• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 25 backward swing on meter, no output power.

Randy Nix

Jul 11, 2005
Tennessee
I've got a 25 that I changed the meter light on, that's all. The driver takes to truck and comes back saying the meter is swinging backward when keyed. I checked and it is. No movement at all on my power meter. I changed the final, no luck. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Hey Randy ? .....Does the Audio Transformer (the big one) get hotter then hell when keying this radio ?

that's a good thing Randy ....really sounds strange about what has happened to this 25 ? Did you happen to check the protection diode ? .......I mean it wouldn't hurt to start with the easy stuff . I've had a few radios like that in the past and never could figure them out )-: the twilight zone comes to mind.

Randy Nix said:
I've got a 25 that I changed the meter light on, that's all. The driver takes to truck and comes back saying the meter is swinging backward when keyed. I checked and it is. No movement at all on my power meter. I changed the final, no luck. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

How are you measuring this?
My thoughts are that it is the radios mods that are causing this.

Unless it behaved differently before.

You ever been in a back room of a radio shop that has been around for a while ? 9 out of 10 of those shops will have stacks of parts radios (-: ones they could fix /ones they spent hours of exploratory surgery on them and couldn't fix / ones they couldn't fix / even ones they fixed but the customers never came back to get them. Time is money and how truly importent is it to the customer or the tech ? I've seen radios over the years simply just stop working ?? ......all the major parts would check out in the good but yet the radio decides to just not want to work anymore )-: you either have the knowledge and the tools and the time to figure it out .....or sometimes it's cheaper in the long and short of it to buy a new one and just add the other one to that sometimes money making stack of parts radios (-:

Man, If I have to break out the signal generator it has already cost more than its worth to fix that radio in most cases. This is unless it is a high end radio. Thank goodness it usually never comes to that. We do not charge if we cant fix the problem, and we dont charge "bench fees" so you really cant spend alot of time on a "problem" radio. I am curious as to whoelese does this. Or am I all screwed up? :arrow: :p

Dirtmover, I tend to use the same policy, although I often out a bit more time into some of them. I don't charge a bench fee (other than when I test amps). I keep all of my equipment powered up and ready to connect within a few seconds, so "breaking out" a generator doesn't apply to me. I too will not charge if I don't fix the problem. There are some rare exceptions where a radio is partly fixed, but the customer is out of waiting time and wants to keep his radio with him. I'lll then only charge for whatever parts/labor were involved.

We stand behind the policy. Alot of times they will give you the radio for your time. For example. We have a "parttime" radio thats been on the bench for 2 monthes. It's a Superstar 360FM that we cant find schematics to. Asside from that, we have fixed about 10 major things in it and its time to put it on the signal generator. Frankly, the radio at this point isn't worth fixing.......BUT, you hate to let that one go that you couldn't fix! We will give it one final quick shot to fix it this week then it goes back. I dont have the heart to charge a guy $100 to fix a $100 radio! (Mabee it got hit by lightning!)

thedirtmover said:
Man, If I have to break out the signal generator it has already cost more than its worth to fix that radio in most cases. This is unless it is a high end radio. Thank goodness it usually never comes to that. We do not charge if we cant fix the problem, and we dont charge "bench fees" so you really cant spend alot of time on a "problem" radio. I am curious as to whoelese does this. Or am I all screwed up? :arrow: :p

Im amazed at that answer...lol
Why invest in a signal generator that you think is too expensive to use?
If you think its too expensive to use, you might as well sell it.
If you dont use it then in my opinion you are just another truck stop hack.
Remind me not to take a radio to you.
All my techs try whatever it takes......

the 3 crystal ss360fm with pb010aa and ab board is same as export 148gtl and covered in lou franklins uniden export manual, the older 5 crystal is same as old cobra export and harder to find the schematic, i have an old scruffy copy somewhere but its barely readable.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.