• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 Driver Final

Hey Justin ? Lets say we were dealing with a dozen Cobra 25 LTD classics and will say they were all built around 1995 ....Would you say there could be a few better 25s in the bunch then the others ? ...reason I ask this is because i've gone through many radios in my time (IM no expert here) and some just have seemed to do more then others ...is there an answer to why this might me ? parts maybe ? ....I've even seen them with the 10.240 crystals that were in them a 1/4 of the size of the normal ones that would basically make the radios dogs and even somewhat off freq !! change them to a normal sized one and the radios would come back to life !! I've also been very impressed with the 1969 mod's on these AM radios ...I've never heard the mod streight from a tech's mouth but in many ways I can understand why so I've done the best that I could from others know hows ..just the 2314 driving it is surely a nice pick me up, a few watts DK and a good 10 to 15 watts pep more ......cap resistor mod 2 to 35 on a 25 ain't bad to say the least ....I've yet to see the 45 to 50 watt numbers but IM still working at it .....So about what I said early and going back to the dozen 25s .....I've done the driver and resistor on a few of them and I just didn't see the numbers that I saw on others ? ....IM thinking you might understand what IM getting at here ? .....Can we rest to say that just some are better then others ? ...thanks for your time. S-K

Copy on the cheap Justin !!! ....not to say the newer radios can't be modded to work well ,IM just a old cb'er from way back ...I love the the first run 40 channel radios !! You would think with all this newer technology that these newer cb radios would be better but it seems like the opposite in many ways , I still can't believe that Uniden gave up on the Grant run ? Well ...I can go back to the early 90's when I worked part-time for Joe at J&S CB Radios in San Gabriel Ca. ...even then he had said that if FCC had there way that the newer run radios wouldn't come close to the older models ? well so far I see what he was talking about back then (even though I hear and have read the stories about Cobra deciding to go a cheaper route in the manufacturing of there radios were Uniden didn't) ...Cheap as you put it ! but I also see were tech's can sometimes get around the "cheap" and still make a radio perform well ...again I say ,IM just a cb'er from way back ,I'd still take an old Grant or 148GTL over a 949/959 any day of the week .This is what helps me understand why the Galaxy 33s on up (10 meter) converts and many of the other 10 meter radios seem to make for better cb radio operations .,even though the few I've had over the years have always seemed to be better sideband radios then there AM counter part.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.