in my opinion you are just another truck stop hack.
stirthepot.gif

Remind me not to take a radio to you.
stirthepot.gif
In my opinion you are meerly trying to stir a pot sir.
stirthepot.gif
We go the extra mile for the customer and I do not feel we are another hackshop.
stirthepot.gif
Everyone however is entitled to his/her opinion.
stirthepot.gif
I would not have to remind you to do anything, as you live far away in another state and would have to request a mailing address from me to have your radio worked on.

TheDirtMover:

I wasn't going to post in this thread, but you mentioned a figure that made my eyebrows pop up.

Even if I were to use an extremely cheap hourly rate of $20/hr, a repair on something like that could easily cost $60 for a $40 radio!
That implies that it easily takes your tech(s) 3 hours to find a problem in a simple Cobra 25. From my experience, well over 90% of ALL CB/Export problems (even multiple, unrelated problems) can be completely tracked down AND repaired in under 30 minutes, and probably 85% or more can be done in under 15 minutes. Its not my intention to sound rude or belittle you, but if it really does easily take your tech(s) 3 hours to track problems in the simple radios, you definitely need to hire a more experienced tech, or stop charging by the hour.

That said, I completely understand what you mean about not wanting to put extra time into a cheap radio that won't net you much profit. I look at those situations like this: The customer that brings me a small radio, even the little 19's, will be VERY grateful if I can fix his radio, and will VERY likely bring me not only his future business, but the business of others as well. It is a long term investment, much like investing in a stock. The smart investor realizes that its over the long term that the gains are realized. If you keep thinking in the short term by not putting a bit of extra time into even the small jobs when needed, your customers will soon realize that you won't go that extra mile, and your long-term business will suffer accordingly. WORD is the word. Of mouth, that is.

DTB, you are correct. Ususally a problem can be found rather quickly. It always seems however as of late that once you spend 30 minutes finding one problem, it lends itself to a new problem, especially in antenna systems (which has nothing to do with the repair of the radio, yet is still part of the job). Usually, insead of charging a guy $60 to fix his Cobra 25, I will sell him a Cobra 25 that is ready to go for $50, when there is time, fix his 25 and do the same thing for someone eleses radio. Funny thing is, I dont have any 25 parts radios here. I only have a PC76XL and a Soundtracker 29 for 29 type parts radios (one got hit by lightning). That must say that radios actually get fixed here which is more than I say for alot of shops I've been to. The customer is happy to be on the road faster doing this and he is not getting ripped off! The $20 and hour thing is something I just threw out to make a point as I was being attacked by someone
stirthepot.gif
. I would expect this rate would and should be much higher. With the workload we face, we manage to keep up. This is done by getting the easier jobs out of the way first, then concentrating on all the tougher jobs when you dont have some guy standing over your shoulder in a rush to get wherever hes going with his hot load. Fact is though, how many places would never find the problem becasue they do not posess the proper equipment to find the problem. 99% of the time we find the problem. However, it is in our spare time or less busy time. There is no shortage of work. I do this part time and am co-owner. I have no qualms about expressing my knowledge which is limited. I do what I can to help with the workload and hand it over to the "tech." My business associate is the tech. He breezes through work. It is just 2 people (me parttime) and frankly, we are slammed. Do you know of any qualified "techs" for hire here? I don't and that is why all the shops are on your blacklist! There are none to go around! In looking at your Blacklist DTB, it shows all the shops in Phoenix on that list with the exception of us. I do not wish to be included and frankly I do not think that our work is consistant of the quality of work that comes out of the competition. In fact, they are quite good for business because when they can't fix it, it comes over here and the job gets done.

My primary goal in the business is customization, thus the custom faceplates, special covers, and the "bluething." You must admit, I am doing what I set out to do. Without doing through one of our radios, you cant really say we know what we are doing or not. My business associate puts in aproximately 14 hrs. a day working on radios and has 15 years experience as a "tech" for a well known shop and in business for himself for the last 8 years. We have a strong customer base and get alot of work via mail. We could not do this is we were a hack or ripping off customers.
WORD is the word. Of mouth, that is.
90% of our business is word of mouth. Pretty good when you don't have to advertise, huh? One other FACT, and I don't know of ANYONE elese doing this is.....if a drivers radio needs an extended stay for repair because we are too busy to get to it right now, he will get a loaner radio. You don't think that keeps em comming back and sending more work?

As a matter of fact I wasnt stirring the pot. I dont look at a radio as being something that Im going to try to make a few bucks off of.If I take my radio in to be repaired, I would expect the tech to make his best effort in repairing it.
If you had a flat tire and took it in to have it changed I take it you would tell the guy doing it to just junk the car if he had to apply some heat to take the lug nuts off...Anyhow no need to answer, I dont want to screw this guys thread up anymore than it is. Im sure he might be awaiting an intelligent answer from some one else...Have a nice day...

Well, keep taking your radio to your tech. You know, techs are kinda like barbers. If you find a barber you like, keep going back, just like your tech.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.